Organization of sockets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have a really good idea for organizing sockets? This...
View attachment 61406
...isn't working for me! I can never find the socket head I want. And sockets always fall off those silly spring-loaded holders.

During the resto of RaySea Lady I was also using small tubs and zippered pouches. Over time it became an odd assortment of sockets, plyers and box wrenches. Finally decided to get organized- tool and space-wise - and picked up this toolset. Been very pleased with it so far. (Exception was longer extensions for each ractchet).

[https://m.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html/[URL]

I too leave mine in the molded kit they come in, you can tell right away after a chore if one has been left behind, maybe in the bilge. Over the years I have had to buy some odd sizes that didn't come in the set originally they usually fit somewhere in the box.

A year ago, I bought this set for the boat: Husky Mechanics Tool Set (205-Piece)-H205MTS - The Home Depot

With some larger sockets, wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers from Harbor Freight, I have plenty of tools for most jobs, and a small investment if I lose or damage one. And like most, these have been supplemented by tools needed along the way.

This spring, I am going to go through all the tools on the boat and cull those that are not really needed or redundant.

Those molded plastic holders the kits come in are likely what the OP started out with. Like mine, the first things to fail are the clips that keep the thing closed. Then all the tools end up in a jumble on the floor, or in the bilge.
I presently have a Sears box that I keep a strap around to try to hold the tools in and a Costco box that the lids still close on, but the locking clips are long gone, so any movement is a two hands job. Eventually I will build myself a wooden organizer. I am thinking rows of dowels, and a bin for the handles and open end wrenches.

I use the little tray that came with the toolbox. Note the aforementioned gloves.
img_521968_0_4da0dceb13f5fd838553bd35b06b2387.jpg

A belated "Thanks" for all the replies! Sorry for the late response! The set I have is Sears Craftsman, and came in a cardboard box, with no organizer. It's only lightly used, and quite complete. The magnetic organizer looks like the most interesting option so far. Canadian Tire has them, I believe, but more expensive than I'd like.

Whatever I get, it's got to work in the marine situation, and hold everything together...and fit in the [a] toolbox.

I am mystified by the attraction of black-finished tools. Husky has many sets - its bad enough when a bilge-ferret gets a hold of a socket but a black one? I know impact sockets have always been black but fortunately are rarely on my boat.

I use these:

Sears.com

Different sizes for different drives. Gray for SAE, black for metric... or maybe it's the other way around. :) Sockets loaded onto the holders in size order. Additional slides available, if your sockets exceed what will fit on the basic product.

Not sure if those are the holder you mean, but I've never had a socket voluntarily escape... in fact, it takes some work to pry one off...

Hmmm... Works from here, so can't tell what's wrong with it.

The other way is to navigate to Sears.com, then search "socket holders".

I should maybe have added, maybe not obvious from the pic on the link, the rail studs snap into sockets exactly the same way a drive snaps into a socket.

-Chris

I've had several versions of the metal spring clips rails and never liked them...
the sockets either fall off or they are so tight they are hard to get off.

I don't have these but they look like the best alternative I've seen if you want something that won't only be used in one of those nice multi-drawer tool chests - something that can go into a tool box / bag or hang on the wall.

They have a twist lock feature that looks good -
You can get extra holders to slide on a rail if needed
add-on clips for extension bars also available if desired
about $10 / rail or $20-25 for a set of 3 I think I'll try a set of these

Tekton Socket Organizers

Ernst Socket organizers

Socket Holder Review

Attachments

• Tekton socket organizers.jpg
    Tekton socket organizers.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 126
avoid magnetic ones if you will ever remove them from the draw. if you drop it your sockets will go every where. i use several different organizers but the best on i have is made up from the sears socket strips posted by ranger42c. i screwed them to a sheet of heavy plastic with handles on each end. lowes now carries something very similar to what i made. you can also attach magnets to the back if you want to keep it from moving around when doing engine work, ect..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Steel-Storage-Tray/3381278

I don't have these but they look like the best alternative I've seen if you want something that won't only be used in one of those nice multi-drawer tool chests - something that can go into a tool box / bag or hang on the wall.

They have a twist lock feature that looks good -
You can get extra holders to slide on a rail if needed
add-on clips for extension bars also available if desired
about $10 / rail or $20-25 for a set of 3 I think I'll try a set of these

Those looks similar to the Sears rails I'm using. The Craftman ones are not twist-lock, though; just snap on as if installing a socket on a drive.

I have four rails (two each, SAE and metric), two drives, and various extensions in one drawer... of my multi-drawer tool chest. :) And then two rails and one drive (the smaller 1/4" drive set) in the "upstairs" toolbox for more common daily chores.

The original plastic box the whole set came in wasn't bad, actually, but some of the sockets would still occasionally travel within the box... and it was taking up additional space when I had some excess capacity in the multi-drawer. If that changes, I could go back to the original box if necessary. Even though I've had to add a few specific sockets to the original set, there's a free space in the box for additional "stuff" (although without much organization).

-Chris

Last edited:
The sears ones use a spring loaded detent ball. They hold nice and tight. So no worries about them falling off.

Back
Top Bottom