New boat for new trawler life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abeneteau

Veteran Member
Hello all,

Newbie trawler beginner. Building a new trawler with Kanter Marine in Canada. I couldn't find a Kanter discussion so I figured I'd post here :). It is a new design by Greg Marshall and built by Kanter marine. We used to own a sailing catamaran but figured we'd eventually be going to a trawler just skipped a step. Here is a picture on the LRC 35 which is well under construction and should be (supply chain gods willing) ready by June of '22. It has been a 2 years endeavour.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 75
  • exterior pics.png
    exterior pics.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks like the little room across from the bathroom has a bunk below the dinette? My Bayliner had that kind of an arrangement, making the bunk up was always a hassle but the space was really comfortable for sleeping. Looks like a nice layout!

Thank you. She is 37' overall and a 13' beam. The bunk is actually quite high as I had the boat designed with 6'7" min. headroom clearance. The main cabin has about 7' 4" head clearance. I am 6'6" tall so I figured we'd go for comfort. We compensated for windage and single screw with a bow and stern thruster. Forgot to mention this is an aluminum trawler....

Last edited:
That looks super sweet. I love aluminum boats. Are you going to paint it? I vote for no paint and 120 grit random orbit sander finish on all exterior surfaces above the boot stripe. That way the finish is easy to match later if you need to sand out a scratch or stain. I was traumatized by the failing paint on my previous aluminum trawler.

Congrats! Nice design...with a REAL shower :)

Hi Snapdragon,
No we are not painting the hull. The topside are going to painted white with white nonskid deck. We are going to be vigilant with keeping up on any paint bubbles etc. An incredible amount of work goes into fairing and prepping the metal. The cost of the boat would double if we wanted to paint the whole thing!!! Yikes. The window area will be painted black.

Last edited:
Looks really nice. And a real shower is a game changer for ,e.

One question though on the port aft side of the salon. Why have that window looking aft there? On Flemings I have seen it both ways and no window there doesn’t take away from the interior feel yet adds much more usable space.

I could see a full sized (or full height) refrigerator there instead. If that didn’t take up all the depth, maybe a wet locker behind it opening from the aft deck.

Obviously it’s hard to get a true perspective from a few drawings but just musing

Looks great though!

Port side aft

Hi and thank you for your post. I am including what the boat actually looks like inside I treid to post these pics earlier but dont know where they ended up. This should answer your question.

Attachments

• IMG-6573.jpg
    IMG-6573.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-6569.jpg
    IMG-6569.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-6570.jpg
    IMG-6570.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 32
We wanted windows for visibilty from the helm and a 360 view with as little blind spots as possible.

The hull does not shout ‘trawler’. What power are you using and what is the predicted performance?

The hull does not shout ‘trawler’. What power are you using and what is the predicted performance?

It's a semi displacement hull, D4 300 Volvo engine, est. hull speeds 8 Knts cruising 17 Knts. WOT. Similar to the Nordic or American Tug. Keeping in mind those are computer generated estimations.

Last edited:
I like it! I was looking at a Cutwater 30. A little smaller but a very close layout.

Hello all,

Newbie trawler beginner. Building a new trawler with Kanter Marine in Canada. I couldn't find a Kanter discussion so I figured I'd post here :). It is a new design by Greg Marshall and built by Kanter marine. We used to own a sailing catamaran but figured we'd eventually be going to a trawler just skipped a step. Here is a picture on the LRC 35 which is well under construction and should be (supply chain gods willing) ready by June of '22. It has been a 2 years endeavour.

I'm a huge fan of Greg Marshall, a protege of William Garden. Nice boat.

Greg Marshall big thank you.

I'm a huge fan of Greg Marshall, a protege of William Garden. Nice boat.

Great people to work with as well !! They took their time to understand how we intend to use our boat and what we were looking for in her.

Back
Top Bottom