Name this yacht!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Calamity Jane

From looking at the photos, the boat just eased into gear, not heavy throttle, or they pulled it out of gear very quickly, as with a 355,000 pound boat (half load as full is 390,000 and light is 325,000) and 5200 hp, heavy throttle would have left a far worse picture. The damage seems to just reflect the size of the attacking boat.

Note an article says 260 tons but that's GRT tonnage, not weight. Supposedly the boat moved about 300 feet.

Check out the video in the other thread. It was tied to the dock, then goes in gear with a bunch of throttle and prop wash. Don't know how much throttle, but way more than idle. I suspect the only reason it stopped when it did is because someone got to the kill switch.

Short of a device failure of some sort, my first guess would be a wing station what had been left in gear at elevated throttle, and that somehow it became selected and the boat took off. I had a fly bridge station where the stick always ended up forward as a result of installing and removing the canvas cover. But the selector control shouldn't transfer unless the old and new stations are either in neutral or matched in settings. At least that's how Glendinning, Mathers, and Twin Disc do it. But I know Westport does a lot of their own controls, and maybe this is part of it? Either way, it would be really interesting to hear what actually happened. Still got contacts at Westport who would know?

Check out the video in the other thread. It was tied to the dock, then goes in gear with a bunch of throttle and prop wash. Don't know how much throttle, but way more than idle. I suspect the only reason it stopped when it did is because someone got to the kill switch.

Short of a device failure of some sort, my first guess would be a wing station what had been left in gear at elevated throttle, and that somehow it became selected and the boat took off. I had a fly bridge station where the stick always ended up forward as a result of installing and removing the canvas cover. But the selector control shouldn't transfer unless the old and new stations are either in neutral or matched in settings. At least that's how Glendinning, Mathers, and Twin Disc do it. But I know Westport does a lot of their own controls, and maybe this is part of it? Either way, it would be really interesting to hear what actually happened. Still got contacts at Westport who would know?

My understanding is that these controls were most likely Marine Technologies RCS with 4 stations. I do have contacts who would know but not going to contact them.

I doubt seriously that any information will ever be publicly disclosed by Westport as they've long been geared toward privacy. If an official report is created, it might disclose.

One point too is that there are engine shut off's at all the stations.

A reminder to each of us too that just because you've done something dozens of times and never had a problem, doesn't mean you don't need to be as careful and attentive and you can't have a problem next time. Westport has certainly launched many boats there and pulled many to that same fuel dock and likely all six crew aboard this boat has done it many times.

Luv Raftin

Lot to be said for cable driven controls and a neutral detent switch to prevent accidental in gear starts.

Ted

Lot to be said for cable driven controls and a neutral detent switch to prevent accidental in gear starts.

Ted

Been a lot of people to have trouble with cables over the years too. I suspect this boat was already running, just not planned on going into gear and we have no idea why or how it did.

Been a lot of people to have trouble with cables over the years too. I suspect this boat was already running, just not planned on going into gear and we have no idea why or how it did.
Most cable failure accidents are a result of the "Accident Chain". The concept is that there are 2 or more problems that each by themselves don't cause an accident, but combined, snowball.

First, cables and related hardware, aren't maintenance free.
Second, systems such as those require periodic inspections.
Third, stiff operation is a warning to be heeded.
Finally, the ability to overpower stiff operation, will not work long term, and fail at the worst possible time.

Ted

Last edited:
So we just had a thread going on the pros and cons of electronics inserted into the propulsion systems of our vessels, and here is quite possibly another vote against.

Looked in the movie like he went to go astern and went fwd

Blunderbuss

Back
Top Bottom