Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
@BruceK (re. the blue Masters 51 you referenced above, https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/masters-51-yacht-fisher/308520/):

That boat caught my eye, too—that would make a lovely live-aboard for us, with the separated cabins. But at 35l/h engine and genny consumption at 11kn, not really much different to what we have. And we have done everything to ours now, so the Admiral just wants to enjoy her!

I wonder if it's the owner selling?
It reads like a FSBO advert. As the Admiral is happy enjoying the boat, best you do too :), but I suspect you enjoy new fields of boating. It`s a big 12KVA genset but the boat is over 50 ft. The interior refit had me wondering if there`d been some "mishap" but the ER equipment looks original enough.

Clem Masters designs were said to be "foolproof", my 34 was surefooted on its transits between Sydney and Broken Bay, better than the IG36 replacing it. Although the current Integrity is based on the IG, it`s a much better seaboat, along Clipper 40 lines. Unlike the Clipper you can pass between the engines.Andy Diehm, expert used Clipper broker, said he was like a snake in an ER and he couldn`t.

Last edited:
I had to look up "FSBO advert", and you're right I suspect. And as for enjoying new fields of boating... what makes you say that? :)))

I will look at that one again and get back to you. And passing between the engines is essential for me.

Yes, Bayliner changed the tag on their cruising boats to "Meridian" sometime in the 20-teens. I know they're not for everyone, but Bayliner always had very nice and comfortable lay-outs and even hull design on their cruisers. I've owned one and run several. I never understood the bad-mouthing they seem to get.

Yes, Bayliner changed the tag on their cruising boats to "Meridian" sometime in the 20-teens. I know they're not for everyone, but Bayliner always had very nice and comfortable lay-outs and even hull design on their cruisers. I've owned one and run several. I never understood the bad-mouthing they seem to get.

The bad mouthing came mostly from the smaller Bayliners (under 32-ish feet). They were built in a different location than the bigger stuff, built more cheaply, and because they were inexpensive boats, they often went to bad owners that failed to take care of them, earning them a reputation as throwaway junk. The bigger stuff got caught in that reputation, but didn't deserve it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-north-sea-trawler/7727081610.html

Nice looking vessel and fun story on the designer too...

Is the price USD or CAD, either way it seems a bit on the high side for essentially a custom build (if one were to compare with a Nordhavn, etc...).

No doubt the vessel is worth every penny, but it seems difficult to get top dollar for boats without a well known name behind it...

Greetings,
Mr. cH. Nice BUT not one picture of the ER or mechanical spaces. Those areas are the FIRST ones I look at in any boat. Poor housekeeping in the "hidden" spaces tells all about the general condition IMO.

RTF: that is my go-to principle for boat ads, too: If no ER images, no battery bank images, and no wiring images, then delete. I always ask for underwater shape/running gear images, too, if I am interested.

But others here have a different take on this, to the effect that some ads (at least) are only 'teasers', and that an interested party can then request these additional images, and having been doing this recently, I am finding that some brokers (and sellers, if selling directly) are happy to respond. I'm relaxing my conditional response a little!

That boat that prompted these comments looks superb, but way out of my price range.

And (still talking about the same vessel), from the ad:

The vessel's Maretron monitoring system displays the temperature of 16 critical components of the vessel on a real time basis.

The housekeeping looks pretty good from here!

Last edited:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2002-north-sea-trawler-9286804/

Yes a very nice and interesting boat , wood work in wheelhouse like I dream.
62' steel hull not too big perfect for a small crew.
But in another hand toooo much equipment/electronic etc all this things you must maintain or paid for some one do that in case of problem, More I became older more I like K.I.S.S. principle :)

And the last problem...even if we sold our actual 72' alloy at her "asking price" we could only afford ...1/3 of this 62' steel trawler :-(((
No way the next one will be a "very" small one for $$$$ reason :)
But nice like witch one was for sale in New Orleans last year for 300k€ (for electrical problems reason ... and huge quotation to solve that )

Photo of this one

sold in New Orleans last year.
Quotation for repair her few hundred thousand dollar (from the yard where she was), they said can't move by herself.
But classic trawler look nice wood work also
Two cabin + crew

Attachments

• timonerie 2.jpg
    timonerie 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 6
  • yachtPhoto1028_280495be6e3426a8ef.jpg
    yachtPhoto1028_280495be6e3426a8ef.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 11
  • yachtPhoto1028_18575be6e287bb46d.jpg
    yachtPhoto1028_18575be6e287bb46d.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
  • yachtPhoto1028_120075cc1da92a4036.JPG
    yachtPhoto1028_120075cc1da92a4036.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • yachtPhoto1028_240915be6e3401a768.jpg
    yachtPhoto1028_240915be6e3401a768.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 12
Greetings,
Mr. NS. Thanks. Yep. Nice boat including the ER. Quite obvious that the condition of the ER is not a shyte and shinola job (no paint over spray etc.).

Please read
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5e1dd52be5274a4e7e33e264/msn_1792_edition_2.pdf
and related documents. In order to recieve a MCA zero rating the concerns posted by others are addressed. In particular in the structural section and discussion of downflooding risk in the supplements and throughout the primary document links of loss of integrity are discussed.
Think it highly unlikely the British government would allow this Arksen to be certified as unlimited use cat. zero if the above posters concerns had merit. Will say again we have no information about the detailed specs for glass, doors or hatches. Or even plating. We have not seen a Gz curve (empty, full and 1/2 full). We have not seen an inclination test. Without this information and seeing the MCA zero application above comments are speculative.
BTW ever since Oyster starting putting in those three ugly windows in their hulls glass can be stronger than the surrounding hull. That tech has improved with the decades since. Talking about A/B and righting arms without knowing A/B and righting arms seems a bit silly. We don’t even know how much the third level contributes to stability or reversal from inversion. I don’t like this design for other reasons. It doesn’t have the heart warming dinghy effect for me. Agree looking back at her as I leave in a dinghy she looks top heavy to me. Whether that’s true I don’t know and think none of us do. We won’t unless we dig into the weeds. But I accept the unlimited use MCA zero rating. H posted a very appealing 62’ above. Have no reason to suspect the Arksen doesn’t have better numbers and ratings. Still that 62 looks right. It’s a three level boat as well.

Last edited:
Sorry must be me, but beautiful?
No, far too high for me, the proportions are not right, which detracts from the model.

Mvg,

Pascal.

FPB 78-3 UGLY BETTY, lying San Jose del Cabo today

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 23
I would sacrifice my Soul if I owned something like that. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are many who love those things.....

The FPB's are my absolute dream boat. A couple summers ago we made friends with the owners of a FPB 64 in Alaska and buddy boated for a few weeks. It was an amazing boat, but there were definitely some downsides. The biggest one being that their insurance was $50K a year! Our boat's insurance was less than 1/10th as much, and we were doing the same trip, and our boat had done the trip between New Zealand and PNW more times than theirs had. I still want an FPB, but it made me appreciate what I have a little more.

Last edited:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-north-sea-trawler/7727081610.html

Nice looking vessel and fun story on the designer too...

Is the price USD or CAD, either way it seems a bit on the high side for essentially a custom build (if one were to compare with a Nordhavn, etc...).

No doubt the vessel is worth every penny, but it seems difficult to get top dollar for boats without a well known name behind it...

That is a cool boat But I feel like it is priced about 300% above what it will sell for. This one has been for sale forever at close to 1/3 the price, and still hasn't sold.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2004-real-ships-expedition-yacht-8329391/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.15.01 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.15.01 PM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.21.07 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.21.07 PM.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
You are right for the high

Sorry must be me, but beautiful?
No, far too high for me, the proportions are not right, which detracts from the model.

Mvg,

Pascal.

When I show her to my wife made a grimace, and I quickly pay with "Paint" to lowered the profile...but she continue to made a grimace :)
Oups forgot the "transformer" :)
Don't find the draft of this one ? 2m or more ?

Attachments

• silo.JPG
    silo.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
FPB 78-3 UGLY BETTY, lying San Jose del Cabo today

Another three level boat in Al much like its derivative Arksen. Prefer the Arksen as think the redundancy details are better executed.

Thanks for posting the Oliver Van de Meer boat L-C.
Believe Van de Meer designed most of the Puffin sailing yachts. Find those drop dead gorgeous and very functional blue water boats. We looked at one before doing our new build. Probably should have bought it as it was priced right. Wife was nervous that it would be our first Fe boat so went grp. Think Van de Meer has a much better eye for sail than power.
https://www.puffin.nl/. one we looked to buy was a 50’ centerboard owned by a ships captain and totally Bristol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom