Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
. I have never seen a yacht with such a seemingly disproportionately large bow.

Booby Bird - all offers considered

0_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...sel/23m-steel-passenger-charter-vessel/247859

Eastern Voyager

1_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/fishing-charter-business/286742

These look like normal big sea fishing trawlers. Bows look "proportionate" to their purpose and work area to me.

My picture of Big Joy is not at an angle that emphasizes how weired it looks (at least to me). It looks like somebody set out to build a super yacht, but started to run low on funds after the first third of the yacht was built. Had to cut somewhere! I think it would have looked more "normal" had it been a considerably longer.

Agree with Scott. Bow looks even higher as pilot house seems to start between stations 2 and 3 much like North Pacific crabbers. Looks purposeful and appealing in post #13351 And stupid in post #13350.

Clicked on the links
IKEA interior and general styling, or lack of, does nought for me

extra-large

Would rather take Booby Bird and throw some coin at her to bring her back to something nice

Re. Booby Bird: that 'Draft: 3.82m' detail would really limit where we could go locally, and even the new marina at Shellharbour is only 3m at low tide.

Re. Booby Bird: that 'Draft: 3.82m' detail would really limit where we could go locally, and even the new marina at Shellharbour is only 3m at low tide.

Boats like that aren't meant to be in marinas
They a made to be "out"

But I get your point
I miss the shallow draft our previous cat had
But I enjoy our load carrying ability and comfort more.

I definitely get "made to be 'out'"! And completely get load carrying and comfort. With a vessel like Booby Bird, you'd simply have to factor in a bigger and faster tender. Not a problem.

Clicked on the links
IKEA interior and general styling, or lack of, does nought for me

extra-large

Would rather take Booby Bird and throw some coin at her to bring her back to something nice

The picture from the above post makes it pretty clear that it's not a sea going boat. While the bow was built to optimize interior space, the swim platform is built for calm water between size and closeness to the water. It's a townhouse, designed to be the most possible interior space for a given "length over all".

Ted

I'll skip the "townhouse", pass GO, and land on "Booby Bird".

The picture from the above post makes it pretty clear that it's not a sea going boat. While the bow was built to optimize interior space, the swim platform is built for calm water between size and closeness to the water. It's a townhouse, designed to be the most possible interior space for a given "length over all".

Ted

I would think it would be prone to roll, as it looks so top heavy. But then, it probably has stabilizers. Hmmm. Townhouse with stabilizers?

Also interesting is that it must have been 5 years in the planning. Launched in 2019 and then put up for sale in 2021.

He will own that boat for YEARS... very thin market for those at any price. There was 1 in the Fl panhandle with minimal use that was priced at 14k......for months. Nice rugged boats ,but limited use for them. Good inland cruisers if you don't mind the double cabin setup.

I think this is the boat in the classifieds. Hope he proves me wrong and someone gets their dream boat.... But I do kick myself for not buying it at 14k...lol..

Last edited:
This engine room picture with the day tank, remote fuel filters w/ priming pumps, remote oil filters, dry exhaust, backup throttle and shift controls, John Deere's, etc. That is my dream setup!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.50.16 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.50.16 PM.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 40
Hmm, the solar panels are shading the solar panels. Sorta self-defeating.

He must be powering his aircon

Fresh pic today but I've put her up before
I could very easily live with this as a full time cruiser in sub tropical to Equatorial waters.

Imagine a roof of solar panels extending out over the front from lower level providing power and massive shaded area.
Out door setting, bbq, inflatable pool under solar panel roof
A vehicle even.
Front gate dropped making a walk off and on private beach at anchor
Pull up to public boat ramp, offload vehicle.

So very practical.
Form follows function.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692945501744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692945501744.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 36
SunReef 80 ECO

Saw this today here in Poros, Greece.
Perhaps pix of a Sunreef have already been posted?

Quite an amazing yacht to see in person.

More info on it here:
https://sunreef-yachts-eco.com/en/sunreef-80-eco#

45kW total panels.

There was some drama when 50'-ish catamaran moored next to it decided to depart during the middle of a gusty thunderstorm and the wind and the current in the channel pushed it quickly into the side of the Sun Reef as it was trying to haul in its anchor. Of course all aboard both yachts were rushing to add fenders...but it left me wondering just how strong these solar panels on the side are and how much concentrated pressure (a fender for example) they can withstand before suffering damage.

Attachments

• SunfReef1.jpg
    SunfReef1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 47
  • sunreef2.jpg
    sunreef2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
You always also wonder about actual output in the real world.

Panels at an unfavorable angle to incident sun rays even with some reflect off the water.
I know my panels on both the house and the boat are more productive after a good washing. One would think those panels on the side would get wet some from spray and waves. Once the water evaporates and there’s a layer of salt crystals on them the production would go down.
Half of the side panels would always be in the shade. Or when panels are most productive, noon time, they all would be in the shade.

Think that 45kw is optimistic.

On more and more boats you see walk on panels. They usually have less production per square foot. Panels usually do best with a bit of air circulating underneath. Being in direct sunlight for a long time can cause heat to be an issue. A hot panel wouldn’t be fun to walk on barefoot.

Also an ugly boat with an ugly color.

Agree. Ugly appearance. The color, while not my favorite by any means, was refreshingly different on such a large yacht. My pictures don't do it justice, since it was such a dark, rainy day. We've been cruising in Greece now for about two months and haven't seen a cloud or drop of rain. Until today. Two months' worth of rain landed on us in about two hours.

Pretty boat I saw in Newark on the Erie canal yesterday. A Google search of the name (Parnassia) shows more pictures.

20230909_120413.jpg

Ted

She's a beauty for sure. But the varnish maintenance would be eye watering...

She needs one of these....those Netherlander folk are so
cool...

I watch this youtube Chanel for hours on end, listening to the language and mechanical sounds. Some of these are also in English.

Last edited:
No stabilizers?

Attachments

• conrad-classic-58-204017_1e.jpg
    conrad-classic-58-204017_1e.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 27
  • conrad-classic-58-204017_5f451dcf3db15e.jpg
    conrad-classic-58-204017_5f451dcf3db15e.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 33
  • conrad-classic-58-204017_5f451dd40d99ee.jpg
    conrad-classic-58-204017_5f451dd40d99ee.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 33