Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like this boat. I feel like I might have posted this in the past but not sure....not a terrible price but I wonder what condition she is in. She looks like a real boat!

1982 Miller Marine North sea trawler Ed Monk 67ft US$679,000

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1982-miller-marine-north-sea-trawler-ed-monk-8858688/

67' trawler yacht built by the Miller boat yard on Bainbridge Island Washington. She is designed by Ed Monk JR. and styled after the Malahide, Nordhavn, Romsdal, north sea trawler form. She is powered by twin Volvo diesels each turning there own props, with 3000 gals of fuel she is capable of making long voyages. She is well laid out providing three cabins and three heads. Her well appointed galley features household appliances and allows the chef fantastic views while preparing meals. She has a Hurricane diesel furnace. She is stabilized by naiad hydraulic fins, new Northern Lights Gen set 35 hrs, full size washer and dryer, vacuflush head systems, full updated electronics, Complete rewire with panels, new plumbing. She carries a nice yachtline Zodiac tender with a 50hp honda, hydraulic windlass, bow thruster. The pilothouse is beautifully finished in rich teak and allows a 360' view from the functional Stidd helm seat. Her design allows for complete walk around side decks covered in teak. She is truly a gentleman's yacht which turns heads in every marina she visits

I liked it right up to the twin Volvos.

Ted

They were of the pushmipullyu variant it would seem

2_4.jpg
Helms were duplicated both ends so they docked "bow first" and departed "bow first", the skipper changing ends. The current large ferries(non cat) are the same. Little remained of the crew of a becalmed sailboat when emergency engagement of reverse did not prevent a collision.

Not to be confused with this one with what sounds to be a problematic choice of drivetrain.

But, it does have a price listed.

Yeah there is no engines listed, but a quick search shows propulsion machinery consists of two General Motors Detroit Diesel 12V-92T engines, which supply 1,290 brake horsepower (960 kW) to the two propeller shafts.

So a more conventional setup and offers by tender rather than the AUD$500k ask of the Bay Class.

Would be interesting to know what it sells for, but of course running costs would be prohibitive!

Anyone know more details about this vessel?

Tied up on the dock opposite Lady Macquarie's Chair (a park on a spit, between the point that holds the Opera House and the Navy dock), and tied up next to a Navy vessel:

And it's got what looks like a Navy number on the bow.

Bulbous bow, and trimaran hull?

Attachments

• IMG_8074.jpg
    IMG_8074.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
Tied up on the dock opposite Lady Macquarie's Chair (a park on a spit, between the point that holds the Opera House and the Navy dock), and tied up next to a Navy vessel:

And it's got what looks like a Navy number on the bow.

Bulbous bow, and trimaran hull?

It looks very much like a Naval LCS class vessel, just like the SS Santa Barbara that was commissioned out here a couple of months ago. LCS for Littoral Combat Ship, which is meant for close to shore work in support of troops like Navy Seals. They can attain speeds above 40 knots. There are Independence class and Freedom class LCS. Pretty impressive to watch them at speed.

That tri looks like it would make a great Amazon 6-pack cruiser. Remove that crazy structure on top of its head and install about 5kW of solar

That tri looks like it would make a great Amazon 6-pack cruiser. Remove that crazy structure on top of its head and install about 5kW of solar

Yep
And with that crane up there probably still enough space to swing up a fleet of water toys.

Stop it,
Must have looked at that ad about 50 times in the last 24 hours.

Yep
And with that crane up there probably still enough space to swing up a fleet of water toys.

Stop it,
Must have looked at that ad about 50 times in the last 24 hours.

I don't know if other people do it, but I am always "shopping" for my next boat and do the same thing when I find something I like. The more you look at the ad the more you pick up from both the pics and the text.

Until it sells then you start all over again!

I have a list of wants in my next boat and like finding examples that match. Helps with knowledge when the time comes to pull the trigger.

@Serene: this is exactly my position. The more I use our current boat, and the ore boats I look at, the clearer the vision for the next one becomes.

We exchanged contracts on our house last week, and have a three-month settlement. And then we move on to the boat, full time. This will be a relief, for me.

@Serene: this is exactly my position. The more I use our current boat, and the ore boats I look at, the clearer the vision for the next one becomes.

Yeah I hear you. I know what I want next but it won't be for another couple of years. But it doesn't hurt to look!

We exchanged contracts on our house last week, and have a three-month settlement. And then we move on to the boat, full time. This will be a relief, for me.

Congrats! We aren't quite there yet, but have a five year plan.

On a very cool cruise through the Great Lakes on Viking Octantis and saw this after our Presque Isle
Alpena fishing trip.

Jay Bedford design? Only thing I'd like are bigger windows.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions

Octantis is Amazing and I am loving the Great Lakes!

Attachments

• 20230731_125224.jpg
    20230731_125224.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230731_134147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_134147_Gallery.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230731_135135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_135135_Gallery.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230731_135220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_135220_Gallery.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Simi, do tell, if you'd care to.

Poor girl has obviously been run into the ground with zero fks given along the way.
Now anchored in the boat graveyard in the area, no one onboard and no security so I imagine she's been getting picked over.
But the big SARCA is safe, bogged into the mud.

Comments in survey indicating limited access to many areas and when camera stuck in rust and sludge visible

Rusty bilges, bilge pumps missing, cut pipes and hoses, random rats nest of wiring, linings obviously water damaged and delaminating and that's what could be seen.

While I certainly wasn't expecting everything to be great or even good I wasn't expecting it to have the lowest rating in the surveyors scale

I'd reckon pretty much everything needs to come out, sandblast paint and start again.
Big expensive project

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-01-12-845.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-01-12-845.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-01-36-282.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-01-36-282.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-02-35-937.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-02-35-937.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-03-50-567.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-03-50-567.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-04-15-427.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-02-08-04-15-427.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Oh, dear. This is a perfect example of when a boat is available for next to nothing, it's going to be the most expensive thing you've ever bought. What a pity.

Why do owners let their boats ‘fall apart’ when they can maintain the oat and sell it?

Poor girl has obviously been run into the ground with zero fks given along the way.

[SNIP]

How sad!

I guess the $1 bid is probably too much to pay after seeing this sad state of affairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom