ideal length for single handed or two handed cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skyhawk

In your opinion, what's the ideal length?

I know there are tons of variables that might take this in all sorts of directions....
but a post in another thread about dream boats put this question in mind....

a paid for trawler, mid 30 to lower 40 ft.
I have a 34/36 AT, not paid for (my choice)
Too many modifications to start over.
Should have started with a 41/43 but, that's hindsight.

My thought...where is the trade-off mark....

If I'd want a boat to cruise with my wife, but I'd want the ability to handle her by myself if needed or occasionally...or even if just for single handed watches.

AND considering that marinas charge by the foot
AND we'd want something wide enough and laterally stable enough for comfort
AND long enough to offer reasonable speed and good longitudinal stability
etc.....

I know there are tons of variables that might take this in all sorts of directions....
but a post in another thread about dream boats put this question in mind....

If I'd want a boat to cruise with my wife, but I'd want the ability to handle her by myself if needed or occasionally...or even if just for single handed watches.

AND considering that marinas charge by the foot
AND we'd want something wide enough and laterally stable enough for comfort
AND long enough to offer reasonable speed and good longitudinal stability
etc.....

Single handed..... hmmmm. For docking and anchoring, you might want to look at a DockMate.

36 - 40 feet, you already have your answer, why keep asking/

pete

IMO it depends a LOT on your budget.
If you can add thrusters both ends, remote wired or wireless controls, more modern hold location options you can single hand larger vessels.
If basics and manual labor 34-40 ft is reasonable.

Some can't single hand a 18 foot skiff...others can single hand a 65' single no thruster...

Depends on skills, layout, necessity to dock in a certain place at certain times......

My guess is the vast majority of boaters feel overwhelmed when in the high 30's and up.

But as you said, tons of variables.

For comfort, it depends on liveaboard full time or not, dirt assets or not, heavy cruising or not, climate and typical weather....... but under 40' and space becomes an issue for storage and the ability to spread out for hobbies and projects if fulltiming.

Layout is definitely a big one for singlehanding. I've seen people singlehand 50 footers just fine, but I consider singlehanding to be a no-go on my 38 footer. It just takes too long to get from the helm to the side decks or dock, so it would require pretty calm conditions to dock singlehanded.

36 - 40 feet, you already have your answer, why keep asking/

pete

To see if anyone has changed their mind. :D

The beam of the AT34/36 is 13'3" (important for stability)
WWL is 32'6" (important for over all available interior space)

Pilot house doors and a separate shower.

Last edited:
I delivered several Nordhavn 57s. At the time, they were generally ordered by knowledgeable and well-heeled buyers. The ones I delivered had five stations plus variable hydraulic bow and stern thrusters. The five stations were flybridge, pilothouse, S&P wing stations inside the Portuguese bridge, and a station on the cockpit.

The thrusters were robust and could be run for as long as there was diesel in the tanks.

To say these were easy to manage boats would be a gross understatement.

In short, it does depend on how the boat is setup.

Peter

Thirty-five feet works well for me. Mine has easy access to deck from helm position for one. Deck not far above floating docks for another. Mid-hull cleats for another.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I agree that it depends greatly on the layout of the boat and the experience of the crew. My wife and I routinely run our boat (68' LOA) without help. The boat's layout (particularly wing stations on both sides of a Portuguese bridge and wide walkways on both side), bow thruster and twins makes it easy for two to tie and untie dock lines, etc. Overnight passages require more crew to avoid exhaustion, but that isn't a function of the boat's length (if anything, longer is less exhausting due to the increased stability and comfort that can come from size).

Last edited:
Lots of variables involved.

We have a 45 ft boat that I spend a lot of time running solo because I am retired, but my wife is still working for another couple years.

The key feature that allows me to go in and out of marinas for docking solo was a remote control for the thrusters.

Yes it definitely depends on the setup of the boat, skill of the operator, and the amount of time you spend getting use to the boat. My boat is ideal for single handing with a stern docking station and easy access for line handling. It's only a single with a bow thruster, but the large rudder and docking station make it easy to steer in docking situations. I took the boat solo around the Great Loop including all the locks. So a 45' boat, the right 45' boat can be solo cruised when properly set up.

Ted

If you have to ask the answer is: Don't. Single handling requires skill. With skill comes the knowledge of what you can and can't do.

If one can't swiftly disembark the boat by one's self, it will be difficult to single-hand docking.

Yes it definitely depends on the setup of the boat, skill of the operator, and the amount of time you spend getting use to the boat. My boat is ideal for single handing with a stern docking station and easy access for line handling. It's only a single with a bow thruster, but the large rudder and docking station make it easy to steer in docking situations. I took the boat solo around the Great Loop including all the locks. So a 45' boat, the right 45' boat can be solo cruised when properly set up.

Ted

This is the boat to see what works for a single hander. Aft docking station and a prerigged spring line makes docking a routine event. Teds boat is set up, and he knows how to handle it around docks and locks . An aft station is very economical to retrofit on most boats..game changer. Look at any sportfish/charter boat dock...common setup

If you have to ask the answer is: Don't. Single handling requires skill. With skill comes the knowledge of what you can and can't do.

Wifey B: I'd say up to 60' is no problem with handling, even 70', but........

and it's a big but.....no not a big butt.

Just because I can, doesn't mean I would. Longer handles the same. I just don't want to go boating alone, like the second set of eyes, like the backup. I'd not choose to single at any size and less inclined at each larger size. Stopping point, maybe 40'. The other thing is what are you going to DIY in terms of cleaning. Just rinsing and wiping a boat down becomes work on larger models. So guess for practical purposes, I'm still at 40'. :)

I'm surprised that cost and availability of transient docking hasn't come up yet... I know that's not a function directly of how many hands,but there is a trade off of having more boat than you need...to BandB's point

Wifey B: I'd say up to 60' is no problem with handling, even 70', but........

and it's a big but.....no not a big butt.

Just because I can, doesn't mean I would. Longer handles the same. I just don't want to go boating alone, like the second set of eyes, like the backup. I'd not choose to single at any size and less inclined at each larger size. Stopping point, maybe 40'. The other thing is what are you going to DIY in terms of cleaning. Just rinsing and wiping a boat down becomes work on larger models. So guess for practical purposes, I'm still at 40'. :)

I like my 34 LRC (37 LOA) with lower helm door, wide side decks and double aft doors for easy mobility and access. But if I had my druthers and someone else's money, I'd druther have OCD's 45!

It would seem that skipper experience, mobility and physical condition play a big role. Sobriety helps too.

I know there are tons of variables that might take this in all sorts of directions.... but a post in another thread about dream boats put this question in mind....

Length is not the most important factor. It's more about layout, easy and safe access to foredeck and side decks... and all that can be improved with skill and learning... and accessories like bow and stern thrusters, "Yacht Controllers," etc.

-Chris

But if I had my druthers and someone else's money, I'd druther have OCD's 45!
I agree, Al! He sure has a nice boat but in my experience, it's not what boat is the best for single handling, it's the experience of the skipper (with any boat) that's the most important thing. My range of boats has been 22'-54' & after really learning the boat I've single handed all of them. :blush:

Rougly, when did bow and stern thrusters start to become commonplace on 35-45 foot trawlers?

As you know, I don't own a boat but that's my goal. And from what I know from running small boats all my life, bow and stern thrusters along with aft controls will be an essential element on any boat that I consider since I want a single. We'll be running the boat as a couple.

Almost all the newer and larger boats I look at now are so equipped but I plan on buying used unless I win the MegaMillions or start cooking meth in my garage. It seems as though bow thrusters have been commonplace for at least 15 years or so, but the stern trusters seem quite new.

It looks as though most are electric but some hydraulic. Is one system considered mo' 'betta than the other?

Just curious think I’m not following the trend implied that bigger is harder. My experience is that unless you have very powerful hydraulic thrusters they are useless in anything over 20-25kts. or against significant current. Heavy duty hydraulic thrusters are rarely seen in small boats.
You should practice (maybe using a channel marker) to the point you can close handle your boat without thruster(s). We all screw up (me more than most) so when you do having the fallback of thrusters is a joy. Having said that bigger and heavier boats are less effected by windage. Personally find them easier to dock as long as you have good sight lines. Slow is pro and they move slowly.

Having said that bigger and heavier boats are less effected by windage. Personally find them easier to dock as long as you have good sight lines. Slow is pro and they move slowly.

I find the same. Weight grows faster than windage as you go bigger. I still struggle with docking anything small and lightweight. I learned on bigger, heavier stuff, so the lack of momentum and high sensitivity to windage and other inputs in small/light boats is very un-natural to me.

The challenge with size and being short (or single) handed is just a matter of things being further away from each other.

I agree, Al! He sure has a nice boat but in my experience, it's not what boat is the best for single handling, it's the experience of the skipper (with any boat) that's the most important thing. My range of boats has been 22'-54' & after really learning the boat I've single handed all of them. :blush:

It would seem that skipper experience, mobility and physical condition play a big role. Sobriety helps too.

I'll drink to that!!:D

I single-handed my last boat often and without hesitation. It was 52' and 30 tons.
The bow thruster was like having a second person when docking in close quarters.
Being able to get from the helm to the dock swiftly is certainly required, of course.

Back
Top Bottom