I haven't been fishing since...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A charter captain knows what works because his income depends upon it. You might not need the high quality rod/reel he uses, but the bait, terminal tackle, techniques and locations are all important.

Never go to Walmart or BPS for local fishing advice. My local outlets don't even carry the bait and tackle I need for sturgeon fishing in local waters. You'd be lucky if the Walmart employee even knows how to fish. Go to a REAL bait and tackle shop and listen to the folks there. They know the fishing guides and local anglers and are very likely fishermen themselves.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 61. I guess I'm on an ignore list somewhere...Nope, not Bass Pro or Wally for advice just cheaper equipment...(post #29)

If you buy cheap equipment from Walmart, you're not getting the better and more appropriate equipment that you'd find in the B&T shop. Also, you're not getting the advice on using it that you'd get from the local tackle shop. What they sell is equipment with free advice and instruction. Buy it from Wally World and figure it out on your own.

This is how the local shops survive and we'd all be worse off without them.

Greetings,
Mr. FW. We could actually be on the same page here. The bait shops I am familiar with in FL cater to serious fisherman, charter captains and guides. There are no entry level rods and reels sold at these establishments that I have ever noticed. By all means, one should buy hooks, bait and terminal tackle at these shops as it is guaranteed to be of much higher quality than any big box store but to suggest Mr. BrB invest in top notch rods and reels when he doesn't even know if he'll like the sport is ill advised IMO.
IF, in fact the bait stores on the west coast are substantially different and DO offer reasonable equipment, then sure, buy all the stuff there.

Run over to Holiday Sports....Hwy 20 - Interstate 5 junction in Burlington. 15 minutes from your location. Best resource in the area and very nice store.

The number one thing to remember about fishing tackle is most of it catches a lot more fisherman than fish. :eek:

also....10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish and only 10 percent of their tackle catches 90 percent of their fish.....soooooo....know what you want before ever entering a tackle shop.... :D

Well,
We just came from Holiday Sports.
Great store, knowledge people and I purchased...nothing!
Lots to think about though.
Bruce

I haven't fished since (fifty years ago) realizing going to a market was cheaper, easier, less time-consuming, and less messy. ... Fishermen, I salute you!

With the prices some markets are charging these days for decent fish....I think the pendulum is swinging back to the fisherman.

Some fishing, like the subsistence fishing I did in Alaska, was WAY cheaper than buying...

But for the most part, you are absolutely correct Mark....:D

Here we are, all of us owners of boats, discussing the high cost of fishing...
Oh the irony!
Bruce
P.s. I'm not being critical, we do it all the time!

Where I live, you can't buy wild sturgeon in a store. It's illegal. But if you want farmed fish, help yourself! :huh: :blush: :nonono:

Here we are, all of us owners of boats, discussing the high cost of fishing...
Oh the irony!
Bruce
P.s. I'm not being critical, we do it all the time!

Yup, Holiday Sports is worth the trip, Also don't forget about LFS Lummi Fisheries Supply in Bellingham. Tons of gear and apparel. But won't be much fish to catch this year. Forecasts for Salmon (even pinks) are dismal in Puget Sound.

PS: Heading for Westport tomorrow for a early Ling cod/rock cod charter trip. I know, very embarrassing :hide:
(as my boat sits in a $600 per month slip unused :facepalm:)

Greetings,
A question for the west coast fish chasers. Are there any edible inshore fish that could be caught, for example, on the bottom or in shallower water? Similar to grouper or snapper.

PS: Heading for Westport tomorrow for a early Ling cod/rock cod charter trip. I know, very embarrassing :hide:
(as my boat sits in a $600 per month slip unused :facepalm:)

When we were there, we saw a lot of fish caught by the charter boats in Westport. It reminded me a bit of childhood trips to the NC coast and the charters there.

Greetings,
A question for the west coast fish chasers. Are there any edible inshore fish that could be caught, for example, on the bottom or in shallower water? Similar to grouper or snapper.

For Washington:
Puget Sound and inland waters, not much. Halibut about 5 - 8 open days per year in spring, ling cod for a month and a half starting around May 1st. All rock cod are protected.

Washington coast Ling cod and rock fish permitted during the Spring into summer. Halibut opens for just a few days in the Spring this year. Salmon seasons haven't been announced yet, but not looking good.

Dungeness crab opens in July and is usually the highlight of the years for us.

The Washington department of Fish and wildlife has their fishing guide on line now if you want to get the complete details. I've left a few fish out that I don't personally fish for other than to use as bait. Smelt, sanddabs, sole, perch, etc.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. E. Thanks. I was just curious. Seems on the east coast shore/dock/pier fishing is quite productive at times but not so much on the west coast. Different fishery.

Holy cow! Just looked up the various species. I'd be completely lost.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. E. Thanks. I was just curious. Seems on the east coast shore/dock/pier fishing is quite productive at times but not so much on the west coast. Different fishery.

There is a little bit of that here from piers, but pretty limited to small fish and the occasional ling cod or salmon.

My son likes to beach and river fly fish for salmon, usually coho and pinks and it can be quite productive during larger runs. But you have to know which beaches, how to fish them (each one is different), use the proper gear and be part of the fishing network to know when the fish are there. Plus it takes a lot of skill and patience, which I have none of.:whistling:

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. E. Mr. Alor mentioned fly fishing and I must say, it is, without a doubt, MY favorite. I disagree that it takes a lot of skill. I've taught people to cast a fly in less than 5 minutes. Mind you, that's JUST cast a fly and not too far (30' or so) but the rest comes with practice and once you "get in the groove" it's really quite easy and straightforward.

The skill of casting and retrieving, I would agree that's easy enough. A little practice and you get the hang of it. It's all the other stuff that makes them successful.

It takes experience, local knowledge, reading the water (flow and color), choosing the correct line weight and color of lure/fly and finesse casting and working the line and lure in the current and into the eddy.

He and his fishing partner go to the extreme in my opinion, making their own flies and lures. Even using exotic fishing lines, reels, poles, most of their gear has to be mail ordered.

But I've stood in the same river with them several times and watched them limit out, while I caught one fish and that's really frustrating. So I can't argue with their success, I just have no patience for the process.

Greetings,
Mr. E. Oh, so now you want to CATCH fish? Big difference between fishing and catching. Many years ago I figured out how much a fish I caught would have cost. Worked out to about $325.00/lb. Never figured it out again...

Youtube is quite the fishing resource

Youtube - how to catch ling cod

..I was a kid. I used to love lake fishing but life happened and somehow I stopped....We never wanted to fish off of the sailboat, mostly because it was ill suited to the mess that it would make.....
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce, whatever type of boat you're on it is still a bit messy and stinky, so you could consider doing what I do. I have a rack of rods up in the cabin ceiling, and to avoid smelly bait, which always goes off unless kept frozen, I only use lures of various kinds, which one can then leave, 'loaded' as it were.

Then when someone on board want to fish, (occasionally even me, although I'm convinced the beggars see me coming), I hand them the rod, show them how to cast it out a way, then reel it in, warning them about what to do if they feel it jerk.

They are captivated, it occupies them for ages, and very occasionally they do get something - usually a throw back, but the fun has been had, and sometimes it's a keeper we do scale, clean, and cook, but it is messy. Usually, when we want to 'enjoy' fish, our local F & C shop does wonderful battered or crumbed cod, snapper, or barramundi, etc, and you can even get chips with it. Win win all round. :D

Funny story. One of the best catches I made was when the lure I had left on the hook from the previous trip, being a squidgy, as they call them, had all dried up to such a shrivelled thing I could not get it off the hook. So to soften it up to remove, I had a brainwave and I tossed the line out, stuck the rod in a holder, and we then had lunch. After lunch I went to wind it in, felt resistance on the line...and you guessed it... :socool:

I have a similar history of fishing. I have included the worm fishing rod if sometimes I want to fish, and then hope that the fish were gone. My fishing philosophy, works almost always, without bait also :)

Last edited:
Here's an introductory discussion on fishing along the Inside Passage, an excerpt from my book. Since I wrote this, we've become fond of halibut fishing with herring, which we catch using a Sabiki rig if we're in the right location to find them. We fish for King salmon with herring too, in a technique called mooching. Happy to discuss further.

Fishing Gear

Many cruisers enjoy fishing, and in the PNW it’s fairly easy to supply the galley with fresh and delicious seafood. If you’ve never eaten fish caught only hours ago and handled properly, you probably don’t appreciate how good seafood can be.

There are salmon, of course – the quintessential PNW fish. Five species of salmon swim in these waters, but only three you’re likely to catch with rod and reel: Chinook (also known as King), Coho (Silver), and Pink. Chinook and Coho are fine eating, more desirable than Pinks. Chum (Dog) are the least desirable. Sockeye (Red) are caught primarily in commercial nets, but if you’re lucky enough to meet a fisherman with one to spare, accept it gratefully – Sockeye are as tasty as they come.

Another favorite is halibut. These ugly but delicious flatfish range well upward of 200 pounds, but you may not want to keep one larger than 40-50lb (20-25lb of fillets) unless your freezer is unusually large. Since halibut above about 75lb are spawning females, you help sustain the fish population if you don’t keep these really big ones. Our normal practice is not to keep small ones either, giving those under 12-15lb a chance to grow up. If you’re wondering how to figure the weight of a big halibut, just measure its length. Consult the halibut size table found in most tide booklets, and you’ll have a really accurate weight.

Another great PNW delicacy is the Dungeness crab, fairly easily caught in many places up and down the coast. Spot prawns (and smaller shrimp) can be found in many places as well. With most of these critters, the further north, or the further away from civilization, the bigger and more plentiful they tend to be. On our 26-footer, we take the gear to fish for all of these (except for Sockeye). Here’s what we use:

Whether we’re trolling with downriggers for salmon, or jigging for halibut, we like 9-foot graphite “salmon” rods built for 10-20lb or 15-25lb line. Some fishermen use shorter heavyweight rods and big reels for halibut, but we think they’re much stiffer than necessary, and too tiring for jigging. They’re an OK way to go if you fish by anchoring, hooking up a big bait, and letting it sit on the bottom, but we prefer jigging. We’ve caught halibut up to 250lb, jigging with salmon rods. We carry one for each person on board, plus a spare or two.

We use conventional reels, of a size that can hold 240-300 yards of 14lb mono line. Trolling for salmon, we use 17lb or 24lb mono. It’s stretchy, and less likely than braid to pull the hook out of a delicate salmon mouth. For halibut we use similar reels, but spool them with 40 or 50lb braided line. Braid is much tougher than mono, and a lot thinner. Since it’s so thin, the line drags less as it moves through the water, so the current pulls your line out away from the boat less than it would with mono. This makes vertical jigging for halibut (on the bottom in deep water, 100-200 feet or more) much easier. Braid also has very little stretch, so you can feel your jig thumping the bottom, or a fish striking it, even 200 feet down.

For halibut baits, we’re partial to big (8, 12, or 16 oz.) lead-head jigs, with 10” curly-tail grubs. All-metal jigs work well too, but they tend to get expensive, since the bottom often manages to snag a jig or two. Jigs are considerably more effective when tipped with a piece of octopus (or squid as a second choice). Octopus can be found at some PNW fishing suppliers, or in some grocery store freezer sections. We drop our jigs to the bottom, then repeatedly lift up several feet and let them flutter back down, thumping the bottom again after each lift.

If you’re lucky enough to bring in a big halibut, be careful. A 40-50 pounder can thrash around in the cockpit with destructive force. You’ll want to subdue it with a good weighted fish bonker before bringing it over the side. You’ll need a gaff to handle it, because it’s not practical to bring halibut larger than about 15lb aboard in a salmon net. We use a “wireman’s gaff”, which is a big shark hook spliced onto a poly line, so that it can be cleated onto the boat. It works quite well, and takes much less space than a halibut harpoon or gaff with a big handle.

Whether halibut or salmon, bleed it out (by cutting under its gills) as soon as possible after you bring it in, then gut or fillet it, rinse with clean seawater, and get it iced down while it’s still cold. This is key to keeping fish in prime eating condition. We put fillets in zip bags, suck out the air, and stash them in fridge or freezer. A good sharp fillet knife (we like a 10” slightly curved semi-flexible blade) is essential. Sharpen it at least every time you’re about to begin a filleting job.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] For crab, there are two ways to go: pots (traps), or rings. If you’re in a location where you have good reason to believe the Dungies are around, crab rings are a fast way to scoop up a few.

Bait them (fresh salmon heads are hard to beat), drop to the bottom in 20-40 feet of water, and come back after 25-30 minutes. Pull quickly, and the ring, which lies flat when on the bottom, becomes a basket which the crabs can’t easily escape. Rings really work - on one lucky pull, one of our rings brought up fifty Dungies, nine of them keepers (males only, at least a certain size). A plastic crab gauge, designed to handle the various sizes required in different areas, makes measuring quick and easy.

If you have time to soak them (usually at least a few hours), crab pots are the thing. Drop them in 20-40 feet, or occasionally deeper. Pay close attention to where you are on the tide, and where the tide will be when you come back for your pots. Various folding crab pots are available, but the solid round ones are less trouble and work really well, if you have space enough to store them. We like the stainless Ladner pots.

Shrimping is something like crabbing, using pots with smaller mesh and entry doorways. The pots go way deep (150-300 feet or more), so they’re at risk of floating away with tide and current. They’re much safer if weighted with at least a few pounds of lead. The pot line that works for us is a tightly wound ¼” three-strand poly. It’s not really sinking line, but it doesn’t tend to float or tangle nearly as much as the cheaper braided poly line. We splice big loops on both ends of each line, so they’re quick and easy to connect to either pot or float. 300 or 350 feet of line stores nicely on one inexpensive orange plastic power cord reel.

Bait shrimp pots with fresh salmon heads if you have them, or with commercially made bait pellets. As the pot is on its way to the bottom, clip on a line weight, which keeps extra line from floating on the surface and getting caught by a prop. We always use a good bit of extra line, to allow for the tide, and for the fact that in current the line will not run straight up and down. We loop the top end of the line onto a big orange ball fender, mark the location with a GPS waypoint, and let the pot soak overnight.

The next morning we pull pots by warping the line three times around the drum side of our windlass, and winding the line onto its reel as the windlass brings it up (first we loosen the gypsy so it doesn’t turn with the drum). Believe it or not, this whole operation can be done by one person. It sure beats pulling 300 feet of line and pounds of shrimp pot by hand. Folks who do lots of crabbing or shrimping sometimes have dedicated pot-puller machines.

As you might imagine, all this equipment takes a lot of space, and weighs a good bit too – especially downriggers and their weights, and crab and shrimp gear. You’ll have to work out just how much you want to haul. On our C-Dory we carried rods and reels, downriggers, and crab rings, but no shrimp or crab pots.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] If you prefer to carry minimal fishing gear, you could troll for salmon without downriggers, using weights or divers to force the line down behind the boat. A 4-6 oz. weight with a Coyote spoon or an Apex, trolled some distance behind the boat, works pretty well for Coho. Another salmon technique that avoids downriggers is called “mooching”. It’s like drifting and jigging on the bottom, except that it is done up higher in the water column, using live herring for bait. You could also try jigging with artificial baits like crippled herring or buzz bombs, usually higher in the water column like mooching. You could get along with only rods, reels, weights and baits for halibut and salmon. If you like crab, we’d definitely suggest taking at least a couple of crab rings.

Attachments

• DSC_0684.jpg
    DSC_0684.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 50
  • KadeKing1.jpg
    KadeKing1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Some fishing, like the subsistence fishing I did in Alaska, was WAY cheaper than buying...

Understand that in Alaska, an individual using a net is subsistence fishing (take all you can eat) while using a pole is sport fishing (take only the limit).

Guess you are right...but we as non natives would have eaten garbage meat if we didn't catch or shoot or trade for what we ate on Kodiak in the early 90s

Greetings,

Holy cow! Just looked up the various species. I'd be completely lost.

Turned out to be a successful trip out mr. Firefly. A little rougher than I like, but it's the open ocean 10 miles off shore at Westport, Washington. Boated 32 ling cod and around 120 black Rock fish in 3 1/2 hours.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20170320_215113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20170320_215113.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20170320_215512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20170320_215512.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom