Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
How to Dock a Boat Correctly

I came across this little video. Might help someone out there in TF land.

https://youtu.be/Mx0LEAWsE_k
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:59 AM   #2

City: Santa Barbara
I have a single screw boat. No thruster. I'm not that good at docking but think I'd be better if I had any of the setups in the vid. Here is my limited little bag of tricks that help me with a single screw:
1) Go slow
2) Steering a boat steers the stern, not the bow
3) Reverse is a brake
4) Have a game plan for getting in and out of a slip. share it with crew before you're at the slip
5) Get people on the dock to help.
6) Don't singlehand. This rule is even more crucial once you're underway
7) If you get all messed up don't panic, go to NEUTRAL. Reassess. people will normally help and you can always use your hands to push off of other docked boats
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I have a single screw boat. No thruster. I'm not that good at docking but think I'd be better if I had any of the setups in the vid. Here is my limited little bag of tricks that help me with a single screw:
1) Go slow
3) Reverse is a brake
4) Have a game plan for getting in and out of a slip. share it with crew before you're at the slip
7) If you get all messed up don't panic, go to NEUTRAL. Reassess. people will normally help and you can always use your hands to push off of other docked boats
I suggest you research and understand the concept of "Prop Walk". It is an essential tool in single screw boat handling.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I came across this little video. Might help someone out there in TF land.
https://youtu.be/Mx0LEAWsE_k

Docking with twins is nice. But, wow - docking with triples & quads - something I never thought about before this video. Most likely will not think about it again. Nevertheless, this was interesting. Thnx for sharing.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I'm definitely not great at docking .but if I tried to back my single in and swing the bow up wind like in the first example it would end horribly. I have to do the opposite.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven
Vessel Name: Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Model: 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
How to dock a boat Correctly

I always try to bring my boat into my slip putting the bow into the wind, rather than being forced further along by both the wind and the boats movement. I have a twin screw, no bow thruster Jefferson 37 that I brought from New Jersey back to Lake Michigan in 2016. Each year I get better at handling and docking the boat but my mantra is: " I may be getting better but I don't get cocky.". Just about the time that I do that is when I will be eating a huge dose of 'humble pie'.
LenBuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

City: Port Hope
Aren't there a lot of differences in docking techniques for inboard vs outboard engines? It would seem that having the ability to turn the propellers in the direction you need would offer much better maneuverability than simply directing water flow past the rudders.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I'm definitely not great at docking .but if I tried to back my single in and swing the bow up wind like in the first example it would end horribly. I have to do the opposite.

Timb,

Totally agree. To get a single to swing the bow against any sort of wind is wishful thinking, even with a thruster. Backing into the wind is great for station keeping, but to swing a turn into a slip.... ain't gonna work.

I do just the opposite, like you bow into the wind and try to get a line on before the bow swings down wind. Once you "loose" the bow might as well start over (which I've done many times).

However, backing a single (thrusters or not) with a lot of wind is challenging into itself. Heck, backing a twin with windvhas issues, too.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Totally agree. To get a single to swing the bow against any sort of wind is wishful thinking, even with a thruster. Backing into the wind is great for station keeping, but to swing a turn into a slip.... ain't gonna work.
You can kick the bow up wind pretty well if you're backing down, then apply a fistful of forward thrust and full rudder. Works with a single or twin. However, it's not all that useful for getting into a slip, as it sucks up some space to do it. Usually takes less space than powering forward and trying to turn upwind though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
1) Go slow
3) Reverse is a brake

Brian,

Good points, but take exception to the singlehand. MANY of us do that on a daily basis, without issue. Just went out the other night, used the wind to my advantage docking and thanked the folks that wanted to help but said I'll do it myself. However, once I get my spring line on, boat in forward, it will pin to the dock and I'll except help from others. I often get greeted by some rather attractive ladies when I dock and like that, so let them run a line to a piling. And occasionally find one that knows what they're doing. Gotta have some fun.

Also, I could argue, overall, NOT to use dock hands, as they will often mess up your plan, until you have at least one spring line on and are secure.

And, I could argue to NEVER EVER put your hands out there to push off. Just hold a fender in place. My strict policy is no hands, legs or any part of the body leaves the boat unless it's securely tied to the dock, and I brief that one strongly.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Brian's list is a good start. I would add:

1) Go slow

Agreed, though you need enough way to properly engage the rudder(s). One of my favorite boating adages is "always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it"!

Not a lot of boaters actually know this! It's also the reason why we depart the dock in reverse 95% of the time, as I don't want our swim step hitting the dock.

3) Reverse is a brake

Yes, and correctly using prop walk in reverse can be just like having a stern thruster.

We always discuss the order of events (lines) with crew in advance.

If there's help we never turn it down, even if we're docking in completely calm conditions. We also always offer to help boats docking when we're on the dock.

Sometimes singlehanding is necessary. Having a thorough understanding of how your boat handles is paramount. The previous tip (#5) is also VERY helpful, to the point it's a good idea to call the marina in advance and let them know you would like assistance as you are coming in singlehanded.

Agree completely with the first sentence. There have been a few times where wind/current have caused me to get momentarily "confused". Just dropping into neutral for a second or two allows the brain to temporarily reset and jump back into action. With enough way, neutral is also a tool that allows the boat's momentum to do some work for you.

As far as the last sentence is concerned, I know we all do it instinctively. However, we always get a boat hook and extra fender at the ready if it looks like we're going to need to fend off.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post

Not a lot of boaters actually know this! It's also the reason why we depart the dock in reverse 95% of the time, as I don't want our swim step hitting the dock.
I've gotten some very funny looks when departing a dock backwards. No thrusters on my boat, so depending on what the wind is doing, it's usually hard to swing the bow out far enough to not hit the swim platform when coming off a face dock. So I typically back off and just keep the bow a couple feet off the dock as I pivot. I've gotten some downright panicked looks and people running to push the bow off when I've backed off and done a 180 (with the bow almost on the dock the whole time) to get moving in the desired direction. People seem to think that having the bow that close to the dock means I'm going to ram it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
Guru

How about using the "H" maneuver for twin screw boats? That's a game saver for me when single handing.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BG. STRONGLY disagree with using hands for fending off. To repeat Mr. S's comment..."NEVER, NEVER..." And I will add, NEVER!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BG. STRONGLY disagree with using hands for fending off. To repeat Mr. S's comment..."NEVER, NEVER..." And I will add, NEVER!!!
I always tell my crew, "They call it a RUB rail for a reason!"
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
any docking that does not sink your boat nor damage those boats around you, is good.
Remember, neutral is a gear, use it. Gives you time to figure out what your boat is doing (drifting) and then, how to correct it, if necessary.
Never be afraid to start over.
Learn which direction the stern of your boat wants to back when the rudder is centered. (prop walk) Watch the bow too.
Practice 'back and fill'. There are many videos on YouTube.
Never be afraid to start over.
Above all, dont let those around you or on the dock, see you sweat. CHUCKLE
Old 10-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
I suggest you research and understand the concept of "Prop Walk". It is an essential tool in single screw boat handling.
I know what it is. That is one of the things that makes backing a single screw difficult. It's not easy to steer no matter. Most common way I utilize prop walk is docking with starboard against the dock, my boat docks to port so I can normally easily clear the dock in reverse then just straighten out and get out of everyone's way. But trying to back out of a 200 yard channel? I'm sure the commercial guys could do it blindfolded. I'd blow it and would just rather not put myself in a culdesac unless I had to.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Brian,

Good points, but take exception to the singlehand. MANY of us do that on a daily basis, without issue. Just went out the other night, used the wind to my advantage docking and thanked the folks that wanted to help but said I'll do it myself. However, once I get my spring line on, boat in forward, it will pin to the dock and I'll except help from others. I often get greeted by some rather attractive ladies when I dock and like that, so let them run a line to a piling. And occasionally find one that knows what they're doing. Gotta have some fun.

Also, I could argue, overall, NOT to use dock hands, as they will often mess up your plan, until you have at least one spring line on and are secure.

And, I could argue to NEVER EVER put your hands out there to push off. Just hold a fender in place. My strict policy is no hands, legs or any part of the body leaves the boat unless it's securely tied to the dock, and I brief that one strongly.
Fundamentally, If I am surfing, diving, boating, or swimming in the ocean, I go with some semblance of a buddy system. "Ocean" being the keyword.
YMMV.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R M View Post
Aren't there a lot of differences in docking techniques for inboard vs outboard engines? It would seem that having the ability to turn the propellers in the direction you need would offer much better maneuverability than simply directing water flow past the rudders.
Yes there is. Turning prop in direction does speed up process.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Brian,

Totally agree no help please until you ask by handing over a line, unless you know the person will not redirect the boat. When help arrives late I usually hear oh you don't need any.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote