Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #1

City: Little Egg Harbor
Vessel Name: Change Of Pace
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Mk I
Foul Weather Gear for the Great Loop

We are in need of new foul weather gear suited for the Great Loop. It's been 20 years since I last outfitted.
Looking for suggestions or advice.
Thanks in advance,
Skiff Builder
Skiff Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Don't you have an inside helm station? I'd say the need is minimal. YMMV, but I've looped in a sistership to yours, and don't think I ever got my foul weather gear fully deployed. It's a series of day trips. Foul weather is easily avoidable.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:02 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Depends on your definition of foul weather. My go to was always Grundens and xtra tuffs.
For just being on deck for a bit of rain I had my stormy seas pull over and Carhartt rain pants. For bad weather skiffing I had a mustang float suit.
Now I just go inside.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I can't speak to the loop (except for Florida's torrential rains), but my go-to is REI for high-quality, high-tech, durable, and easily packed outdoor clothing. A jacket with hood with large brim to work in rain is handy whether on a boat or caught out on a bike

I gave up on bright yellow Maine lobsterman bibs a long time ago

Peter
Old 06-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
A good rain-proof jacket will cover a lot of the need. For the most part, you shouldn't only end up needing foulies for the occasional docking or lock in the rain (either unexpected rain or if you choose to go on one of those rainy but otherwise dead calm days).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
Bathing suit.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Locking through the NY canal system on a rainy day would be a nice time to have a decent bib and jacket.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Sailing used a full set of Musto. But as mentioned ridiculous to spend that kind of money power and coastal so they remain on the boat but not used. Even west coastal stuff is overkill imho. Rather use breathable light weight REI jacket and pants. Wait for the sale.
If really wet then fly fishing in shoe waders and keen sandals. The keens are more non slip then any boat shoes I every had. Still have Dubarry boots from sailing. Again like Musto the best I ever had. I tell my admiral what I want for Bday and Xmas and she’s foolish enough to love me. Find now only outside briefly and more frequently in,out, in out. So easy on/off is more important. Getting out of bibs is a pain.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Locking through the NY canal system on a rainy day would be a nice time to have a decent bib and jacket.
I agree. I have done NJ to Kingston Ont 4 times now. 3 in multi day rain. I have multiple sets of the old standard yellow pvc bib/ jacket, looking for something better.

REI or other outfitters sounds good.
Thks
Old 06-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #10
Guru

I like my carhartt rain pants because they have a full zipper on both legs so it’s easy on/off.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
I like my carhartt rain pants because they have a full zipper on both legs so itís easy on/off.
Thks Charlie. Sounds like a good feature to have.

I wanted to buy your boat, back when it was listed ay Liberty. Got called away for business and missed it! Sounds like it's doing well for you. Enjoy!
Old 06-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff Builder View Post
Thks Charlie. Sounds like a good feature to have.

I wanted to buy your boat, back when it was listed ay Liberty. Got called away for business and missed it! Sounds like it's doing well for you. Enjoy!
Thanks, we are liking it. It runs well enough to enjoy and has enough projects to keep us occupied. Itís giving us the education we wanted. 😁
Old 06-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #13

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Musto is the best
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
We use Frogg Toggs…simple, light weight, inexpensive, dries quickly. Jackets and pants (not bibs); pants are quite useful for rainy weather anchoring, boat washing, dinghy trips, etc. I am on my second set, and not the fancie$t of their offerings. First set was used on motorcycle and now in a work vehicle.

We also have Gil and West Marine “proper” raincoats. They get used mostly off the boat because of their high-visibility and useful storage pockets.

Finally, we use Mustang Catalyst float coats when it gets cold. Like the Frogg Toggs, its old gear that works for a long time. I had mine on yesterday while anchoring, yes June in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have been sailing in New England for many years. A set of Line 7 was a bullet proof necessity. (Itís still in good shape 35 years later) We did our first boat charter on the west coast of Florida and of course I brought my Line 7 gear. The fellow from the charter company looked at me and my gear, smiled, and said youíre going to like Florida. Leave that stuff in your car.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #16

City: Jacksonville, Florida
Umbrella?
Peter Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff Builder View Post
We are in need of new foul weather gear suited for the Great Loop. It's been 20 years since I last outfitted.
Looking for suggestions or advice.
Thanks in advance,
Skiff Builder
Wifey B: You're not still planning on looping this year are you?

Mainly need rain gear but if looping in March and April or after September, need some cold weather gear. I recommend cross country ski jackets you can find at places like Academy Sports with masks also found there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Skillman
Vessel Name: Lady Sue
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship I 1982 Perkins
I sold Lady Sue last fall and have two XL jackets; Henri Lloyd heavy duty, black/yellow trim, and North Peak unlined, yellow. Both hooded and in very good condition.
Jim Ferry 609-466-1462.
lady sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #19

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
I have a job they requires prolonged outdoor exposure so I’m in the rain quite often and honestly a nice large (one that goes to my calf) high quality(NOT the US gov issue) poncho tends to be used more than my grundens or my other rain suites. It’s quick and easy to put on one off, doesn’t leak through the zipper or button seams and for being heavy vulcanized cotton breathes much better than any real rain suite I’ve used since the bottom is completely open. All the technical jackets that breath will eventually soak through, best so far is about 3 hours of heavy rain. And I’ve used the lot of them and have always been let down, money makes no difference there I’ve spent upwards of $700 just on jackets and makes no difference. Grundens or any of the true commercial foul weather gear are amazing but hot, in any warmer weather you will shortly be as wet inside as as outside just from the sweat. The moment it cools off they are amazing though.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:16 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Ditto Jmarches comments, rain being a big part of boating here in the PNW and SE Alaska. Breathables are great but eventually will soak through in heavy rain. When it's coming down in buckets, Grundens or similar PVC gear is heavy duty and you won't get wet from the rain but it might feel like a sauna inside, especially if it's warm. I have both setups and they both have their place. I can't speak to the Loop but I'd guess that breathables would work just fine. REI online has a good selection of breathables.