Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I have a professional chef on board, she will only cook with gas,
Most high end (and not so high end) professional chefs have converted to induction cooking. Much more precise control.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Seems to me that properly vented propane or CNG would make a whole lot more sense."

Only if you leave the dock.
If you already have a diesel propulsion engine, and a diesel generator, why add a second fuel? If you find that you have to run the generator to boil water as another poster suggested, perhaps a correctly sized battery bank and an electric kettle would be a better solution...

Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
What's wrong with an electric kettle that runs off the inverter? I use one at home so I don't have to mind my pot/kettle on my gas stove.
I wish more people had them and used them. In most cruising waters, a decent DC system with a good alternator, a couple of solar panels, and a good inverter should pretty much eliminate the need for a genset entirely, other than AC. When looking for a trawler, I was surprised at the weakness of the DC charging systems in nearly every boat. Cruising sailboats are generally much better setup in this regard.

The boat I think I've bought has an electric stove, I'm considering the possibility of keeping it. It's not inductive though, are those (in practice) more energy efficient than a resistive stove? The boat doesn't have an inverter either, but that will be rectified immediately.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #24

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Redoubt
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
We have propane and would not change it, though if we had electric we would stick with that too. It is a propane stove and oven, and we do baking in the oven - works well!

The things we like about propane:

* Lasts a long time. We are away 6+ weeks with lots of cooking and baking on a single tank. (We have 3 on board so lots of backup)
* Same fuel as the BBQ, which we also use a lot
* No Genset at dinner or breakfast time. I find getsets at dinner time in quiet anchorages particularly experience-killing

And with proper installation, sniffers, and a good control system we have never felt worried.

I can understand why new big boats build with electric though. I expect it is a lot easier and works just fine once you get past the genset requirement.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
So no inverter on your boats? That'll run a microwave which heats water (as will an electric induction kettle) and cooks food just dandy.
Electric skillet + microwave + induction kettle means we don't use the oven unless we have mulitple pans on the range top or the oven in use, which means we don't start the genset unless we use the 240 vac oven range top. Seems simple enough, and avoiding propane is a virtue, if only for convenience.

We looked at the Wallas diesel oven, but the Admiral thought the box too small.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm the odd man out, having no propane/LPG or generator.

I'm happy with my non pressurised alcohol stove, with a portable butane cartridge stove as a backup. If I did an upgrade, it would be to a diesel stove. An electric stove would be my last choice.

As we don't need air conditioning, we have no use for a generator or inverter. 12 volts and alcohol keeps us happy.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat came with an electric oven cook top. It was on the list of things to change when I started the refit. By the time I started the refit, I realized I didn't use either the cook top or the oven. In three years I've used the oven twice and never the cook top. I do use my propane grill almost every day.

As others have mentioned, I have a 900 amp battery bank and 3KW inverter which easily runs the microwave, coffee maker, Crock pot, or almost any other electric appliance.

My advice if buying a used boat, would be to keep an open mind and try adapting to what it comes with.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We have electric because we have no reason not to. We also have electric grills. We do have gas at home, natural gas, run through lines to our home, no tanks to fill or otherwise, as simple as electric. However, as we can't run such a line safely from shore to our boat in the ocean, we choose electric all the way. We don't carry propane on the boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:36 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Electric everything with propane BBQ. Works fine for us!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:51 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Electric everything with propane BBQ. Works fine for us!
Same with us
Old 05-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Folks that want to stay basic , but have a fully powered burner (12,000BTU) might consider a Primus kerosene stove.

These do require a splash of alcohol to pre heat the burner , but are hot , and 5 gal of kerosene , or mineral spirits will last a year or so.

Primus stove - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

The Primus stove, the first pressurized-burner kerosene (paraffin) stove, was developed in ... The Primus stove's design, which uses pressure and heat to vapourize the kerosene before ignition, results in a hotter, more efficient stove that does ...‎ConstructionPrinciple of operation
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #32
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Seems most have a noise maker but for us with no genny we use propane for our stove and bbq. We carry 2 tanks, check the system for leaks regularly and have a 900 AH battery bank and inverter for microwave etc. Twin alternators help as well. We have recently purchased an induction cooktop for times when we have shore power. Life is good
Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #33
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Have a propane stove--Like cooking with gas! It is another fuel to manage safely but lots of cruisers are already storing portable bbq bottles and gasoline cans for their dinghy motor.

I suppose if you are 100% diesel electric you are at less risk.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My boat came with an electric oven cook top. It was on the list of things to change when I started the refit. By the time I started the refit, I realized I didn't use either the cook top or the oven. In three years I've used the oven twice and never the cook top. I do use my propane grill almost every day.

As others have mentioned, I have a 900 amp battery bank and 3KW inverter which easily runs the microwave, coffee maker, Crock pot, or almost any other electric appliance.

My advice if buying a used boat, would be to keep an open mind and try adapting to what it comes with. Could also install that washer, and put the convection MW in in place of my current standard microwave.

Ted
Yes, we too almost never use the Princess oven. Also have a 3000 watt inverter, works great with everything when needed. I think I used that stove top only 4 times and the oven 3 times in 15 years of ownership. If I lived on this boat, which wont happen, I might take out the oven, rework the cabinet to fit a vented washer-dryer. I need 2 more inches of width, so would have to slide over the middle partition and move the cabinet doors.

If I really like cooking, I might replace the oven with a convection microwave in place of my standard MW, and a seperate induction stove top, the oven is just a waste of space. And it does not cook well anyway.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #35
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Same with us
Same here.
I think most of us just accept 'what came with the boat' unless, it is a new build.
Gosh, a new build, I cannot fathom all the decisions that must be made, the stove being a minor decision.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #36
Guru

When we were first looking for our trawler back sveral years, we came across a relatively new Krogen with a full size 48 inch Thermador range weighing in at 500 lbs. I am guessing it ran on propane, and that the lady on board really liked to cook!
Chrisjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #37
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
When we were first looking for our trawler back sveral years, we came across a relatively new Krogen with a full size 48 inch Thermador range weighing in at 500 lbs. I am guessing it ran on propane, and that the lady on board really liked to cook!
Must be a big Krogen.
I guess you had it removed? They had to re-ballast the boat?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Seems part of the requirement depends on how much and what kind of cooking you do, and whether the boat is also a full time home or day/weekend and occasional vacation cruiser. Marina vs not sounds like a factor too, and how loud your generator is.

Our old Hatteras was our only home. We like to anchor out or be on a mooring, so prefer few trips to shore merely to eat. Ann is a tremendous cook, and we had a boat with ample refrigeration and storage place. A very large and complete galley was extremely important in our boat purchase criteria. So the full size range and oven were used virtually everyday.

Our generator was almost unhearable outside the boat, and quite tolerable inside, and it was in a room right beneath the galley. Got run typically 4 hours a day. Including holidays; here's a pic I've posted here a few times, just as an example:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #39
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Folks that want to stay basic , but have a fully powered burner (12,000BTU) might consider a Primus kerosene stove.

These do require a splash of alcohol to pre heat the burner , but are hot , and 5 gal of kerosene , or mineral spirits will last a year or so.

Primus stove - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

The Primus stove, the first pressurized-burner kerosene (paraffin) stove, was developed in ... The Primus stove's design, which uses pressure and heat to vapourize the kerosene before ignition, results in a hotter, more efficient stove that does ...‎ConstructionPrinciple of operation
I'd heard of Primus stove... but, never looked into it. Anyone on TF have experience with usage... maybe like to share?? FF - at 5 gal per year do you mean for all cooking needs if you lived aboard?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity
Vessel Name: Cold Duck
Vessel Model: 1996 Shannon Voyager
Electric

When we bought our boat I removed everything propane and installed a two burner Induction cooktop and Convection Microwave.
AND an inverter which will run both.
If batteries run low I can always start the engine for a few minutes.
Maybe not for everyone but works for us.
Bill R.

Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote