Drone Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those all freaked out about their privacy being violated, it's hardly ever about you. Keep in mind that 99.9% of drones flying in and around an anchorage are getting images of the owner's boat, and/or the location itself. No one is trying to spy on you...

Spot on Darren!!!!

@Ready
Your story of the balloon festival reminded me of one of my biggest gripes with DJI, their geofencing they have built into their software sucks, sucks really bad. I can now recall several times where the software would not let me take off due to some BS tied to geofencing built into the software.

IF I was buying a new drone today, would not buy DJI just due to their software and geofencing problems. As far a I know, think DJI the only ones doing this strict geofencing.

I do NOT have drone, I have watch many take a swim when be launched or retrieved from our boat, near by boats and dingies/panga's...the one I am looking for these reasons is a waterproof model which is more fitting to my low drone skill set and concerns of going in the water, plus this model is designed more to return the remote location and seems to have great reviews from people...just sharing.

https://www.swellpro.com/spry.html

@mdstrum my first drone went for a swim, instant dead, glad I had insurance.

For those all freaked out about their privacy being violated, it's hardly ever about you. Keep in mind that 99.9% of drones flying in and around an anchorage are getting images of the owner's boat, and/or the location itself. No one is trying to spy on you...

The few we have had buzzing us were definately on the perve.
We have had them within 10 feet of the boat outside windows camera looking in.

In what regard are they "useful".

Scouting out potential anchorages.

Much of the world has chart inaccuracies and OpenCPN with its sat2chart satellite overlays are an invaluable resource.

If they made a drone where georeferenced images could be overlaid on charts that would be amazing.

I have been flying my DJI Mavic Air from the boat for several years - still got my drone, as well as hundreds of amazing photos and videos. If you are worried about losing your drone, don't fly it. It is definitely edgy . . . but so is boating. The DJI Mavic Mini is a very good place to start.

There is also a great Mavic Air Forum and I have learned a huge amount from that forum - most drone accidents (like boat accidents) are operator error. So this forum is a great learning resource.

We are sensitive to others and don't fly in anchorages unless empty. On the odd occasion that w have flown with another boat nearby, I have explained what I am doing and ask permission. Never been refused.

My way

My spark drone seems perfect for your purposes and the prices should be Down compared to several years ago when I bought mine

@Ready
IF I was buying a new drone today, would not buy DJI just due to their software and geofencing problems. As far a I know, think DJI the only ones doing this strict geofencing.

Dego, I've flown my DJI drone in Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, and Washington State. If it's geofenced, it must be a pretty darned big yard!

I read the user manual for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Apparently, it doesn't have the return to the remote control unit feature.

Any recommendations for drones that have this feature?

Thanks,

Bruce

Drone

DJI is the top industry drone.

I looked for a while and found an EXO (Google exo drone) which has similar characteristics and is considerably less expensive a strong point for a 1st drone.

Haven't flown it yet but seems interesting and exciting.

The unit I bought has flight avoidance which I thought wouldn't hurt for a starter unit.

Good luck

@ HEMI

Is your boat on a ball or in a marina? Get a lot of alarms? How do you keep the drone in sight during these 2 mile flights? So you buzzzz around quiet anchorages to check them out?

@rufas
I am not interested in a debate but will endeavor to respectfully answer your questions.

The boat is seasonally located in a mooring field attached to an owned/permanent mooring—we have 10+ foot tides and marinas are scarce, inconvenient and generally unsuitable for our needs.
I do not get “a lot” of alarms.
I may not have the drone in line of sight for the entire flight. I do not look at the drone when I am operating it—this is not how a drone is operated. A drone is not a kite attached to a string that requires control inputs based on my visual interpretation of what is needed. I am of the opinion that absolutely nothing about operating safety is assured just because you can maintain line of sight of a drone. In fact, looking at or watching a drone is the last thing I would be doing to assure safety if I am holding a functional controller. If the controller fails, the drone has failsafe protocols for its behavior—first to climb to a preset altitude and then a preselected option of my choosing made before flight.
As to your questions about anchorages, yes—I have used the drone to evaluate suitable anchorages. The drone is not operated in a manner to “buzzzz around quiet anchorages”. The question, as asked, conveys distain. As indicated in my prior post, the use-case of a drone will differ based on the individual. What may need to be added is that drone owners/operators differ. I operate a drone as I operate aircraft. I do not fly an aircraft at 1000’ AGL because I can, nor do I operate a drone at 50’ AGL because I can. To my ears, I can no longer hear the drone beyond 400’ AGL; I typically operate at 500-900’ AGL—a 4K camera and zoom lens goes a long way to evaluate anything of interest from far above. I would suggest if you or anyone else can hear or perceive a nuisance from a drone that is 500-900 feet in the air, you/they have an extraordinary gift. The notion that an anchorage is being ‘buzzed’ in the way I operate a drone is likely born from the concept you may have with how you have seen drones operated by other users.

Hemi, In the interest of legal compliance I wanted to raise two concerns/questions. Assuming recreational use I believe the FAA regulation requires line of sight flight only and 400 feet AGL is max flight altitude. I point this out as many read these forums and some may want to learn about the regulations. I believe both of these requirements are correct but if anyone knows different please share. I am basing this on a recreational drone flight and not a commercial flight which requires a license.

Hemi, In the interest of legal compliance I wanted to raise two concerns/questions. Assuming recreational use I believe the FAA regulation requires line of sight flight only and 400 feet AGL is max flight altitude. I point this out as many read these forums and some may want to learn about the regulations. I believe both of these requirements are correct but if anyone knows different please share. I am basing this on a recreational drone flight and not a commercial flight which requires a license.

I believe the regulations you cite are correct as noted—and licensing is fully dependent the weight of the drone (greater / less than 250 grams) not its capability. The 250 gram or less drones are flown under the FAA ‘Exception for Recreational Flyers’ in the US—for which I own.
I am not advocating the use of any drone for any purpose other than my own personal recreational use. ANY Drone user should familiarize themselves with all the regulatory restrictions, licensing and liabilities before operating—which can be locally imposed.

I read the user manual for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Apparently, it doesn't have the return to the remote control unit feature.

Any recommendations for drones that have this feature?

Thanks,

Bruce

It does. It is automatic and is no longer called out as an explicit function. It returns to wherever the controller is at the time (as long as GPS information is available/correct).

I've been creating videos with drones for almost 10 years, and I wasn't even familiar with a couple of manufacturers on this "Best Drones of 2022" list from Popular Mechanics:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g32209219/top-drones/

My current drone is a Yuneec Typhoon Q500 from 2016. They only make commercial hexacopters now. I'm quite ready to get a new drone with more bells and whistles...

I believe the regulations you cite are correct as noted—and licensing is fully dependent the weight of the drone (greater / less than 250 grams) not its capability. The 250 gram or less drones are flown under the FAA ‘Exception for Recreational Flyers’ in the US—for which I own.
I am not advocating the use of any drone for any purpose other than my own personal recreational use. ANY Drone user should familiarize themselves with all the regulatory restrictions, licensing and liabilities before operating—which can be locally imposed.

The under 250 grams rule allows you to operate the drone without a registration of the operator with the FAA and getting a registration number that must be applied to the drone. It does not exempt you from following the drone operating rules (<400AGL, VLOS, prohibited areas, etc.). If you have an airman certificate from the FAA for some other operation, they have more clout over you than a "regular" operator. Your certificate can be revoked if you are caught violating the drone rules. They can argue that you exhibit poor judgement.

Every recreational operator is also supposed to take "The Recreational UAS Safety Test" which teaches the rules. https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/

drone

I saw a drone in Hong Kong. The boat owner said it was called a "Splash" but he bought it direct from a factory in China. It was waterproof.
He also had a standalone depth sounder/fishfinder. This attached to the drone with a string and sent depth date to his phone. a dipping sonar

Not sure why YouTube recomended this to me this morning, but as Red Green would say: If the women don't find your handsome, at least they will find you handy!

$150 Drone Build

@Moonfish There are some other drones that were not on that list that I would buy if I was looking for a drone ATM. My buddy has one in particular, Ill have to see if I can find out the name, he does Topographic Surveying with it, think it was about $3K, about same size as my Mavic Pro, its pretty sweet.

Like I said before, not a fan of DJI geofencing they have built into their software, so annoying at times. Now sure you DJI fan boy's will say its there "for our own protection" but DJI is only drone company I know of using it.

edit: Just called my buddy, he has a EVO II Pro, its a sweet drone, expensive @ $2500 but sweet.

Last edited:
Thanks all. This has been very informative. We are not looking to make videos as much as conduct our recognizance and surveillance plan (R&S Plan) as we investigate anchorages, marinas and tight water ways.

I'll let you know how we make out wit this model.

JimL

DJI Mini 3 Pro

I bought a DJI Mini 3 Pro. It is amazingly small. It's perfect for hand launching and retrieving from a boat.

https://youtu.be/IpEDOMwgW_M

Not that I will be doing any over water flying until I have many more hours of flight time.

Bruce

The under 250 grams rule allows you to operate the drone without a registration of the operator with the FAA and getting a registration number that must be applied to the drone. It does not exempt you from following the drone operating rules (<400AGL, VLOS, prohibited areas, etc.). If you have an airman certificate from the FAA for some other operation, they have more clout over you than a "regular" operator. Your certificate can be revoked if you are caught violating the drone rules. They can argue that you exhibit poor judgement.

Every recreational operator is also supposed to take "The Recreational UAS Safety Test" which teaches the rules. https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/

That is a big deal for me as a licensed pilot, and for that reason, my next drone will be one i don't have to register. The FAA is brutal at times, and, yes, they will make up things to prosecute a pilot, and there's no jury or court with an impartial judge, so a violation, even if one is innocent, can be very expensive to fight.

Drones

Has anyone used one for docking? I can not see stern corners when backing in. Thought maybe 50’ up following stern might be better than backup cameras.

Has anyone used one for docking? I can not see stern corners when backing in. Thought maybe 50’ up following stern might be better than backup cameras.

Or just location hold over the slip. Like real time Google maps.

A remote for vessel control may be a more expensive but in my mind.....a better and more useful solution.

.....so you want to disturb my peace while backing into the slip next to me? And then flail around my boat during recovery? Who ARE you people?

.....so you want to disturb my peace while backing into the slip next to me? And then flail around my boat during recovery? Who ARE you people?

The boat will make more noise than the drone.

Might be a good idea for docking, but would need to be sure it would hold position without issues while docking. I'd be worried about the battery running down and it tried to return to home, while docking. Perhaps a camera is a better bet.

Back
Top Bottom