Dog crates on boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
How many of you use a dog crate on board. She spends nights and when we are away for the day in her crate with no issue. Her trainer told me when I am off the boat she should be crated to keep anxiety down. I have a new to me 5 year old rescue that can get into mischief when left alone to long. Let me know what you do.:thumb:

Wild dogs dig small burrows and stay in them most of the day. It is natural for dogs to remain in small, confined spaces most of the time. A lot of people, who anthropomorphize dogs, think that it is "cruel" to keep them confined for any length of time. The reality is that it is completely natural, and comfortable, for dogs to be confined for a large part of their day.

Leaving dogs crated for long periods is actually very natural and comforting for them. You just have to be sure that they get an opportunity to get out of the crate before it becomes necessary for them to defecate or urinate. They will hold it just fine, but if you leave them crated too long, it will be distressing for them to have to relieve themselves in the crate.

So, give them a chance -- after a reasonable amount of time -- to relieve themselves after eating or drinking. Then they will be perfectly happy to stay in the crate until the time comes that they, once again, have to relieve themselves. This is, in fact, an excellent way to train a dog when and where it should "go."

Absolutely one of the best training tools from our experience.
I have seen several dogs (ours and friends ) that continue to use their crates and will go there on their own and use it as a safe haven to redt even when door is left open and they are free to come and go.
Don't use it as a punishment is our learning.

Our lab, Radar, has been crate trained since he was a puppy. He likes the crate but it is way too big for the boat. We leave it in the living room at home with the door open. He will sometimes go into the crate and lay down but usually lays on his bed instead. When company comes over he barks at them and then goes into the crate. While they are in the house he will come out of the crate for a bit and then go back into it. So obviously he does feel comfortable in the crate and it is a safe refuge for him. On the boat he sleeps in our berth but when we go off the boat he absolutely wants to go with us. He doesn’t do any damage if we do leave him though. All we have to do is say “who wants to go on the boat?” And he is off to the dock wiggling all the way.

Our lab, Radar, has been crate trained since he was a puppy. He likes the crate but it is way too big for the boat. We leave it in the living room at home with the door open. He will sometimes go into the crate and lay down but usually lays on his bed instead. When company comes over he barks at them and then goes into the crate. While they are in the house he will come out of the crate for a bit and then go back into it. So obviously he does feel comfortable in the crate and it is a safe refuge for him. On the boat he sleeps in our berth but when we go off the boat he absolutely wants to go with us. He doesn’t do any damage if we do leave him though. All we have to do is say “who wants to go on the boat?” And he is off to the dock wiggling all the way.

I don't know how large a crate you use, Dave, but ours is just large enough for the dog to turn around when creating his "nest". For our 12 lb Havanese, Pan Pan, it is abt 20" x 10" x 10". On the boat it disappears behind a chair.
While on the size subject, we were trained to NEVER use those extendable leashes, to keep the dog on a leash short enough to have him at your heel when walking.

I would hesitate to leave any animal confined in a crate aboard a boat on the assumption that if flooding were to occur, the animal could get out of an open crate and have a better chance of surviving a sinking.

Radar’s crate is about 30” wide 42” deep and 36” tall. I know it doesn’t fit on our boat. I only do big dogs and Radar is about 90 pounds. Our last lab was 122 pounds.

Our Portuguese Water Dog (Roger That) has been crate trained since he was a puppy and LOVES his crate. On the boat we use a collapsible crate and he definitely lets us know when he’s had enough and just wants his crate deployed.
We think it’s his “safe spot” and he can fully rest in there.

Dogs can be trained either to crate or not crate. They want to please you their owner. Our boxer stays in the boat to sleep where he wants while we do our thing. Our last was a rescue, one of the questions asked was where will your dog sleep overnight. Lately the boy has taken to warm my chair awaiting my arrival.
Does that make me a one of those anthropomorphize people?

Millions of dog owners are demanding to know “Who’s a good boy?”

Pearl just wants to be where we are. Doesn't matter where. If we fit in a dog crate, she would happily join us there. Thunderstorm, rocking boat, fireworks at the 4th of July - she doesn't care. When we come back from dinner though, we do often find her sleeping under the salon dining table. I agree with the other posters, they tend to like sheltered spots. 20211024_111341.jpg

How many of you use a dog crate on board. She spends nights and when we are away for the day in her crate with no issue. Her trainer told me when I am off the boat she should be crated to keep anxiety down. I have a new to me 5 year old rescue that can get into mischief when left alone to long. Let me know what you do.:thumb:

whats the issue? dog is in her comfort zone, seems like you aren't...

I suppose it depends on the dog or the owner.
All my long line of dog companions never saw a crate. Cabin interiors can be dog proof when necessary. Otherwise my dogs have had the run of the boat.
In VN, we released a pilot that spent 2 years in a bamboo crate. Too small to stand or lie down. I wouldn't do that to a dog.

I don't find the right translation from bing or google.
Don't understand if crate is "panier" ou "niche" because they only answer "caisse" who could say both depend if it is open or closed...

Anyway the best place on board for a dog it is the place he choose, on few different boat and different dog the y always like to be between table and seat or , in cold winter time , close to the heater :whistling:

Attachments

• 100_1405.jpg
    100_1405.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_1032.jpg
    100_1032.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 23
I may not have been very clear. I believe in and we use a crate at home, she is happy to be in there. I am curious as to what people use on their boats. Rosie is a 50lb Fox Hound and has a large crate my son gave me. I am looking at buying a 30" collapsible one from Chewy for use on the boat. I want to have time on shore for her to get used to it before we leave.

On the boat we have a plastic crate, carry handle on top with a metal wire door. It’s durable and can be taken apart in half if need be. We have a folding crate in the car that uses nylon and mesh panels on a metal frame. It works ok unless he gets excited about something, which is often, then starts clawing at it, tearing the fabric. So we don’t expect it to last very long without some patching.

Our dog has a crate at home and he sleeps in it sometimes, but not all that often. We have a smaller collapsible crate for travel, but we haven't tried using it on the boat. He's generally ok left alone on the boat as long as we close the blinds so he can't see any people outside (and bark at them for attention).

My Good I understand by crate you mind THAT !

Why you want put your dog in that ?

He will find his prefered place on board and, if he was well educated, he do nothing wrong when you will be away.
But we had not the same thing we took our dog everywhere we move, even some time we thinks our dog take us everywhere she go:hide:

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 81ut-1tbLaL._AC_UL320_.jpg
    81ut-1tbLaL._AC_UL320_.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 185
My Good I understand by crate you mind THAT !

Why you want put your dog in that ?

He will find his prefered place on board and, if he was well educated, he do nothing wrong when you will be away.
But we had not the same thing we took our dog everywhere we move, even some time we thinks our dog take us everywhere she go:hide:

It depends on the dog. If a crate is left out and open, some dogs feel safer or are happier in the crate while their humans are gone, so they don't mind being closed in. Others are happier being able to roam freely. And sometimes, it takes a while for a dog to get used to a space like a boat, so they may need to be contained at times while they're still adjusting.

When we go out in the car our dog wants to come. In the summer heat we leave him at home and had set up a cam to see what he does. He curls up and goes to sleep, but is awake as soon as we pull into the driveway.
On the boat, we have gone up the dock to a restaurant, he watches us leave. On return we sneak up and he is up from slumber as soon as we step foot on the boat.
The dog is happy as long as the human thinks he is happy, whether caged or free we are the ones saying they are happy, not the dog. Believe what you want to make you happy.

We had a standard poodle. We kept a crate with the door opened. He would go in there to sleep or nap. It was his favorite resting place. We let him decide where he wanted to be. He loved that crate. He’s gone 11 years now and not a day goes by that I don’t miss him.

Our lab likes his crate. He will go into it on his own and go to sleep. It isn’t a prison or punishment. Our last lab would go stand by the door of his crate if the door was closed and enter the crate as soon as you opened the door. But he was 122 pounds so his crate was huge. On the boat he would just lay by the bed in the aft cabin. Our current lab wants to sleep in bed with us.

I may not have been very clear. I believe in and we use a crate at home, she is happy to be in there. I am curious as to what people use on their boats. Rosie is a 50lb Fox Hound and has a large crate my son gave me. I am looking at buying a 30" collapsible one from Chewy for use on the boat. I want to have time on shore for her to get used to it before we leave.

I agree! I have had dogs that love their crate... That is their happy place at night... I couldn't imagine it wouldn't translate to the boat

...He’s gone 11 years now and not a day goes by that I don’t miss him.

We had a dog like that. Always looked you in the eyes like a human. Sang songs to certain music. I still have recordings on my phone but can't bring myself to play them. She died at the foot of our bed early in the morning on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter, 2015. Once in a lifetime dog.

I do understand. It still hurts.

Are your dogs truly happy in their crates or are they just obedient?

Maybe the answer is how they act when released.

On the other hand, I think crates would be ok for kids.

Are your dogs truly happy in their crates or are they just obedient?

Maybe the answer is how they act when released.

On the other hand, I think crates would be ok for kids.

I truly believe that our lab is happy in his crate because we almost never tell him to get into it. But he does with great regularity. He acts the same when he gets out of the crate as when he went into it. Maybe because the door sits open and he has control as to when he kennels up.

I truly believe that our lab is happy in his crate because we almost never tell him to get into it. But he does with great regularity. He acts the same when he gets out of the crate as when he went into it. Maybe because the door sits open and he has control as to when he kennels up.

Dave, Does he only sleep in the crate?

Ours has a window seat mattress, a dog mattress, and lately my recliner. That is in addition to multiple spots on the floor.
He knows the couch is off limits, human beds off limits, and he respects the off limits.
Otherwise there is no memory of go to your crate, go to this spot because that is what I want. They can be bad, but mostly do what you want once they know what it is you want.
Oh and I believe he is happy in the crate since the master introduced it so he pleases you by using it.

No, he sleeps in multiple places. He has a bed in the living room, his crate, several carpets he likes and our bed upstairs. He moves around but spends most of his time on his bed and our bed. But several times a night he will go into his crate and scratch for 5 minutes getting it ready to lie down. He lays there for a time and then moves to one of his other favorite places. When we have company he usually goes into his crate, not because we tell him to but rather because he either feels safe or he likes it.

Back
Top Bottom