Dockwa

Has anyone used this service?

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus..._hsmi=81639664

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #2

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Only stay at Marinas that use it at this point.

Significant number of East Coast marinas have come onboard in the last few years.

Its wonderful!

AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
At this stage of my life I hate to be obligated to be at a certain location on a certain day. I just get up in the morning and decide if we are going to cruise or just stay put. Don't really stay in marinas much anyway so would probably never use it.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
At this stage of my life I hate to be obligated to be at a certain location on a certain day. I just get up in the morning and decide if we are going to cruise or just stay put. Don't really stay in marinas much anyway so would probably never use it.
I see they are adding PNW marinas.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Guru

A few friends have used it. Makes reservations easy peasy.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Point Pleasant
Vessel Name: Lady Lu
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST34
I used it a few times. I like it. It is also easy to cancel a reservation if need be.
4fun1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Used it say a dozen times.

It is sometimes easy and sometimes not so easy.

I don't like their cancellation policy most of all.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Used it say a dozen times.

It is sometimes easy and sometimes not so easy.

I don't like their cancellation policy most of all.
Dockwa does NOT specify the cancellation policy.

That is defined by each specific marina.

I have found the marinas we visit are very accommodating and usually issue refunds even if it violates their policy. Usually driven by weather and even just change of plans.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Used it to make a reservation at Pt Angeles this last September. Problem is that there is no one to talk about slip assignments or whatever else you might need. You can only pay your money and not know where to park when you get there. I was supposed to get a call from the dock master. Never got a call back on the trip from Neah Bay to Pt Angeles even though I had bars on the phone the whole way. Got there after dark and just stayed at the fuel dock.

Nice thing is that you don't have to go into the dockmaster's office just to pay.
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
Dockwa does NOT specify the cancellation policy.

That is defined by each specific marina.

I have found the marinas we visit are very accommodating and usually issue refunds even if it violates their policy. Usually driven by weather and even just change of plans.

That must be pretty new as it's been in all my reservations that I never processed and called the marina directly which did NOT have a cancellation policy.

With Dockwa I had to pay something as soon as I made the reservation...which didn't give me any warm and fuzzies. I am not the type to "wait and see about a possible refund", I go where I know it isn't going to be an issue and thank the marina for not having an unreasonable cancellation policy.

I am not saying others didn't have that experience, but I did on several attempts. So now I only use Dockwa for places that leave you no choice or marinas I am know at.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
That must be pretty new as it's been in all my reservations that I never processed and called the marina directly which did NOT have a cancellation policy.

With Dockwa I had to pay something as soon as I made the reservation...which didn't give me any warm and fuzzies. I am not the type to "wait and see about a possible refund", I go where I know it isn't going to be an issue and thank the marina for not having an unreasonable cancellation policy.

I am not saying others didn't have that experience, but I did on several attempts. So now I only use Dockwa for places that leave you no choice or marinas I am know at.
Dockwa does not charge your card until the Marina confirms the reservation. If they do not have space, then you get a rejection and your card is never charged.

When the Marina signs up Dockwa asks' them for their cancellation policy. If they don't have one, they can opt to use Dockwa's default, or none at all.

I manage Dockwa for our Marina. We use it for transient reservations as well as managing our seasonal slips and members.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDana2 View Post
Used it to make a reservation at Pt Angeles this last September. Problem is that there is no one to talk about slip assignments or whatever else you might need. You can only pay your money and not know where to park when you get there. I was supposed to get a call from the dock master. Never got a call back on the trip from Neah Bay to Pt Angeles even though I had bars on the phone the whole way. Got there after dark and just stayed at the fuel dock.

Nice thing is that you don't have to go into the dockmaster's office just to pay.
Most Marinas offer a telephone number, and VHF channel in their welcome email or Dockwa profile.

Pretty much the same as making a reservation over the phone. You can call in advance and see if they have your slip assignment, or hail on VHF when approaching.

Always reference it as a Dockwa reservation when calling or hailing.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Nothing on the Great lakes so I deleted the app.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Here is the biggest rub I have with Dockwa. Letís say you want to reserve at St Petersburg Municipal Marina. You put your request in with Dockwa and wait for the marina to approve. You canít go looking at other marinas for a slip because at any moment they could approve and the charge goes through. If itís less than 24 hours odds are you wonít get any money back if you found another slip somewhere else. We like bow-in starboard side tie the north basin. If you donít call ahead first to see what is available, you get whatever they give you. Last time there we were in the south end under the airport takeoffs, port side tie where we had to climb over the rail to board. Had we known that, we would have went elsewhere.
Where it does work is when you know for sure your schedule and any slip or mooring ball will do. Especially greater than 24 hours in advance
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently moored in Englewood, Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #15
Guru

Exactly...great idea, works much of the time but I don't find it all that useful compared to a good old phone call direct to the marina.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Here is the biggest rub I have with Dockwa. Letís say you want to reserve at St Petersburg Municipal Marina. You put your request in with Dockwa and wait for the marina to approve. You canít go looking at other marinas for a slip because at any moment they could approve and the charge goes through. If itís less than 24 hours odds are you wonít get any money back if you found another slip somewhere else. We like bow-in starboard side tie the north basin. If you donít call ahead first to see what is available, you get whatever they give you. Last time there we were in the south end under the airport takeoffs, port side tie where we had to climb over the rail to board. Had we known that, we would have went elsewhere.
Where it does work is when you know for sure your schedule and any slip or mooring ball will do. Especially greater than 24 hours in advance
Quote:
Exactly...great idea, works much of the time but I don't find it all that useful compared to a good old phone call direct to the marina.
Always good to phone ahead. You should know far in advance that this is the particular marina you want to stay. However, have you seen folks making multiple reservations? Or waiting to the last minute to cancel? With a reservation the marina will lock down the slip for you. But I understand the marinas concern that a last minute reservation cancellation also leaves the slip empty when it could have made some money by giving the slip to someone else.

As far as Dockwa, if there are issues, like preference for tie ups or their cancellation policy, give them a call or write them about the concerns. You never know, they may adjust their policy as they want happy boaters and happy marinas.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Always good to phone ahead. You should know far in advance that this is the particular marina you want to stay. However, have you seen folks making multiple reservations? Or waiting to the last minute to cancel? With a reservation the marina will lock down the slip for you. But I understand the marinas concern that a last minute reservation cancellation also leaves the slip empty when it could have made some money by giving the slip to someone else.

As far as Dockwa, if there are issues, like preference for tie ups or their cancellation policy, give them a call or write them about the concerns. You never know, they may adjust their policy as they want happy boaters and happy marinas.
When making the reservation, you have a special request text field you can fill out. I always put in tie up preference and it is honored the majority of the time
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I would prefer the marinas leave the middle people and apps out of it and talk to me directly. I guess Iím old fashioned. I even donít mind walking to the harbormasterís office to pay. How do you pronounce Dockwa anyway? Dock wah? Dock way?
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #19

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
I see they are adding PNW marinas.

Tom, Is that PNW marinas only in Washington state or are they adding PNW marinas in Canada as well?
(Cheap shot coming from another thread, and not taken at you )
Old 01-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #20

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
Quote:
I've used it, mostly for Poulsbo. quick and easy, can save the boat profile so the next time it's only a couple clicks and you're good to go...

Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote