Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Speaking as an old retired codger who has had boats throughout adult life, it's a bit like running a race. While you're working, you grab as many weeks and weekends as you possibly can. You're young so you can run yourself ragged getting the boat ready, loading it up, getting home and back to work. But it's worth it. Now you reach the retirement finish line. All of a sudden, your boat time is denominated in months rather than days, and you now actually have the time to work on the boat in a meaningful way. And you don't have to press the weather envelope to get home and back to work. If you have a boat, retirement is nirvana. You'll get there.

Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Interesting topic. I retired the last time at 50 and took off for the Bahamas two days later and I have no kids that need me but I still don’t have enough time to do all I would like on the boat. Something always gets in the way. Scott and Ted have it made, they are on the water almost every day and they make money doing it.

Life is short, enjoy it.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
In 2017 it looks like there will have been 125 nights anchored out. Less than last year, but still OK. I expect to use the boat more next year.
125 night anchored out is awesome. Congratulations.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #24

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
great conversation. My wife and I used to use the boat lots. In fact, both ex wives and I used our boats a lot. Key is "ex".

this last year and a half, after my most recent wife left, it knocked my socks off and I found it almost impossible to spend time on the boat. First, the memories killed me and frankly boating is just not as much fun when you're by yourself. But, I've been on the water most of my life and couldn't just pack it in.

So this winter I sold the old boat 4388 bayliner, and am in the process of buying a smaller boat that suits my needs more, Camano Troll. Survey this coming Tuesday in fact.

So we'll see how it goes. I've got some big plans for the spring/summer/fall time will tell.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
With aging boomers and their degenerating eyes, you could probably work 7 days a week if you want. No boating! You'll have to limit yourself. What about only being open 4 days a week, 10 hour days? Then you have 3 day weekends where it still makes sense to get out boating, and full time employment for your emps. It's what a lot of dentists/orthos do.
I try to work 4 day weeks as often as I can. 10 hour days are tough. I find that I can't stay as sharp as I like over that length of time. A huge part of my role is to engage and listen to my patients. If I am tired or hungry, it just isn't as enjoyable and I don't think I am giving my patients my best. Odd as other much more physical jobs that I used to have I would happily work 12+ hours but I found that when I started seeing patients, those long days weren't as enjoyable.

Lately, I need that 5th day to fill in the gaps, plus admin time. Down the road, with the addition of an associate, I would like to cut down to 3 days/week on average.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #26

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
We feel fortunate to be retired and living in Skyline, Anacortes. We are a five minute walk from our boat, and can go out most anytime. We spent 67 nights cruising the San Juans, and B.C. Gulf Islands this year. Next year Southeast Alaska, departing early May The boat is 41 years old, and has been meticulously maintained by the previous owner.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm working 183 days a year, on an equal time rotation. It was 4 weeks on / 4 weeks off. Now its 2 weeks on/off. Its tough working 12 hours days for weeks on end but the reward is worth it.

My wife has been working full time, so we've only done overnighters together this year. We're cruising for a week at the end of this month..

I managed a nice two week, 500 nm round trip to Port Lincoln with a couple old high school mates, plus a few multi day cruises on my own.
+ full kitchen renovation
+ landscaped the yard
+ replaced home carpet with tile
+ re-faced the fireplace
And still managed to fit in a holiday to Fiji (flying)

I still don't feel like I'm using the boat enough. Maybe next year.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #28
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Never ever will I get to use it as much as I would like to. Never.

We were doing pretty well with time on the boat until 3 years ago when my wife decided that we needed a swimming pool to entertain the grandkids. You know the story...Happy wife, happy life.

Well the pool seriously cut into our boat time because the grands were here every weekend, along with their parents. Our food bill, booze bill and every other bill went up because my wife felt it was important to be "good hosts".

This year the grands won't be around so much because they moved to a new neighborhood that has a community pool two doors away. We likely won't see them as much with equals more time on the boat.

Stay tuned.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
NO. Definitely not. I'm 36 , with my main career and also being a part-time small biz entrepreneur it is so tough to find time to get on the water.

But one mistake I will not make is , "holding on too long". My Dad retired at age 75 from his career as a vascular surgeon. He had no hobbies and no vision for retirement. WORK WAS HIS LIFE, THAT'S IT. PERIOD. Now he's 85 and in failing health......

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #30
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
I retired late 40s and my wife in her early 50s.
A few days after her last day of work be moved aboard, finished off a few things at a marina berth over the next few weeks, locked up the house and headed out.
That was 18 mths ago.
Haven't spent a night ashore or tied to a berth since.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Goldcoast
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Do it before you cant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I have plenty of time to use my boats whenever I want, but other issues kept me from using them as I wanted last summer. First the radar on my sailboat failed during the first week of the season. My wife won't even go aboard the boat if there is fog forecast without the radar. The other issue was my health. A side effect of the leukemia that I have is severe fatigue. Last summer I started the season with about a three hour limit before I was done for the day. I was down to an hour and a half by the end of the season. Even walking down to the boat at the marina wore me out. Hopefully next summer will be better.
I feel for you, I had to sell my business because of Leukemia, travelled to the U S bought a trawler and travelled the Great loop.It was the best therapy ever, since we arrived back in Australia I have bought another boat. We intend to make 2018 a very constant boating year. I have to pace myself due to fatigue but I feel my time on the boat makes me feel so much better.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #32
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
No, definitely not. Which is why I sold her and am looking to downsize. The first years were great, then, the all-too-common things started popping up. Caring for a sick father, then getting my mother settled after Pop passed, wife's hip replacement, my cancer ... and, oh yeah, that pesky day job. Always something!

Hoping to be able to semi-retire next year and get serious on the search for the next boat.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #33
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
My parents had dreams of boating, never slowed down to actually do it and now they are beyond boating (health) and now in retrospect are kicking themselves for not doing it. Me I work a lot but still have time for about 4-10 4 day fishing trips. This year we are going to take a trip or two to Destin and Orange Beach in the spring and do a few more fishing trips this summer.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #34
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Too damn little!

I retired this year and made two miscalculations about the “endless” boating time coming our way.

First was underestimating how much work was involved doing even a moderate refit of electronics, electrics, heads, rudders, bonding system, through hulls, etc, etc. This was compounded by the boat being 760 miles from our home and only being able to spend a week or 10 days at a time on her.

Second was the massive amount of work waiting for me back home after I retired. We have 9 acres and making up for being away for 5 years really cut into boat time.

All this makes my major resolution for 2018 an easy one.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The most use you will get while still working is living aboard.

Not always practical.

Some schedules make staying aboard for extended periods practical and can be as good as just having it docked out back.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #36
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Speaking as an old retired codger who has had boats throughout adult life, it's a bit like running a race. While you're working, you grab as many weeks and weekends as you possibly can. You're young so you can run yourself ragged getting the boat ready, loading it up, getting home and back to work. But it's worth it. Now you reach the retirement finish line. All of a sudden, your boat time is denominated in months rather than days, and you now actually have the time to work on the boat in a meaningful way. And you don't have to press the weather envelope to get home and back to work. If you have a boat, retirement is nirvana. You'll get there.
Ditto. Almost twenty years retired, and 2-5 months cruising the Inside Passage almost every summer since. Would use the boat in winter too if I lived in Washington rather than Utah.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #37
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I'm just sitting here, tied to the dock. I have close to 400 gallons of fuel on board, 500 gpd water maker, enough food for more than a week. Everything that NEEDS to be done is done. Alas, as others have pointed out, boating alone is not as much fun as boating with someone special so, I sit here still tied to the dock.

Oh by the way, I am accepting applicants assuming she has a good sense of humor and has some knowledge of boating.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I didn't have the time, I made the time. Took 2017 off from running my charter boat to do the Great Loop. Absolutely loved the trip, the time off, and getting a new perspective on many things.

Simply, you choose to do other things that get in the way of boating. You have to be realistic about other obligations and financial considerations, but you still make conscious choices not to take a day here, a weekend there, and your weeks of vacation. Taking the year off was a tough choice. It would have been easy to say I can't, don't have the time, or can't afford to. Instead I just choose to do it while I still could.

I'm sitting on my boat at Cayo Costa doing a 3 day get away. Plenty of projects waiting for me at home, but this was my last chance to escape before the Christmas, New Years, and family obligations. So the projects will wait till I get back.

Probably not as much boating in 2018. Will be back at work running the charter boat. The plan is to spend at least a couple of days each week on Chesapeake Bay getting away next summer. I know there will be weeks that it won't happen, but if you don't try hard, none of them will.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #39
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
After retirement bought the Willard and did a reasonably good re-fit. New engine, fuel tanks, electronics ect ect.

Always wanted to go “home” (SE Alaska) so we went to Thorne Bay near Ketchikan. Lived there for 7or 8 years and eventually found it to be too remote. So we went back to Wash state. After years in Ak the overpopulation thing reared it’s head again. But it’s comfortable here and I do get to drive a lot. Driving is probably even more important to me than boating. But driving is not what it used to be either.

Now the older age issues, fix this and work on that, family stuff, doctor stuff and re-hab from my rotater cuff operation ect ect the boat gets largely forgotten. We did have a nice trip to Olympia this last spring but that’s the last boating we’ve done this year. Now we have a small motor home so how we’ll get back to the boat I’m not sure. I’d like to get up to the north end of Vancouver Is. and spend some time in Queen Charolette Straight. Very little will need to be done on the boat. She’s practically ready to go.

But re Dave’s question life does seem to get in the way of boating. As a young man I could never understand all the boats in the marinas and few ever seemed to be used. Now I have one and I understand.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #40

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
We don't spend as much time as I would like on board, but we are working at it. I just delivered our new-to-us boat down to the Sea of Cortez (where I have kept a boat for 4 years), and my family and I are headed down there on Monday to spend Christmas in Mexico. I am retired and my wife just retired, so we are looking at making our trips to Mexico last a month or more, instead of a couple weeks at a time. I'd say that we average around 70-80 days aboard each year, not all at anchor. Life is good! I would love to live aboard, but my wife loves the dirt life. Oh well. This is a great thread and I'm impressed with how much time you all are logging aboard.

Cheers, Bill