Dinghy Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
After a long layup, When I first put my dinghy in the water and turned the key, it failed to start right up. I have owned this dinghy for 10 years, having bought it here, from a TF member. This dinghy was a 2003 model, with a 2004 Honda 40. In all previous years, it has started right up.
From the noises, I diagnosed the difficulty as a battery issue, put the charger on over night and tried again the following day. Same problem, only worse. When I put in a new battery, worse still. By this time I wasn't getting any noise from the starter and even the power tilt wasn't working. As I know less than most of you about electrics, I called around for a Marine mechanic. I found one and my invoice tells me that the problem was simple.
In assembly, the battery was connected to the outboard with the usual 4/0 cables, but there was a connection hidden below the floor. This connection was, naturally, after 16 yrs, totally corroded and passing little power.
My first thought, naturally, WTF? How would any self respecting inflatable dealer allow this to occur? This isn't the first occurrence of this. Last summer our cruising companions had a similar issue with their 1 or 2 yr old inflatable.
My Q?: Do the outboard dealers send along a 4' long set of battery connections? Then do the inflatable dealers add whatever length will connect to their own battery location? Then they put a crimp connection in the bilge, where it hides until it fails, which is inevitable. In my case, 16 yrs or so. In my friend's case, 1 or 2 yrs. Watch out!
Makes so little sense.

Yep, that's how I did mine. The factory cables are only long enough if your battery is right back with the engine, mine is up front. Had to splice in more cable to reach. Now you know for next time.

Another thing to watch for is a bad battery causing a blown fuse on the outboard. Had that problem a couple years ago and it was not the first thing to come to mind.

Original owners are only suppose to own the boat for 7 years. This problem was suppose to happen to the second owner. Manufacturers and dealers don’t really care about what happens to people who buy used boats. (Humor)

I think you mean 4 gauge cable. If you were going to splice to that, they make heat shrink butt connectors. On my outboard motor, I replaced the cable with one the proper length.

Ted

That's the right answer right there.

Yes, but that is how it should have been done at the very beginning. No splice, no matter how good a splice, should be hidden in the bilge, when, for the cost of the splice and labour, you would get the extra length of an unspliced cable. Built-in obsolescence, for sure.

"O C Diver I think you mean 4 gauge cable. If you were going to splice to that, they make heat shrink butt connectors. On my outboard motor, I replaced the cable with one the proper length.

Ted"

Right, I rarely get the cable number when they are fat like that. I now have proper length cables.

Right, I rarely get the cable number when they are fat like that. I now have proper length cables.

I'd go to your local quality chandlery and tell the electrical person what you are running and the wiring size and length you are using. If you aren't using the proper sized wire for the length and load of the job, you could be in for another surprise. To me number 4 wire sounds like it will do the job, but I know what I don't know so I if it were me I'd want confirmation using the proper wire size.

IMG_3006.jpg

My dingy never fails to start but doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Back
Top Bottom