Old 12-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Cruising Lake Champlain

All,

Will be cruising Lake Champlain this summer, most likely in June.

Looking for neat places to see, good anchorages and things I might want to avoid.

Heading up on the Hudson to get there. Looks like a pretty good hike up the Champlain river/canal..... anything exciting there?

Then heading up to Montreal..... if Canada open.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I was there this summer and can give you a good bit of information. Although, if it were me, I'd rather come back through Champlain in August as it and the water will be much warmer (surface temperatures in the low 80s).

I covered a good bit of the lake in 2 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211205-161434_Adblock Browser.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	123548

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
We are planning on moving our new to us boat to Lake Champlain via the Hudson and Champlain canal in May depending on lock schedules.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Larry
Thats a great trip, you will enjoy it.
A couple stops that stick in my mind...
Champlain Canal
Waterford - busy but an interesting stop with boats coming & going on both Champlain & Erie
Fort Edward- good restaurant nearby... we judge many of our stops by the restaurants nearby.
Whitehall - good tie up at town wall w power and a good staging place for a day cruise to Lk Champlain

LK C
Maritime museum on SE shore a worthwhile stop.
Burlington- a great stop with lots to offer, good public transport, restaurants, etc. Reservations for a slip essential and a mooring field close by.
Plattsburgh - several historic museums within walking distance. Town marina a good option & restaurants nearby.
Deep Bay - N of Plattsburg is a state park with many mooring cans Beach & places ashore for walks

Montreal - old Town marina is a great location but reservations recommended.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
We are planning on doing the Triangle Loop, leaving around June 20. Chesapeake Bay to Hudson River, NYS Canals to Lake Ontario, Kingston to Ottawa, Montreal and maybe Quebec and then back to Lake Champlain and home. Maybe we'll be bumping into you along the way!

BTW, if you come up the Chesapeake we should try and meet up somewhere.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
We are planning on doing the Triangle Loop, leaving around June 20. Chesapeake Bay to Hudson River, NYS Canals to Lake Ontario, Kingston to Ottawa, Montreal and maybe Quebec and then back to Lake Champlain and home. Maybe we'll be bumping into you along the way!

That sounds like a good trip. I will be taking the same path to Ottawa and then heading back down to do the Trent Severn and on to Lake Superior. Probably be about a month ahead of you.

Ted
Old 12-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
That sounds like a good trip. I will be taking the same path to Ottawa and then heading back down to do the Trent Severn and on to Lake Superior. Probably be about a month ahead of you.

Ted
Give a wave to Rochester when you hit Lake Ontario!
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Give a wave to Rochester when you hit Lake Ontario!
Will do, but will probably pass by on the Erie canal East bound in mid September.

Ted
Old 12-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:

If you purchase your Canadian Lock & mooring passes before end of March there is a significant discount.
Do a little exploring of 1,000 Is area before starting the Rideau. Antique Boat museum in Clayton is worth a full day. Bold & Singer Castles near Alex Bay interesting. Then take the northern channel back to Kingston before starting the Rideau.
If you want any sights, restaurant, lock or Anchorage info on Rideau PM me and I can elaborate.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
I live in Malletts Bay and cruise Champlain all summer. There's lots to do. PM me if interested in chatting. If you make it to Malletts Bay/Colchester or Burlington, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up and host for a drink or dinner.

On the cool side, I live on the northernmost part of Marble Island, so I see every boat that goes in and out of Inner Malletts Bay.

@O C Diver We met very briefly this summer I think. You were anchored over by the causeway in Malletts Bay. I stopped by to look at your beautiful boat in a little 13 whaler and we chatted briefly.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
A few other interesting spots depending on how much time you have:
Partridge Harbour (SW) Converse Bay (anchorage) Otter Creek up to Vergennes
Definitely call well in advance for Burlington reservations but dont miss a stop there, Valcour Island (NW anchorages), Burton Island (NE).
Old 12-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
Guru

I always liked Haverstraw Bay as an anchorage in the lower Hudson north of the Tappanzee bridge on the east side of the river. A zoo on weekends but sparse during the week.
Rondout Creek near Kingston is a nice stop. A tough fit for a 40 ft boat at the town marina, but we managed. There are some nice restaurants and a small museum.
Coeyman's Landing is/was a nice marina with great people, they used to be a Mainship dealer. There's another marina just south in New Baltimore both on the west side of the river. And if you'd rather anchor we always like going behind Houghtailing's Island (sp?). But the Metro runs all night lol.
Definately stay at Waterford if you can. Good place to restock.
We liked the Champlain canal wall at Schulerville, and Whitehall.
We liked the anchorage behind Valcour Island. And spending the night/refueling at Rouses point is a good plan.
We spent the night at several of the French speaking towns on the Richelieu, I think St Jeans and Chambly were a couple of them.
And stay in Old Montreal at the big marina there (can't recall the name). Spend a few days, it's interesting. But be wary of the last mile or 2 going into Montreal because you'll be bucking a strong current and it sneaks up on you (at least it did on me).

Have a great trip!

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #13

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I always liked Haverstraw Bay as an anchorage in the lower Hudson north of the Tappanzee bridge on the east side of the river. A zoo on weekends but sparse during the week.
Rondout Creek near Kingston is a nice stop. A tough fit for a 40 ft boat at the town marina, but we managed. There are some nice restaurants and a small museum.
Coeyman's Landing is/was a nice marina with great people, they used to be a Mainship dealer. There's another marina just south in New Baltimore both on the west side of the river. And if you'd rather anchor we always like going behind Houghtailing's Island (sp?). But the Metro runs all night lol.
Definately stay at Waterford if you can. Good place to restock.
We liked the Champlain canal wall at Schulerville, and Whitehall.
We liked the anchorage behind Valcour Island. And spending the night/refueling at Rouses point is a good plan.
We spent the night at several of the French speaking towns on the Richelieu, I think St Jeans and Chambly were a couple of them.
And stay in Old Montreal at the big marina there (can't recall the name). Spend a few days, it's interesting. But be wary of the last mile or 2 going into Montreal because you'll be bucking a strong current and it sneaks up on you (at least it did on me).

Have a great trip!
Good Stuff Jay!

I had several of your recommendations on my list of possible stops, Coeymans, Haverstraw, etc. Also Waterford, Valcour Island, etc. I think we have to stop at Rouses Point to go through customs. For Montreal, we were thinking of staying at Port de Plaisance, Longueuil and take the high speed ferry to the city. Any thoughts on that idea?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Good Stuff Jay!

I had several of your recommendations on my list of possible stops, Coeymans, Haverstraw, etc. Also Waterford, Valcour Island, etc. I think we have to stop at Rouses Point to go through customs. For Montreal, we were thinking of staying at Port de Plaisance, Longueuil and take the high speed ferry to the city. Any thoughts on that idea?
I liked being in the city, it was an awesome experience. It was a little more expensive but well worth the convenience IMO.
Customs is just past Rouses Point marina.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I was there this summer and can give you a good bit of information. Although, if it were me, I'd rather come back through Champlain in August as it and the water will be much warmer (surface temperatures in the low 80s).

I covered a good bit of the lake in 2 months.

Ted
Ted and all, we’d like to do the Champlain in 2023 but the lowest we’re likely to be is 17’3” or so with full tanks and everything removed from the radar arch. I understand that the limiting bridge height is 17’0”. Also think I read somewhere that the lock operators will fluctuate the water levels under certain conditions if asked. Know anything about this? Also, do water levels typically decline naturally in the summer, assuming that’s the dry season up there?

Any direct experience much appreciated.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
In Montreal another great place to stay is in the Lachine Canal just above the bottom lock. It's run by Parks Canada. Fabulous location in the heart of the old city.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
We stayed at the Old Port of Montreal which is right in the heart of the city. Had a great time.

And in Quebec City, if you go that far, we also stayed in the Old Port which is inside a lock that stabilizes the level relative to the tides inside a closed basin. It was another excellent location for seeing the city.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
@O C Diver We met very briefly this summer I think. You were anchored over by the causeway in Malletts Bay. I stopped by to look at your beautiful boat in a little 13 whaler and we chatted briefly.
You had me scratching my head for a minute.

Inside the causeway, the small bay to the North is where I anchored twice. I think that's where we talked.

Really enjoyed Niquette Bay and hiking the park there. Left the boat for a week at Champlain Marina while doing a family vacation. The marina was extremely accommodating.

Ted
Old 12-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Ted and all, wed like to do the Champlain in 2023 but the lowest were likely to be is 173 or so with full tanks and everything removed from the radar arch. I understand that the limiting bridge height is 170. Also think I read somewhere that the lock operators will fluctuate the water levels under certain conditions if asked. Know anything about this? Also, do water levels typically decline naturally in the summer, assuming thats the dry season up there?

Any direct experience much appreciated.
I can't give you a good answer as I'm away from the boat for 10 days. I believe there would be more than one brige at issue.

The dry season doesn't really effect the Champlain locks as the water doesn't come from Lake Champlain. Best way to describe it, from Waterford on the Champlain canal, you are ascending till lock 8. At lock 9 you start descending for the remaining locks to the lake. There is a small tributary that maintains the level between 8 and 9. The rest of the way in each direction, there are spillways to maintain the canal levels.

Ted
Old 12-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #20
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Thanks!

I found an early discussion here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...nal-16866.html

Looks like half a dozen bridges are in the 17-foot range at normal pool. Passage for us would be rainfall/pool-dependent as well as the kindness of lock operators.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote