Cruising With A Firearm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a timely discussion, for me anyway. Apologies for the long winded post.

I'm planning my first trip down the ICW for this fall, and am considering the potential benefits of having a firearm on board. As an NRA instructor and CCW holder in multiple states, I have some experience with firearms and the law.

I know that this will be an entirely personal decision, but I'm conflicted. I have not read (or heard) of ANY incidents on this route where a boater was confronted, and successfully defended himself (herself) with a firearm. Sure, there are stories of rowdy folks on shore partying near public docks, but that is only a perceived potential threat, not an actual one.

For folks with CCW permits, the only place I've heard (read) that a loaded firearm cannot be on the boat is near the Naval yards in Norfolk. Unloaded firearms should be good to go for everyone else, everywhere else from the Chesapeake Bay south. This assumes that the firearm complies with all federal, state and local ordinances, and that the owner is not a prohibited person.

As the saying goes, "It's better to have it and not need it". I'd add that it's better to not use it if at all possible. No matter how legally justified we might be in defending our lives (not property), the aftermath of a shooting is horrific, as well as expensive. God forbid that the person we shoot is of a different ethnicity than we are, as then the incident will become more about race and prejudice than it is about self defense. It will be purely coincidental what folks look like in a life and death situation, but the media will make it seem as though there was an agenda in place that caused the boater to "plan" to shoot somebody, and hope for the chance to do so.

Bottom line is to follow your conscience and the law. Get training, and practice with your chosen defensive tool. Everyone who has used deadly force to save their own lives has had their life changed forever. Consider buying self defense insurance. Most of these companies will provide the name and number of an attorney you can call when the need arises.

A final thought... consider having non-lethal defensive tools available. Aerosol sprays (tear gas) are not optimal as the wind can blow the cloud back into the face of the defender. Kimber makes a Pepper Blaster that I recommend. Tasers can be an option against a single attacker as long as it's not winter or the attacker is not wearing heavy layers of clothing, and most tasers are limited to a single shot. I'm a fan of Japanese style swords, and plan to have a Wakasashi (short Katana) on board. Perfect for close quarters defense, no chance of a puncture to the hull, and I'm hoping that the sight of a 250 lb naked redneck with a sword, hollering a rebel yell, might dissuade an attacker from his approach. At least he might pause long enough to stop laughing and give me some time to react. :D

I go with the "Don't ask, Don't tell" philosophy. I am licensed to carry (concealed). My protection is handy but hidden. Anyone doing a simple inspection of my boat would not know it is on board. If I was asked if I have weapons on board I would respond yes, flare guns, knives, clubs.

Totally different story cruising Canada.

pete

I know the OP's question was about NY, but beware of NJ as well, if one has to stop in that state. They used to have, and I assume still do, severe penalties if one has hollow point rounds. Something like $1,000 per round is the fine.

To be honest, an arrest for a firearm violation on a boat would be a great Constitutional test case, but I don't want to be a part of the test case. :socool::rofl: I will donate money to the test case person's Go Fund Me page for legal costs. :D

Later,
Dan

Who sells in Stainless? The mossberg mariner is not.

Nobody that I’ve ever heard of makes a stainless ‘ barreled ‘ shotgun. Receivers yes but not barrels. The Mossberg 500 ‘s are, I believe, electroless nickel plated and they hold up on boats very very well. Stupid simple rugged inexpensive shotguns.

Stainless/nickel plated is not the only corrosion resistant material in use, there are the various "Parkerized" methods.

Later,
Dan

Nobody that I’ve ever heard of makes a stainless ‘ barreled ‘ shotgun. Receivers yes but not barrels. The Mossberg 500 ‘s are, I believe, electroless nickel plated and they hold up on boats very very well. Stupid simple rugged inexpensive shotguns.

Stainless/nickel plated is not the only corrosion resistant material in use, there are the various "Parkerized" methods.

The Mossberg 590 Mariner uses 'Marinecote' which is a baked on finish similar to 'Parkerizing', however Mossberg claims it is more resistant to corrosion.

I'd be concerned a stainless steel barrel might be too hard, and thus more brittle than the a typical barrel steel with a hardness somewhere around 25 - 32 on the Rockwell scale.

It's too bad innocent folks end up in jail trying to reasonably have the power to defend themselves, and the criminals go scott free.

Any person should have the right of personal defense... anywhere, it's the federal law. Too bad places like NY and NJ and Canada don't understand this. No wonder the crime is high there.

But... there are many choices for defense that will work without offending the jerks, and worthy of an option. However, if needed, it would be a shame not to have ones guns not only with them, but loaded, ready to go.

It's a right. (But jerks have turned it into a bad thing)

The Mossberg 590 Mariner uses 'Marinecote' which is a baked on finish similar to 'Parkerizing', however Mossberg claims it is more resistant to corrosion.

I'd be concerned a stainless steel barrel might be too hard, and thus more brittle than the a typical barrel steel with a hardness somewhere around 25 - 32 on the Rockwell scale.

You’re absolutely correct it’s a baked finish. I confused the Mossberg with my Rem 870 Mariner which is electroless nickel. I digres but I was well North of Nain, Labrador years ago and surprised to see quite a few Inuit with Mossberg Mariners and slug barrels. Emergency white bear medicine I’m told.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "No wonder the crime is high there." Right. We're just a hotbed of criminals...

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

giphy.gif

Never transport a gun/rifle/hand gun you are not prepared to surrender a law enforcement officer.

If you keep your firearm inside dry, heated and or A/C, everything will be fine.

It's too bad innocent folks end up in jail trying to reasonably have the power to defend themselves, and the criminals go scott free.

Any person should have the right of personal defense... anywhere, it's the federal law. Too bad places like NY and NJ and Canada don't understand this. No wonder the crime is high there.

But... there are many choices for defense that will work without offending the jerks, and worthy of an option. However, if needed, it would be a shame not to have ones guns not only with them, but loaded, ready to go.

It's a right. (But jerks have turned it into a bad thing)

"Too bad places like NY and NJ and Canada don't understand this. No wonder the crime is high there."

We have places in both NY and Florida - the violent crime rate is higher in Florida. Here is a comparison between NY and Tampa as one example only...
https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=51271000&city2=53651000

Remington and Winchester both make stainless "marine" shotguns. A simple google search will show them. A quality high corrosion resistance finish would work well too. A marine oriented shotgun is what I am intending to recommend. Law enforcement seems to take a different level of concern with shotguns versus handguns. Make the shotgun look like a hunting gun and not a military or riot gun. My 2 cents.

Who sells in Stainless? The mossberg mariner is not.

Not sure what the law is in Wisconsin, but if you are approached by law enforcement in Michigan and the first words out of your mouth are not revealing that you are carrying a concealed weapon, you might be headed to jail. You "must" inform law enforcement of your concealed weapon immediately upon your interaction with them. Laws are different in every state. My boat will have a shotgun when I leave the state.

I go with the "Don't ask, Don't tell" philosophy. I am licensed to carry (concealed). My protection is handy but hidden. Anyone doing a simple inspection of my boat would not know it is on board. If I was asked if I have weapons on board I would respond yes, flare guns, knives, clubs.

Totally different story cruising Canada.

pete

"Too bad places like NY and NJ and Canada don't understand this. No wonder the crime is high there."

We have places in both NY and Florida - the violent crime rate is higher in Florida. Here is a comparison between NY and Tampa as one example only...
https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=51271000&city2=53651000

I'm not calling out this particular post. It is simply the most recent post leaning towards politics and guns rights.

This is your official shot across the bow.

If this thread digresses into politics and guns rights it will get closed. Keep on the scope of the thread, which is safety and legality.

Remington and Winchester both make stainless "marine" shotguns. A simple google search will show them. A quality high corrosion resistance finish would work well too. A marine oriented shotgun is what I am intending to recommend. Law enforcement seems to take a different level of concern with shotguns versus handguns. Make the shotgun look like a hunting gun and not a military or riot gun. My 2 cents.

Not sure where you’re getting your info but let me repeat, there are no stainless barreled shotguns currently available. Mossberg is Marinecote, Remington is electroless nickel and Winchester’s marine offering is chrome plated. Just cause they are silver or shiny does mean they are SS.

Remington and Winchester both make stainless "marine" shotguns.

If I do a search I get many, many hits as well. However dig into them. Better yet, go to the manufacturers sites.

Remington is using Cerakote

Winchester is using Permacote

Mossberg uses Marinecote

These are all basically the same thing with different brand names. I would very much like to see a stainless steel barrel published in the specs.

I've heard of them being to toyed with, but it is a low grade SS (e.g. 314 or even lower). Most stainless will be very hard and, as a result very brittle. It is strong, but is less likely to flex and more likely to 'ka-blam'.

I wouldn't want a stainless barrel.

I'm not calling out this particular post. It is simply the most recent post leaning towards politics and guns rights.

This is your official shot across the bow.

If this thread digresses into politics and guns rights it will get closed. Keep on the scope of the thread, which is safety and legality.

I completely agree on no politics-
But this post was about data only not politics. It is a post and link on how to find out what the actual crime statistics are for any location that you may be interested in cruising or living.

If I do a search I get many, many hits as well. However dig into them. Better yet, go to the manufacturers sites.

Remington is using Cerakote

Winchester is using Permacote

Mossberg uses Marinecote

These are all basically the same thing with different brand names. I would very much like to see a stainless steel barrel published in the specs.

I've heard of them being to toyed with, but it is a low grade SS (e.g. 314 or even lower). Most stainless will be very hard and, as a result very brittle. It is strong, but is less likely to flex and more likely to 'ka-blam'.

I wouldn't want a stainless barrel.

I should let this go but accuracy is important. Forget the advertising names for coatings as they mean nothing.

Mossberg uses a baked on product called Marinecote
Wichester uses a mat hard chrome treatment, Permacote ?
Remington uses electroless nickel

Dig a little deeper and specify ‘ marine shotguns ‘

Its was a 2 1/2" pocket knife with a clip. So they could see the to of it.

New York City law prohibits carrying a knife that can be seen in public, including wearing a knife outside of your clothing. ... New York City also prohibits the possession in public of a knife with a blade that is 4 or more inches regardless of whether any part of the knife, including the blade, is visible or concealed.

There are just too many of them there.

By far MOST of New York has a very low population density, and as a boater you are subjected to even fewer people than in many other states in NY.

The average United States population density is approximately 92.9 residents per square mile of land area. The county I live in NY is 53 people per square mile. Compare that to many places heralded by boaters. Most of Upstate NY has a population density UNDER the national average.

Rich... compared to where!

"In 2018, the population density of Florida stood at 397.2 residents per square mile of land area."

Thats roughly 4X NY

Plenty of self defense damage can be done to an intruder with various Flare guns... Vary pistols or other flare devices can wreak havoc.. Yacht intruders and self defense are close range situations.... Get through any customs or marine inspection... Maybe not ideal..but your still armed..legally

Rich... compared to where!

"In 2018, the population density of Florida stood at 397.2 residents per square mile of land area."

Thats roughly 4X NY

Not sure where you got you figures from, but they are not right at all for NY state where it is 428 last year, and 400 for FL. My touristy county is 126, but the next county over is just 20, and I like living in my unincorporated area between the two where my true stainless steel S&W .44 magnum hand cannon served as my gator gun a couple days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom