Crossing U.S. and Canadian Border PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pent up demand for WA boaters to head north into the BC Inside Passage is huge. When Canada opens up the border again, there will be an avalanche of boats overwhelming the border crossing points. Marinas offering temporary slips will be booked solid. Canadian cruisers should go now while the marinas and anchorages are empty. American cruisers dying to get to SE Alaska should take a good look at the "Transit Only" option. It may just be a window of opportunity before the Inside Passage becomes the Inside Clog.

Oh no, don't tell me-dogs and cats living together? Whatever will become of us...

Seems like a pretty big ocean, and Chicken Little can probably relax.

Pete

Johnstone Strait, Cape Caution, Dixon Entrance, tight weather windows, dreadful currents, unsound vessels and the inability for many to anchor correctly scare away all but the capable. Rumor has it Waggoner just canceled the flotilla. The clog will likely be a trickle for quite some time.
I would agree that "all but the capable" should avoid most of these areas. However, most boaters can become "capable", but it does require some effort to learn, some effort to get your boat "ready", etc.
The various rapids, Johnstone Strait, and heading north of Cape Caution are not areas (or things) to take lightly, but are definitely within the "possible" for most boaters with the correct preparations.:D
For example, be prepared to anchor in as much as 100 feet of water with a 20 foot tide swing in many anchorages and the need to be very independent when "north of Caution". :eek::dance:

Ah, the advantage of the east coast and the well defined ICW. With proper paper updated charts and proper electronic charts, there is so much to see and places to visit. SMILE

Yes, there may be shoaling in the ICW but, if you go slow, (a 'given' for a trawler) watching the depth readout, you should be fine.

If you want speed, sure go outside but, plan ahead incase with weather turns sour.
If you find a need to travel at night, 'outside' is your option. Based upon my experience, night time 'outside' is a wonderful experience 2 or 3 miles from shore. You will see more stars that one might think existed. All you hear is the drone of your engine.

Last edited:
...For example, be prepared to anchor in as much as 100 feet of water with a 20 foot tide swing in many anchorages and the need to be very independent when "north of Caution". :eek::dance:

Cape Caution does keep out the riff raff :D

We still haven't gotten our long planned for 700' rode, so have done some 'artful' anchoring on 50 degree estuary slopes with a 330' rode.

WINK, couple of bowlines in your dock lines and presto, longer anchor line or anchor line for the stern anchor.
Yea, yea, I know there is a better knot but, I would have to look it up in the book.

Well, we do have the 300' spare anchor rode + 600' of poly line for stern tying to cobble together with the original 330' so theoretically we could anchor in over 100'...but the wind had better not pick up :eek:

Last edited:
I would agree that "all but the capable" should avoid most of these areas. However, most boaters can become "capable", but it does require some effort to learn, some effort to get your boat "ready", etc.
The various rapids, Johnstone Strait, and heading north of Cape Caution are not areas (or things) to take lightly, but are definitely within the "possible" for most boaters with the correct preparations.:D
For example, be prepared to anchor in as much as 100 feet of water with a 20 foot tide swing in many anchorages and the need to be very independent when "north of Caution". :eek::dance:

Do you really need to anchor in 80 feet of water? You're missing a lot of really nice places, don't ask me where!

Mystic Moon and Wild Blue arrived in Ketchikan today. Crossed a near flat Dixon Entrance from Dundas Island, BC. Departed Washington April 26 arriving on schedule May 4 with one no-travel weather day.

Sorry, no sign of the emaciated grey whale.

US entry was accomplished using the US CBP app with the information submitted about 10 miles before arriving in Ketchikan. Clearance occurred within 10 minutes.

Ketchikan is quiet. The IGA market closed after a landslide. A&P and Safeway open and operating. The Crowley independent diesel dock is closed permanently. Petro Marine has one fuel dock open and second to open in the next couple months, per the attendant.

Seems like most of the restaurants are still operating and there are still choices for dining out. Pacific Pride and Tongass Trading marine stores are open.

Have a great transit.

Alex

I see that ASD cleared in Sidney and is heading up Trincomali Channel now.

Heading north from Blaine, WA to AK in June

From Semiahmoo marina in Blaine, we have a short 3 mile run to the Canadian gov't dock in White Rock. With our papers in order, "arriveCAN" etc., we are hoping for an easy "Innocent Passage" crossing to AK. Are we still under all the normal entry restrictions when it comes to vegetables, fruit, and alcohol? Limit 2 bottles of wine? That's a stretch until we hit Ketchikan!

tomfive. do post follow up. The provision part I thought was if you were entering and planning to stay a while. As in anchor or dock, not the transit.

Canadians are paranoid about guns, particularly handguns.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. Ever been to Canada. Do you know where Canada is?

Yes, I know where Canada is. Duh!! First question asked crossing the border was "do you have any guns?" They confiscated two apples.

Canadians are paranoid about guns, particularly handguns.

For the record, all of my cousins in Canada own guns. Asking what foreigners are bringing into their country doesn’t make them paranoid; it makes them responsible. Also, a country that recorded 0.52 gun homicides per 100,000 people (in 2018) doesn’t need a lecture from someone living where the rate was 4.46.

Yes, I know where Canada is. Duh!! First question asked crossing the border was "do you have any guns?" They confiscated two apples.
Is it so hard to follow a country’s rules....no guns, no fruit....pretty simple or stay in your own country.
It’s funny how you don’t hear any Canadians trying to re write 100 years of govern for us to cross your border to boat and bring restricted items. Not saying we are the smartest, but do know for sure we respect your border laws and are staying on our side of the fence...

What's with the hostility? Never brought a gun into Canada, and don't contemplate it in the future.

For the record, all of my cousins in Canada own guns. Asking what foreigners are bringing into their country doesn’t make them paranoid; it makes them responsible. Also, a country that recorded 0.52 gun homicides per 100,000 people (in 2018) doesn’t need a lecture from someone living where the rate was 4.46.

So, am I mistaken that the common Canadian citizen isn't permitted to have a pistol/revolver in their domicile?

Greetings,
Mr. mp. By your own admission you attempted to circumvent the Canadian import restrictions on bringing fruit into the country. Duh! We don't look upon lawbreakers in a kindly fashion. Hence the "hostility".

Edit: "... the common Canadian citizen isn't permitted to have a pistol/revolver in their domicile? " NOT for home or personal defense they aren't AFAIK. No reason to have one and Canadian citizens are not common.

Last edited:
This thread is about having a Covid test prior to entering Canada. It should not have gun posts since they do not relate to Covid tests. Please keep the thread on topic or it may risk being closed. And please keep it civil, no personal attacks!

Where’s Alaska Sea Duction ? We met up in Reid Harbor Stewart Island but I don’t see any new posts and he just left yesterday for Alaska. Anyone know why he’s not posting ? ? ?

Where’s Alaska Sea Duction ? We met up in Reid Harbor Stewart Island but I don’t see any new posts and he just left yesterday for Alaska. Anyone know why he’s not posting ? ? ?
Busy "Scraping Paint"?

AIS shows him anchored for the night at Newcastle Island (Nanaimo) with several other US flags.

Crusty said ASD's in TF jail, don't know why. Too bad because I wanted to thank him for helping my friends bring their new to them Ocean Alexander across the Columbia bar and up the coast to Puget Sound.

ASD is moving along past Lasqueti at 8.6 knots and Canadian warship 334 is on intercept course at 16.2 knots.

Meanwhile, covid be dammed as Schumer demands the border be opened for non essential traffic since 50% of New York is vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom