Comodave update 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
Well, since the first thread got closed somehow, I will start a new a new one.

Where to start, I was very frustrated as a moderator and I mistook that frustration as both being a moderator and participating in the forum. I was wrong and for that I apologize to the members of the forum. I resigned as a moderator and have decided that I will participate as a member of the forum, if you will have me back…. Hopefully I still have something to contribute to the forum.

I would like to thank all the members that posted some very nice comments on the first thread. I sincerely do appreciate it.

Last edited:

Where to start, I was bery frustrated as a moderator and I mistook that frustration as both being a moderator and participating in the forum. I was wrong and for that I apologize to the members of the forum. I resigned as a moderator and have decided that I will participate as a member of the forum, if you will have me back…. Hopefully I still have something to contribute to the forum.

I would like to thank all the members that posted some very nice comments on the first thread. I sincerely do appreciate it.

Yayyy...Daves back :thumb:

I guess I missed the frustration part. But in my view you have always been a consistent and even keeled moderator. I could always count on you for some insight or an alternate viewpoint based on your broad experience.

I am just very glad its not something more serious. Welcome back !!

Damn, now we have to cancel the Dave is Gone party!
Just kidding! I always value your input to the forum. Glad you’re staying.

Dave welcome to the club

Moderator Emeritus

You did the right thing. When you have had your fill, become a regular member again, and enjoy the forum.

Welcome!!

Tell us a little about yourself and your boating experience - LOL!:D:D:D:D

Glad you are staying - always solid contributions!

Nick

I didn't say what has been attributed to me in the other thread. :hide::rolleyes:

Glad you are going to stick around.

Ted

Where to start, I was very frustrated as a moderator and I mistook that frustration as both being a moderator and participating in the forum. I was wrong and for that I apologize to the members of the forum. I resigned as a moderator and have decided that I will participate as a member of the forum, if you will have me back…. Hopefully I still have something to contribute to the forum.

Dave - I had a similar experience as moderator of the Willard Boat Owners, a group I moderated for 20 years. My frustration arose a few years ago when I opened a new sub-thread to discuss my refit. One of the members took me to task for not having the work done in the US. I finally decided I was tired of restraining myself for the good of the group. While I'm still the main moderator, I now have a co-moderator and am much less active. It's when I found TF and obviously have become quite active here. Quite liberating to be an average schmoe instead of a moderator. Yes, I make regrettable posts from time to time on TF. But nice to be a contributor vs a moderator.

That's my story. A few jerks in the field can really spoil the apple cart. And I don't blame you at all for relinquishing your moderator duties and becoming just am average contributor.

Dave, I am really hopeful you will rediscover your place on TF. Seriously, there are only a few contributors on TF that I consider a Gold Standard of knowledge. I have found many of your posts extremely helpful, and I appreciate your willingness to share. I have no idea how you accumulated your knowledge, and frankly I'm a difficult person to BS so I am pretty sure you're the real deal. As mentioned on the other thread, I've posted a few 911 help-me posts and you've been spot on and very quick to respond. You have no idea how much that means to me and I'm sure the dozens/hundreds of others in similar sorts.

Welcome back. I feel like I've found the lost heirloom I thought was gone forever.

Peter

Good to have you back! I've never tried being a moderator; doubt I have the constitution for it. Very glad you've decided to return - those of us with less experience very much appreciate it.

Dave I suspected as much and almost posted so, but thought best to leave it alone.

I have considered you one of the forum assets.
Glad that your experience will continue to be shared here.

I'm glad you are back with us, Dave.

I guess everyone should take a stint as an officer or moderator of a group, although it is seldom pleasant.

pete

Im just glad your health is ok. I always seem to go to the dark side when i hear someones making a big change. I would be interested in what kind of flack does one get when there trying to be a moderator but have folks that are basically feeling anonymous sending them personal messages. I am just guessing that stuff happens but am not sure?

I will not discuss moderation so please don’t ask. But I appreciate the welcoming messages.

Welcome back Dave. Discussion of moderation is forbidden as we all know, so maybe the other thread was heading too far down that path. Regardless, glad you could put that behind you and are back with us.

Glad you changed your mind about being a member, Dave!

Welcome back, we really would have missed you. Now about that gold watch we gave to you…….

Just a quick add to the list of your admirers. Glad to see you will be sticking around.

One of the many annoying things about death is that one cannot (as far as we know, anyway) attend one's own funeral and hear all the nice things folks say after we are gone. Now it seems Dave has engineered a workaround for that. Well played!

Glad that you are still among us, Dave.

Dave, I completely understand, and I too quit this forum for a couple of years. My displayed join date is actually several years after I first joined because I cancelled my membership altogether. I truly believe the membership here tends to be self-cleaning in that the most obnoxious posters tend to be ignored and soon go away leaving the gold in the bottom of the pan as it were. I eventually rejoined because this is the best place to be to learn what I want to know and hopefully pass on a few gems from my own experiences. Most pleased to see your fund on knowledge remains with us.

Excellent. Welcome back. Just hope your replacement has your temperament and wisdom.

Hey Dave, I'm new to this forum, but have participated in other forums.

These virtual communities can be consuming. It's definitely a different way to communicate than our every day communication. Even fast typers, type slower than we talk. We don't sit and think about what someone said for seconds, minutes, hours, days before responding....its intense at times.

It's healthy to take 100% breaks.

I, too, am glad your health is OK. The nature of your announcement reminded me of an email I received not long ago from an investor who called to let me know that his accountant would be handling his affairs going forward (about six months earlier he had put his interests into his family trust, which didn't concern me in the least). He went on to explain that he had advanced lung cancer, there was no hope and the doctors had told him that it was only a matter of days, or perhaps weeks, but certainly not months. He died 10 days later. I am really glad to hear that your reason for stepping away was not similar.

As for the job of moderator, it seems to me to be a thankless task, perhaps best done anonymously (ie, if I were a moderator, I wouldn't use my moderator account to post anything not moderator related, and similarly with my personal account).

I am another who is glad you decided to resume membership as JUST a member who will still be valued.

Dave,
Great News!! From the little I know about you (and the job of Moderator), it appears you made the "right" decision!!! Certainly for all of us here who have and will now continue to benefit from your responses :).
If this is appropriate to this situation: WELCOME BACK!

Glad to see you are staying. Cheers Buddy!

Back
Top Bottom