Boats you would buy again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about if I "highjack" this thread and turn it around a little?

What boat would you NEVER buy again?

I'll answer my own question: I'll never own another inflatable dinghy ( they should be considered to be "throw away boats") and I'll never again own a two man canoe. (Way too much work)

pete

j

i have never heard this expression before. what does it mean?
just curious

FYI.. i am 77years old, speak English and was born in New Jersey.. graduated from high school, etc.

I've always thought it was a common term. Anyway, it basically means you are given a task with not enough information to achieve it.

For example; someone asks you to bring them a rock. You look for one and bring a nice one back and show them, then they say "no, bring me another one, this one is no good". The requester doesn't give you any description of the rock they have in mind so how can you possibly succeed in the task?

For the sake of this thread, the OP asked for people to list off boats they would buy again. Most of us have owned all sorts of boats over the years, sailboats, ski boats, skiffs, john boats, etc. How can any meaningful information be gained from the OP when they don't list what sort of boat they're looking for?

So, what did we get in terms of responses? Half of the responses listed a $300 foam sailboat (including me).

This forum gets these sorts of questions all the time. "I'm looking to buy a boat, what should I get?" That's a "get me a rock question". There is so much experience owning trawler-type boats on this site, why not be more specific about what you are looking for?

I'll answer my own question: I'll never own another inflatable dinghy ( they should be considered to be "throw away boats") and I'll never again own a two man canoe. (Way too much work)

pete

Your comment rings my chimes. I have a hard dingy. The inflatables I've had never stay inflated. Probably my fault since lots of people like RIBs and such. They also don't do well with fish hooks, gaff hocks and knives. I'll stick with the hard ones.

We had a Boston Whaler Newport 17 back in the 70s. Always regretted letting that be sold. Sure wish I had it now. Such is life, eh?

pete
Pete, I get your point, but I will contimue to prefer inflatables with hard bottom over hard sided dingy. Built in fenders. extra seating on pontoon.

I can accept the purchase price where the dingy will amortise over 5 years at a cost $300 per year. Rinse and repeat.

I'm happy with a high quality RIB. Down here you have to get a sponson covers fitted from day one given our extreme UV levels. Then they last pretty well.

But this summer the carbon OC Tenders were everywhere. They are made down here so some local product following no doubt, but at US13k for the smallest (delivered US), that's an expensive option.
They must be really good.

Ceux que nous racheterions

Le Doggerbank
Et bien sûr reconstruire u. Long-cours 62...but i 2014 my wife said : we are too old to built an another boat...and 10 year later sure now she id right :blush:

Attachments

• chrome_screenshot_1705850567011.jpg
    chrome_screenshot_1705850567011.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
As wrote aboie

Of course rebuilt one Long-Cours 62

Attachments

• chrome_screenshot_1705850903077.jpg
    chrome_screenshot_1705850903077.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 8
My point again is that different boats serve different purposes at different points in your lives. One may have been perfect at that time and was the right purchase, but it wouldn't serve you well today.

Regarding to inflatables, RIBs and canoes. I like all of them and all of them are horrible at times. One thing I believe in is not spending a lot of money for inflatables since they have shorter life spans than a good FG or AL dinghy. My wife and I are going through the kayak versus canoe debate right now, so I told her we'll buy one of each. These are all cheap toys on OfferUp or Marketplace.

My point again is that different boats serve different purposes at different points in your lives. One may have been perfect at that time and was the right purchase, but it wouldn't serve you well today.

Regarding to inflatables, RIBs and canoes. I like all of them and all of them are horrible at times. One thing I believe in is not spending a lot of money for inflatables since they have shorter life spans than a good FG or AL dinghy. My wife and I are going through the kayak versus canoe debate right now, so I told her we'll buy one of each. These are all cheap toys on OfferUp or Marketplace.

We did both, the family prefers the kayaks and I got a solo canoe for myself. I can haul a bit more weight and the bulky items - cooler, tackle box, firewood.

@Charlie, definitely canoes are better for hauling cargo and camping gear. But for me, not being very flexible, I get very uncomfortable in kayaks after extended time. I like sitting upright in a canoe. However I do dislike the single paddle.

I’ve had a lot of boats. The two I would buy again; Nordhavn 46 with flybridge and Hobie 16. Not necessarily in that order:)!

I'd definitely buy a Nordic Tug again.

I can list a whole lot of boats I wouldn't buy... but I won't.

Owned quite a few boats over the last 40 yrs but one stands out. For 11 yrs I owned an Offshore 54 and it was amazing! I travelled between Alaska and Central America putting on almost 3000 hours. In that time I was never shut down for any reason. While there were repairs needed on occasion they were all done with minimal outside help as the boat is designed to make repairs easy.
I crossed the Gulf of Alaska 3 times in some terrible conditions and fished the REVILLAGIGEDO ISLANDS twice before it was made a marine park. I have never felt as confident with any boat. When I sold it during Covid I got almost what I paid for it. Can’t imagine a better boat for my needs. My current catamaran is a nice boat but it isn’t for anyone who doesn’t know how to use their tools.

Offshores are great vessels. It would be a tough decision to pick a Fleming over an OF especially with the F55s poor ER and higher price. Offshore is still going strong with smart and active owner's group.

I would buy my SeaRay 390 again: lots of room, decent handling, built well, goes fast and slow.

It`s been a long time since I have been on the TF site, I had to re register. this thread caught my attention because I often make the comment that I wish I still had our 81 42 foot Labelle trawler. It came along at the wrong time in my life. I was still working 45-55 hours a week, and the boat needed some attention that demanded too much of my time. Now, being retired, I have the time, and some extra boat bucks. ( Not many, but maybe enough). The boat had plenty of room, rode the water well, comfortable, and nice lines. Only thing I didnt like,,, all the teak decks..

Boats I would buy again

An Hatteras LRC can be purchased today in the 70 to 100kUSD probably. The way they are built, the quality of construction with the best stainless steal, fiberglass, the design of the naval architecte, no wood outside... I still don't see any other trawler so well built and thought.

Yes the Nordhavn maybe but we are coming to something more specific, and much more expensive... with a very different design also !

All parts have been chosen on purpose, are accessible and when you have to change one of the, just follow the manuals or join the LRC Owner's club. They are a bible. They all love and know everything about their boat.

And of course, you can have parts in the US specifically in FLL Florida even if your boat is older than 1980.

This boat built as is today would probably be int the 800kUSD. AND for me the layout of the Mark 1 is the best with an aft lazarette and a full walk around sea worthy main deck layout. I have one in Europe. I looked for years at the best trawler given my budget, strong and well built. You only have 2 cabins... just to feel confortable during long cruises.

I could talk for hours. Any question, do not hesitate. They have DD engines. If this is an issue. I know the solution, I am on it but I think everybody in the US is in love with the DDs.

I know one for sale in the US. I was interested. Too far for me but you can check. I talked to the owner and if the boat in its concept is good for you (great loop boat) do not hesitate. It's called Mischief.

Good luck and let us know !

I think I already did. Replaced an IG36 owned for 10 years with an Integrity 386, a direct but vastly improved descendant based on the same moulds. The extra 2ft 6" (36>386)comes from incorporating the swimstep into the hull, the revamp of the interior and the handling were big improvements. The boat retains walkway space between the twins, plus reasonable ER space generally, outboard space actually increased.

All of them. 45 to 50 boats. I was a boat dealer at one time and liked all boats.

Would again

Anything built by Rozema boat works again wish I could afford one set up for fun! but lucky enough to have worked them. With so many folks buying Turkish delights like the Bering I expect the sheet boats made in the americas might see an uptick in orders.

Also a Jan Nielsen pocket when I’m older and tied to the house….

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/1980-vashon-23%92-double-ender-70481.html

Attachments

• EA11EA15-BFF7-474E-A9A6-D89D11B15C0F.jpeg
    EA11EA15-BFF7-474E-A9A6-D89D11B15C0F.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 58AC2722-47E2-4A19-A6FA-286687FF94BF.jpeg
    58AC2722-47E2-4A19-A6FA-286687FF94BF.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
When we had a summer place in Seldovia, AK, one of the neighbors had a 32 foot aluminum bowpicker nicely repurposed to a yacht. Had a forward cuddy suitable for the kids. I'm too old to start over, but if I could find such a thing and moor it in Cordova, my summers would be made!

Last edited:
There some around overpowered and needing some welding good idea problem I have with those old aluminum trawler builds is commercial fisherman owned them before. Lol if they can melt it, burn it. Pass current through it, and generally deprive anything g of maintenance.

it`s been a long time since i have been on the tf site, i had to re register. This thread caught my attention because i often make the comment that i wish i still had our 81 42 foot labelle trawler. It came along at the wrong time in my life. I was still working 45-55 hours a week, and the boat needed some attention that demanded too much of my time. Now, being retired, i have the time, and some extra boat bucks. ( not many, but maybe enough). The boat had plenty of room, rode the water well, comfortable, and nice lines. Only thing i didnt like,,, all the teak decks..

IMG_Labelle trawler.jpg

So shall I.

We started building our boat 31 years ago, we have been sailing it for 28 years now and have more than 12000 engine hours further.
If I were faced with the choice again, yes I would build this boat again, a single small detail I would do differently.

FlJRGXQ.jpeg

Greeting;

Pascal.

Back
Top Bottom