Attaching sanitation hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constellation1

Vessel Name
Constellation
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I am installing a new vent hose on my holding tank. Besides hose clamps, is there a recommended putty or product to use to help seal around the outlet?

If you mean the seal between the fitting and the hull then yes. I would use butyl or Sikaflex 291.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. Both sides - the fitting on the tank and the fitting on the thru hull - sounds like I can use the same product. Thank you!

If you mean the seal between the fitting and the hull then yes. I would use butyl or Sikaflex 291.

Den, just to be clear, between the hose and the fittings you do not need any sealant. Hose clamp is enough.

Between the tank fitting and the tank I would think a rubber gasket would be better than sealant.

NO sealant on hose connections to tank fittings. All sanitation hose connections and any others connected to below waterline fittings should be double clamped, with screws 180 degrees apart...or at least 90 degrees if access makes 180 impossible.

"Between the tank fitting and the tank I would think a rubber gasket would be better than sealant.
Tank fittings should be threaded into the tank...the threads wrapped in plenty of Teflon tape. No other sealant or gasket needed.

Btw, warming hoses (WARMING, not heating!) makes it a lot easier to remove from fittings and also to put onto fittings. Lubricate with a little dishwashing liquid (Dawn etc) or better yet, K-Y jelly which is a water soluble surgical jelly that dries out so doesn't leave you with a permanently slippery connection.

--Peggie

Last edited:
NO sealant on hose connections to tank fittings. All sanitation hose connections and any others connected to below waterline fittings should be double clamped, with screws 180 degrees apart...or at least 90 degrees if access makes 180 impossible.

Tank fittings should be threaded into the tank...the threads wrapped in plenty of Teflon tape. No other sealant or gasket needed.

Btw, warming hoses (WARMING, not heating!) makes it a lot easier to remove from fittings and also to put onto fittings. Lubricate with a little dishwashing liquid (Dawn etc) or better yet, K-Y jelly which is a water soluble surgical jelly that dries out so doesn't leave you with a permanently slippery connection.

--Peggie

We all need her book, I'm telling ya!:)

By the way, when removing the old hoses, muscle them off. Do not cut hose as to scare the fittings.

I sometimes cut the hose but not all the way through. Then the hose will stretch a bit at the cut and help it come off easier. But do not cut all the way through and score the barb fitting.

A little Heat gun will bring most hoses off easy

heat and a Rad hose hook - $5 online and allows you to gradually expand the hose without damaging the hose barb

heat and a Rad hose hook - $5 online and allows you to gradually expand the hose without damaging the hose barb

+1 on the hose hook. It made an impossible job, in difficult locations, possible, replacing two heads and all the plumbing on my last boat.
~A

--Peggie

Peggie mentioned "WARMING" the hose at the fittings. I can confirm that it works in both directions...ON and OFF.

The key here is WARMING. There's a thin line between warming and hose deformation. :facepalm: :D

A cup of hot water is an easy way to warm a hose end to ease installation.
I use Rector Seal #5 (from Lowe’s) to lubricate the barb fitting, it doesn’t really dry, but puts a sticky coating on the mating parts that inhibits leaks.
I know it’s looking for trouble to contradict Peggy, but Teflon tape is despicable stuff, bound to eventually show up in undesired places. I much prefer to use a Teflon paste product on threaded fittings, or the forementioned Rector Seal works well too.

A cup of hot water is an easy way to warm a hose end to ease installation.

Kinda hard to use on a hose you need to remove. I always used a blow dryer...kept a small fold-up travel dryer in my tool box.

As for Teflon tape, I've never had a problem with it...even use it on the connections in my birdbath pump. But it's your boat, so whatever floats it for you is fine with me as long as it's not something you'll regret using (5200 comes to mind) when it's necessary to remove a hose.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom