ArriveCAN and Nexus in 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sledge

Vessel Make
American Tug 41
I searched this topic but only found a lot of older tangential discussions of vaccine reporting, which is no longer such a concern.
I’ve also reviewed the CBSA sites and still there is some confusion about how these two things relate. I’ll likely call them during business hours but in the meantime I’m wondering if others have experience with this.
We have active Nexus cards and I also have the ArriveCAN app. The CbSA Nexus site just says call the Nexus 800 number to report in. I haven’t yet found a correlation between this and using the ArriveCAN app.
I’m hoping to use the app because of the obvious convenience that all the numbers and memberships are already dialed in. Note that when I look at the Travelers tab in my app, it shows both of us as “NEXUS Proximity Card Registered”. Has anyone used the app to enter Canada and also has active Nexus and knows how this works?

ArriveCan is no longer used for boat arrivals. It's back to the old drill of presenting yourself at a checkin dock and calling in.

That said, I think someone here said that if everyone on board has NEXUS then you can call from the boat when you enter Canada and they might clear you in over the phone, or they might direct you to a customs dock where you wait a prescribed amount of time for an officer and if one does not show up, then you can leave. I have always just gone to one of the docks even though we both have NEXUS.

This past summer we entered Canada at Kingston and called with our Nexus info. We were told to enter the marina and wait five minutes for an officer. We were told that we could proceed ashore if no officer showed up within the five minute time frame. I do not think that someone could walk out the marina floats to our boat within five.

This past summer we entered Canada at Kingston and called with our Nexus info. We were told to enter the marina and wait five minutes for an officer. We were told that we could proceed ashore if no officer showed up within the five minute time frame. I do not think that someone could walk out the marina floats to our boat within five.

That's pretty typical at other locations too. But every now and then you will get the full search.

As mentioned we are back to pre-Covid rules. Nexus allows the use of many special entry points. You must head either to a customs dock or one of the many NEXUS entry points. At 30 minutes or greater from your arrival you can call and clear.

Some additional info I have picked up from Customs officials. All calls are routed to a center in eastern Canada. Many of these are new hires post Covid and not properly educated on the rules so don’t be surprised if you get contradictory information from normal. If Customs is interested in you they wont send someone walking down the dock. They will have a lot of someone’s and they will be on a boat.

One thing I have never gotten a clear answer on. They will ask you what your final destination is. However, no time reference is defined. Is it my final destination for the day, hour, minute? At what point am I free to leave the area and continue my journey. I have always assumed that once my 10 minutes are up I am free to head to a new destination.

Last edited:
What are the "special NEXUS entry points"? That sounds like something that might be useful to me.

Last year, we were making our way south and was told on the phone to report to Cow Bay, Prince Rupert and do the Customs huddle. No one showed up.

The next day 2 Customs Officers were walking the dock. I asked this question:

Once I am issued a Canadian Custom clearance number is it necessary to report to a customs dock?

Customs officers: As long as everyone on board has a NEXUS card there is no need to report to a Customs dock once you are issued a clearance number.

Last year, we were making our way south and was told on the phone to report to Cow Bay, Prince Rupert and do the Customs huddle. No one showed up.

The next day 2 Customs Officers were walking the dock. I asked this question:

Once I am issued a Canadian Custom clearance number is it necessary to report to a customs dock?

Customs officers: As long as everyone on board has a NEXUS card there is no need to report to a Customs dock once you are issued a clearance number.

Thanks much for this info, this is the kind of thing you'd hope a NEXUS card might afford a boater. Its unfortunate these details are hard to nail down; might even get a different story depending on who you get on the phone.
FYI: we're currently in the NE area so we're more focused on entry points in the St Lawrence seaway, probably Gananoque or Kingston, Ontario.
Yeah we've done the whole park at a dock, pick up the 20th century Maxwell Smart phone ;) ... but wouldn't it be nice if you check in from your boat and then you're all done! We shall see.....

I pick a Canadian port that does not have a customs phone but is NEXUS approved. I call and report my intended arrival 40 minutes before my arrival. Customs gives me a clearance and says look for the officer, if no office after 10 minutes you are free to go. I do a slow pass by the dock, hover until my 10 minutes are up and then proceed on my way. Have never seen a customs officer but I always show up and wait my time.

Entering The US is easy. Use the app, get a clearance. As NEXUS I have never had them call or redirect, always just get a clearance with in 10 min of submission.

Hey since we're on the topic, including Re-entry to the USA: its been a long time since i did this. Am I reading correctly that we will need some kind of DTOPS Decal to Re-enter the USA? We're only planning to re-enter once this year so I likely don't need a full seasonal.....

If you are over 30’ you won’t get cleared with out a DTOPs decal purchase transaction number or actual decal number. You will get directed to a staffed customs dock were you will be able to buy the decal. You can buy it on line so if you have Starlink or cell service no big deal.

Decals cover the whole year but are not pro rated and it’s the same for one crossing or 100.

Hey since we're on the topic, including Re-entry to the USA: its been a long time since i did this. Am I reading correctly that we will need some kind of DTOPS Decal to Re-enter the USA? We're only planning to re-enter once this year so I likely don't need a full seasonal.....

Yep gotta have the customs sticker. We also found it easy to use the ROAM app, unless they do a system update and then only Apple stuff was the only app. This happened last year while approaching Port of Friday Harbor.

Last edited:
+1 to all the above and the decal. Three notes. First, the decal should be visible at the place of most common boarding to the boat. For many of us that might be the cockpit entry door to the salon.

Second a simple mistake I've made is to call using ROAM just prior to crossing the border from Canada back to the US. That doesn't work -- they'll see your location and tell you to enter US waters first and then call. (You only need permission before landing, anchoring, etc.)

Third, the decal number changes every year and they will always want the current year decal. Be sure to update it in ROAM (yes I made that mistake once too!)

I can’t say anything about Nexus, except there is probably very little advantage to having it for entry by vessel. When returning, I contact customs at the dock in Steveston and about 5 minutes from where I tie up. They give me a number and I’m on my way. I don’t have it myself and I don’t believe I’m at any disadvantage.

I found the CBP Roam to be very useful when entering at Point Roberts. I kinda screwed the information when I first tried it and the official walked me through it over the phone, told me to resubmit and I was good to go. I asked him where he was located and he said Point Roberts.

Jim

At this point in time there appears to be very little advantage for Nexus when entering the USA by boat.

Nexus has a big advantage for entering the USA by car and by air travel(Global Entry).

Nexus has a big advantage when Entering Canada by boat or car. I have not entered Canada by air in the last 20 years so I can’t speak of it.

At this point in time there appears to be very little advantage for Nexus when entering the USA by boat.

Nexus has a big advantage for entering the USA by car and by air travel(Global Entry).

Nexus has a big advantage when Entering Canada by boat or car. I have not entered Canada by air in the last 20 years so I can’t speak of it.

We have used the NEXUS card for entry into Canada, but also get the Green check when we travel by air. Works very well for ASD.

That map works like crap - Even with a good internet connection! Can't click, can't zoom with out taking a trip to Alaska. Thanks CANPASS!

I will say NEXUS is great as others have said for air travel; When we first got it, it was a little cheaper than the other trusted traveler programs, and it automatically came with TSA Pre-Check. This meant even if you never used it for boating, it was still a good deal for other reasons.

I can’t say anything about Nexus, except there is probably very little advantage to having it for entry by vessel. When returning, I contact customs at the dock in Steveston and about 5 minutes from where I tie up. They give me a number and I’m on my way. I don’t have it myself and I don’t believe I’m at any disadvantage.

I found the CBP Roam to be very useful when entering at Point Roberts. I kinda screwed the information when I first tried it and the official walked me through it over the phone, told me to resubmit and I was good to go. I asked him where he was located and he said Point Roberts.

Jim
Nexus is a great tool. I have gone back/forth Can to US and have not seen a customs office or officer in years. Previoulsy moored in point Roberts cleared customs at Cabbage Island, on return by cell phone to PR.
This year will test the waters to San Juan and see if I need to land at Roche or Friday harbor or just go to my planned destination anchorage.

Nexus is a great tool. I have gone back/forth Can to US and have not seen a customs office or officer in years. Previoulsy moored in point Roberts cleared customs at Cabbage Island, on return by cell phone to PR.
This year will test the waters to San Juan and see if I need to land at Roche or Friday harbor or just go to my planned destination anchorage.
I think Roche is closed. Maybe a phone.

Since the arrival of the ROAM app, Roche Harbor Customs Dock was deemed not necessary and closed. 95% of all customs traffic is now clearing with ROAM. The remaining 5% is routed to Friday Harbor for CUstoms interaction.

I have used NEXUS pretty frequently over the last couple of years crossing between the US and Canada when only the two of us - both NEXUS card holders - are on board. It is useful in both directions, but more useful entering the US from Canada.

When you are entering Canada, you call the designated phone number. The operator there will ALWAYS direct you to dock at a designated point of entry and wait for a specified short period of time. If no CBSA officer appears during that time, you are free to leave with your entry number displayed. As a practical matter, no CBSA officer ever met me on the dock on about a half dozen entries into Canada over the last couple of years.

When you are entering the US, you can clear in by phone without having to go through any obligatory customs stop. Simply call in to report your arrival, and you will likely be cleared.

In both directions, you will be asked about firearms, cannabis, alcohol, and food on board. Be aware that border crossing can be delayed by your answers to these questions. Finding out what foods are permitted and prohibited can be extremely confusing. Do your research if you travel with a fully provisioned boat!

Kawini: we typically enter the US at Point Roberts. We used the
Roam app and as near as I can tell, it wasn’t all together different than the Nexus App. When we enter Canada, we go to the customs dock in Steveston, which is about 5 minutes from where we tie up and phone in. It’s easy.

The reason we don’t have Nexus is, we HEARD (confirmation required) that upon return to Canada you had to submit all details of individual purchases and pay required taxes. I buy boat materials online and have them sent to a parcel service in Point Roberts. I pick these up by car get a tank of gas and return. I always declare these items but I am rarely asked to come inside to pay taxes. For the most part, these are less than $200 Cdn. but Just recently, I had my windlass serviced by the manufacturer, $1,100 US. I expected to pay $180 Cdn. I was shocked that I was waved through.

Jim

JD is correct. Nexus is not much of an advantage entering the US. With ROAM, you no longer need to go to a customs dock. As a Nexus boat I submit on Roam and almost instantly get an approval code. A non Nexus boats submits on Roam and gets a video call were they are approved. Both of us show up at the same anchorage at the same time. Going to Canada is different Nexus gets a much larger selection of entry points.

+1 for steve K <look at Cabbage Island> Our boat is in the Semiahmoo Marina in Blaine, WA. Using NEXUS, we can clear via phone into Cabbage Island, +/- 18 NM, a perfect place to start a cruise to or through the Gulf Islands. No dock or facilites whatsoever, no waiting for a spot, just drop the hook. I can't imagine CBSA ever actually showing up, but they are welcome if they do! We could all have a beer in the cockpit :cool:
Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Cabbage Island Aug 23.jpg
    Cabbage Island Aug 23.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom