Old 11-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Another scam, now for boat name "registration"

Here's a new scam, sadly promoted by BoatUS.

boatnameregistry.com

You can "register" your boat name with them for $35/year and "protect" the name from use by anyone else. As most people in the US know, boat naming in the US is not unique, and there is no restriction on duplicate boat names. All this site does is allow only one boat name to be registered with them, with no enforcement of anything. It's like me telling you that if you tell me your name, I won't listen to anyone else who tell me they have the same name. Ok, great. So what?

They don't protect your name in any way. They only allow one name to be registered with them, a random web database of no significance to anyone.

I think the only thing sadder than people who fall for this, is that I learned about this "service" in a promotional email from BoatUS.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
So if I want to officially rename to "The Office" or 'Wet Dream," I have to wait for a numbskull to lapse payment and I can swoop it? And if I want a star named after me I have to pay extra?

Jeez.....thanks for the notice.

Peter
Old 11-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #3

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Just another company trying to sell stuff nobody needs. A unique name/home port combo is required for commercial vessels in the US, but nobody cares about pleasure craft.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
Just another company trying to sell stuff nobody needs. A unique name/home port combo is required for commercial vessels in the US, but nobody cares about pleasure craft.

It's not required in the US for any vessels, commercial or not.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
So if I want to officially rename to "The Office" or 'Wet Dream," I have to wait for a numbskull to lapse payment and I can swoop it? And if I want a star named after me I have to pay extra?

Peter

Simple, you just rename the boat via whatever registration/documentation authority you use, and ignore this website because it means nothing. You don't need their approval to do anything, and you don't need to register your boat with them and give them money in exchange for doing nothing for you. And registering with them doesn't prevent anyone anywhere from naming their boat the same as yours.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
Reminds me of the official star registry, where the book containing your star and name is donated to the library of congress.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:

Peter

Be careful, you just devised a new revenue stream for them. A paid wait-list for the name of your choice.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #8

City: Here and there
I don’t want to disappoint anyone and I know I’m going way out on a limb to suggest that “Carpe Diem” is probably already taken. ��
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I guess this name is taken, as well...

Old 11-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgy View Post
I donít want to disappoint anyone and I know Iím going way out on a limb to suggest that ďCarpe DiemĒ is probably already taken. ��

Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a search function. I wonder if they just accept all registrations, even if duplicate. I'd name that boat Gorilla Balls.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
If you are not sure what name you want for your boat just go to the site and have your pick. (I won't tell anyone)

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:48 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I guess this name is taken, as well...

Race horse names can be reused after 10-years, though there is a censorship function. Apparently, Hoof Hearted slipped through (try repeating that 3x over a VHF).

https://youtu.be/Kqj2hkbDnyM

Peter
Old 11-26-2022, 09:51 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Simple, you just rename the boat via whatever registration/documentation authority you use, and ignore this website because it means nothing. You don't need their approval to do anything, and you don't need to register your boat with them and give them money in exchange for doing nothing for you. And registering with them doesn't prevent anyone anywhere from naming their boat the same as yours.
My comment was tongue in cheek. To be honest, I still lament the days when USCG documentation required a hailing port with a USCG office. I am just now about to afix "Weebles" name on her stern (do double enders have a transom???) and will keep "San Francisco" as her hailing port even though she is unlikely to return, at least under my watch

Peter
Old 11-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Absolutely a brilliant idea. I wish I'd thought of it first. Actually, I can set up a competing list!
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:00 PM   #15

City: Antigua
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Absolutely a brilliant idea. I wish I'd thought of it first. Actually, I can set up a competing list!
Too late. Iím setting one up where you get a certificate of naming for your vessel, a free star named after your loved one, a Scottish Title so you can call yourself Laird DDW and an exclusive coin. ,All for just $400 payable in 4 equal instalments. Order today and Iíll send you not one but 2 eagle headed coins and a certificate of authenticity issued by the B.S. Mint. Donít miss out for the holidays.
Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #16
Guru

City: Belgium
Quote:
My comment was tongue in cheek. To be honest, I still lament the days when USCG documentation required a hailing port with a USCG office. I am just now about to afix "Weebles" name on her stern (do double enders have a transom???) and will keep "San Francisco" as her hailing port even though she is unlikely to return, at least under my watch

Peter
You have a stern but not a transom, since yours' is a double-ender.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Weebles boat is ďDouble EntendreĒ
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I solved this problem by picking a boat name that nobody else will ever want. Actually, there are two other vessels in the world with the same name, but I think both are commercial barges without AIS, so a VesselFinder search only shows me.

Now everybody will want to change to CHiTON. Not.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
White colar crime pays. Prosecution doesn't happen.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #20

City: Fort Myers
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: Hatteras 54
Just another $$$ suck

Typical of an organization that's lost its way. They're in too deep with Geico for insurance, and running any idea that seems likely to generate revenue regardless of how much damage it does to their reputation. The real tragedy is the people who'll register then see another boat with the same name, and try to use it as the foundation for a lawsuit.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote