1983 34' Marine Trader DC following seas and steadying sail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrs1958

Vessel Name
Resolute
Vessel Make
2000 47' Selene
The bottom of the bottom looks semi displacement to full displacement.
My question to anyone who owns this model is how is the handling in following seas. Does she track well with her full keel.
Also, would adding lead or weight in the keel help.
Also, has anyone tried a steadying sail and did that help with the roll.
Thanks,
Rick

I can't find a forum on Marine Trader boats specifically?

Your keel isn't already filled with concrete? I have the original sail and it seems a bit small to be useful as a steadying sail.

Good morning. In my experience with full keel sailboats and semi/full displacement power boats, in a following sea, as the stern lifts the bow digs in and the boat wants to round up. Meaning the boat will veer sharply either port or starboard as the wave passes under the boat. If you anticipate it, you can usually maintain a more or less zig zag course.

I don't have your boat but I learned years ago to slow down enough that the waves pass beneath readily and the stern is pushed less.

If you find the boat is still veering then give the engine a sharp, quick shot of throttle to push water over the rudder and get it back on course. Be quick about the throttle jab or you may push it the other way.

Yes, It will take some practice.

I have your boat and yes everything is fine when the following seas are directly behind. Once they start coming around to the aft quarter you are in for a ride.

Slow down and let them pass while keeping a good eye on them. Sit down or steer from below as there can be a lot of motion upstairs. You have the steering wheel to hold on to but nobody else on the flybridge has anything to hold on to.

I saw my wife become airborne in the salon when we fell off a 7 footer. She looked just like those astronauts preparing for space travel. I decided we had enough and I ducked into Barnegat Bay for the rest of the afternoon.

I don't have a steading sail and I don't think it would have done squat if I did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom