Old 02-03-2020, 12:27 AM   #21
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mazurka
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 M1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
No scenic comparison to the Canadian canals that are beautiful clean fresh water lakes / waterways but NY canal towns do have some attractive stops / small towns.
I love the scenery on the Erie Canal. But I'm into post industrial landscapes :-) There's a lot of history and some amazing engineering in places. And the finger lakes seemed pretty clean to me

Most of the communities along the canal have made real efforts to welcome boaters, and it's an under utilized treasure IMO. I've been through all the waterways around the great lakes and the Erie remains my favourite.

Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I love the scenery on the Erie Canal. But I'm into post industrial landscapes :-) There's a lot of history and some amazing engineering in places. And the finger lakes seemed pretty clean to me

Most of the communities along the canal have made real efforts to welcome boaters, and it's an under utilized treasure IMO. I've been through all the waterways around the great lakes and the Erie remains my favourite.
No argument that the Finger Lakes are the real gem along the western canal as far as fresh clean water, good fishing and swimming. That's the reason we call Seneca Lk home and explore from there. But if anyone hadn't experienced the Rideau it is a must see.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #23

City: Lake Champlain
Anyone know if this includes the Champlain Canal up through Fort Ann to Whitehall and into Lake Champlain?
lhousesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhousesoccer View Post
Anyone know if this includes the Champlain Canal up through Fort Ann to Whitehall and into Lake Champlain?
It does. The whole NY Canal system is covered, so the Champlain Canal, Erie Canal, Oswego Canal, and Cayuga-Seneca Canal.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Falmouth MA
Vessel Name: Serena
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Good news here, since I plan to transit Oswego, Erie, and Champlain later this summer. And a takeaway for all of us using the these canals should be to patronize these businesses along the way that depend on the canals. If we can afford these boats, we can afford to spread a little money around to them.
Joe
(A 'buy local' guy here at home}
CapeWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeWhaler View Post
And a takeaway for all of us using the these canals should be to patronize these businesses along the way that depend on the canals.
I'm not personally a huge supporter of the whole "buy local" thing, although it's a good sentiment and I do what I can.

But for the canals, I think it's in all of our best interests to think that way. Anywhere else in the Northeast they're going to charge you $100-$200 per night just to tie up. No reason we can't give at least some of that back to the local communities which let us tie up for free, or for a very nominal fee.

The canals are expensive to maintain. It won't take much to convince the taxpayers to just abandon the whole thing. Every dollar we pump back into the local economy is a small step toward keeping them operating.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #27

City: Beaufort
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 37
May not be an issue this year as they are saying the system may not be open for complete transit until mid July 2020.
Captain Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Doug View Post
May not be an issue this year as they are saying the system may not be open for complete transit until mid July 2020.
Aug 10th is the estimate for getting from Troy to Oneida Lk and/or north to Lk Ontario at Oswego.
Shorter stretches prior to that if you are only looking to get a short distance.
http://www.canals.ny.gov/news/Projec...Reopening.html

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote