1982 Californian hin# help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankT72

Vessel Name
Pub Talk
Vessel Make
1982 Californian 34
Hello, I've exhausted my research capabilities and come here with high hopes.
I have a 1982 wellcraft californian 34lrc.
The hin # is : WEL 74420 48 34C L-1982
As such I could reveal by sanding paint.

I am trying to register the vessel in TN but the state doesn't recognize the hin#, having too many characters.

Has anyone had experience with this style of hin#
and can help me decipher it?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20240304_125208.jpg
    20240304_125208.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 23
I suspect the HIN is WEL ?74420482 with the number before the 7 being illegible. This shows what the post '72 and pre '84 hin should look like. https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf

Has the boat ever been documented? If there is a documentation number on a plaque in the vessel you can use that number to look it up in the USCG database and they usually have the HIN number listed with it.

Thank you both for the quick responses.

It makes more sense now. The missing # after WEL and a 2 after the 8 make it a valid hin. I plugged variations in an online decoder.

I just submitted the photo to the state along with that explanation. Most likely they will reissue a #.

The vessel has never been documented and the hin doesn't appear on any documents I possess.

Much obliged!

Adding a photo of the boat because, hey, we all like to look at boats!

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 6
A mast would be fantastic but I'm afraid I wouldn't fit under the shed. The Bimini just barrly clears when backing in.

Thanks for the offer though. Any chance you've got an extra hardtop for the cockpit lying around?

Back
Top Bottom