American Tug 34 vs Downeast Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRidge

Nearing retirement and planning for a cruiser to use in the Bahamas and parts of the Loop.

I like the American Tug 34, but also find many of the Downeast Cruisers attractive too.

From your experience is one or the other better suited for both of these grounds?

Thanks

Take this for what it is worth - a tug is a nice boat, it cruises at about 8 knots. So a 10 hour cruise gives you about 80 miles depending on weather and current.

I took my 35 downeast to Florida from NJ and back over the winter last year and then made a trip to Cape Cod summer. My thoughts are having done the trips - I could not go any slower than my cruising at 16 knots. I keep thinking that maybe if I was retired maybe it would be ok to go slower. But I cant seem to wrap my head around going slower in the ocean or on the ICW. I enjoy the travels but I want to get there in the daytime and I want to go further than 100 miles a day unless I decide differently.

Your requirements may be different but speed was a factor in the boat I wanted. My air draft is 13 feet with the antenna down. I like tugs and the looks but I cant help but want to go faster... Good Luck!

If you are going to compare the two, compare boats of equal WLL.
Speed? It’s nice to have the option to go faster than 8 knots.
IMO, once you get get beyond these two points, your decision.

Which downeast cruiser? It's hard to compare a specific boat to a category. There are many *very* nice downeast cruisers...

Nordic tug 32s (34 now) will top at 16+
Cruise at 10-12 if you want to pay the fuel (always a consideration for us mere mortals)
Give a really comfortable, economical cruise at 7-8 with far more range, way less noise and easier to see the scenery.

I’ve saw over 8000 nautical miles of the Pacific Northwest at 6.5-7 knots and love it.

For some of us, it’s the journey, not just the destination…

Greetings,
Last year when we were looking for a replacement boat we looked very seriously at DE cruisers. Names I had never heard of before: Judge, MJM, Back Cove, True North, Parker etc. Premium priced at the time but just didn't fit us quite right.
Most capable of cruising +/- 20 knots. Well worth looking at IMO.

Clearly a lot of factors go into what is the "best" boat for an individual owner.

We now have a Sabre 38SE which some might consider a "Down East" boat. Pertinent to this discussion, it is an easy cruise at 25 kts at 1 nm/gal.

In addition to other creature comfort features, what makes it special for us pod propulsion coupled with Volvo Penta Assisted Docking. Assisted docking uses GPS positioning to hold the boat in a stationary location or move it in any direction while taking wind and current out of the equation. We boat in an area where two knot currents are not unusual and Assisted Docking makes boat handling very easy. The Sipe Power function holds the boat against a dock so I can handle lines solo without the boat moving at the dock.

This propulsion system may not be for everyone but it has substantially enhanced my use of out boat. Caveat - maintenance of the pods is more expensive than a straight shaft setup.

Bottom line for me is that the mechanics of boat handling should be a consideration and there are certainly other options to facilitate boat handling such as twin engines and thrusters, particularly with proportional control.

This being a trawler forum and all, I don't think I'm going out too far on a limb to suggest that speed isn't always the most important factor.

Look at how you like to spend your time aboard, and whether the space is designed well for that. Some boats prioritize cockpit space, deck space, or interior living space. Consider how easily you can access engines and equipment for maintenance. Think about how well the hull handles rough weather if going offshore.

The ability to go fast is very nice to have, but you might find that it isn't worth the compromise. Just remember that there are lots of sailboats cruising the world which never go faster than 6 or 7 knots.

Word to the wise, FYI, beware, etc. I have known to owners/vessels with pods.Run, don't walk away !

Word to the wise, FYI, beware, etc. I have known to owners/vessels with pods.Run, don't walk away !

sorry two not to .

Seems like for every bad pod story... there are a hundred or so (or a thousand?) unpublished OK stories.

"Two" is not a huge number.

Seems to be a "semi-universal truth" (?) that pod maintenance is more expensive, though...

For OP: If you're comparing flybridge versions (AT34? I dunno what that is...) to downeast sedans, you might give some thought to what the differences might make. We find a flybridge brings better visibility and gives us a whole 'nother "room" to use on the boat. YMMV.

-Chris

A friend of mine scraped the pods off of his Sabre on a reef. A low speed grounding, they came off rather easily (as they are apparently designed to do). Boat was never in any danger of flooding. But last time I talked to him, the repair bill was north of $200K and climbing still.

I love how these threads progress….
Lads considering inter coastal and Bahamas.
Should consider:
-Draft… as sections of the ICW and certainly the Keys and Bahamas are extremely shallow!
-range… in the Bahamas fuel availability isn’t as abundant as State side.
-cruising budjet… how much on fuel? A lower speed semi displacement hull will burn a fraction of the fuel as a planing hull. Easily possible to get 6+ times the range on the same fuel.
-cruising style… laid back enjoy the trip, anchor out or marina hop fast
Again… a tug style boat typically offers comfort, economy and speed in the teens if needed
As to pods, my friend John and I try our best to not even use our thrusters to keep our boat handling skills sharp. A full rudder forward blast followed by a stern blast with prop walk will do wonders docking.
I hope I never digress to require the cost, complexity and maintenance of pods.

My bro had a boat with pods, he would sing the praises until coming in one night and they failed to respond as he wishes, running up on the rocks. Boat was maybe 1 year old. (Second season) He replaced it with a shaft driven boat.

Per the AT34/36 Without repeating the boat’s spec found AT’s home page,
Cummins 380 QSB 5.9
1200RPM 7 knots….. 1.4 g/h
1400RPM 8 knots….. 2.1 g/h
3000RPM 17 knots …. 18.1 g/h

To the original post, I would say that both down east types and trawlers are perfect for such cruising. As noted the difference depends on your own preferences; every boat has compromises.

People do the loop on everything from 20' boats and up (actually probably even smaller; and getting difficult over 50' or so). Boats that I personally find claustrophobic (like Ranger Tugs) are extremely popular with others doing long trips.

Mostly I'd say to get on board each of the boats of interest, and even better, try chartering one for a week and see whether it "works" for your preference. Ultimately you want a boat that makes you happy and that varies person to person.

FWIW, we've owned two American Tugs, a 34 and a 39. While most AT owners seem to cruise at displacement speeds, I can verify from our multiple years of ownership experiences that it is indeed possible to feasibly cruise at low to mid teens, if the boat has the right engine and if you are willing to pay for the fuel burn.

With the AT34, as long as it's equipped with at least 370 hp (or more), you can cruise at 13-14 knots. The boat will perform just fine and handles beautifully (albeit with a wet ride, the hull does throw a lot of spray but that's what windshield wipers are for). Of course you will burn much more fuel at 14 knots than at 7, but it's very doable and a personal choice how you want to spend your money.

In that sense the AT34 can perform and be used similarly to a 'downeast' style boat. As others have mentioned, there are aa great many different types and manufacturers of 'downeast' boats. Some have smaller engines and cruise along at displacement speeds; most are powered to attain semi-displacement speeds or even into the low 20's. There are various hull shapes, soft vs. hard chine, skeg type vs. built-down keel, each with their pluses and minuses.

The AT34 will have more cabin space than a similar length downeast by virtue of it's greater beam. A comparable downeast, like a Wilbur 34 or Duffy 35, to many eyes is a prettier boat. As with any boat, go see a few and see what works best for you.

I don’t think that this has been mentioned:

Most but not all DE boats have no flybridge. That is gear in the NE since it is colder and you would be using the lower helm anyway. I had a CD28 with no flybridge and it was marginal for use in NC where we lived at the time. Later we moved to Ct and bought a MS Pilot 34 with no flybridge. Worked great in that climate.

Most but not all trawlers have a flybridge.

So, consider where you plan to cruise.

David

Thanks for the suggestions.

One thought I had with the Downeast style is there is more "outdoor" space in the layout, which might be better in the Bahamas and enjoying the intercostal.

But the Tug has a layout that is more home like, that may be more comfortable when living onboard for extended periods of time. But limited "outdoor" space for enjoying the Bahamas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

One thought I had with the Downeast style is there is more "outdoor" space in the layout, which might be better in the Bahamas and enjoying the intercostal.

But the Tug has a layout that is more home like, that may be more comfortable when living onboard for extended periods of time. But limited "outdoor" space for enjoying the Bahamas.

Flying bridge.

:)

-Chris

... the Tug has a layout that is more home like, that may be more comfortable when living onboard for extended periods of time...

I think that depends on the tug. And LOA. For "home-like" living, it's hard to beat the traditional "trawler" style. In my (limited) experience with tugs, which by the way I like, the interior space isn't quite as livable as a well-appointed trawler of similar length.

Again, I like tugs. But I'd urge anyone to spend some time on all the options in their price and LOA range, and see which uses the space to best suit their personal preferences. Obviously, we're all biased. Take everything anyone says under advisement, but remember it's you who has to live with your decision.

I think that depends on the tug. And LOA. For "home-like" living, it's hard to beat the traditional "trawler" style. In my (limited) experience with tugs, which by the way I like, the interior space isn't quite as livable as a well-appointed trawler of similar length.

This is because the Tug is essentially a sedan layout where the salon is open to the back deck. No stateroom beneath (well, the Bayliner 32xx/38xx managed a second stateroom) so there is indeed less living interior space if that's what you want or if your climate precludes spending much time outside. Depends on your priorities. We spend a lot of time on our back deck and could not imagine a boat without this type of lounging space close to waterline.

Peter

Attachments

• 20231120_085332.jpg
    20231120_085332.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom