GB HIN Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RustyAnchor

Vessel Name
RustyAnchor
Vessel Make
GB 32 (looking for)
Is it fair to assume this is a 1996, I ask because I have never seen a HIN with a letter as second to last character in a HIN number. Thye HIN number lookup tools get an error when I try to find info on it. I did find it on the USCG PSIX lookup tool, but it does not confirm the year.

GNDxxxxxxxA6

Thanks

It should be a number, not a letter A. Fourth from the right should be a letter. It could be an 86 or a 96 that just looks like an A.
Share the link to the USCG PSIX lookup you did. Where did the A come from, the USCG search or from actually looking on the transom?

The USCG database can sometimes be a little variable, sometimes they list the year as the last two numbers of the HIN, sometimes they list the year as the build year (3rd from the end).

Last edited:
Came from transom, I agree it should be a letter, I don't want to send over Coast Guard info, because of privacy, it's a GB in a marina near my house that I am trying to track the owner down to see if they want to sell. (-:

Came from transom, I agree it should be a letter, I don't want to send over Coast Guard info, because of privacy, it's a GB in a marina near my house that I am trying to track the owner down to see if they want to sell. (-:

There's no privacy issue, it's a public database. It USED to be a privacy issue but they no longer provide the owner name and address like they used to.

Guess you'll just have to check with the Marina for the contact info. The only other way to know the year would be to use 6, 7, & 8th numbers to get the hull number then compare that to the hull numbers they were building in the late 80's and late 90's to see which it corresponds to.

Results for Vessel: BRILLIANT
Vessel Information: Vessel Particulars:
Vessel Name: BRILLIANT
Primary Vessel Number: 981483 (Official Number (U.S.))
Hull Identification Number: N/A
Manufacturer Hull Number: GNDB0748A6A6
IMO Number: N/A
Vessel Flag: UNITED STATES
Vessel Call Sign: WCV7136 Service: Recreational
Length: 31.90 ft
Breadth: 11.50 ft
Depth: 6.50 ft
Build Year: N/A
Alternate VINs: N/A
Service Information: Tonnage Information:
Service Status: Active
Out Of Service Date: N/A
Last Removed From Service By: N/A Cargo Authority: N/A
Tonnage:
15 - Simplified, Gross Ton
12 - Simplified, Net Ton
Vessel Documents and Certifications
Document Agency Date Issued Expiration Date Status
CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION USCG December 23,2022 December 31,2023 Valid

Prior Record:

Results for Vessel: ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR

ATTENTION: These results are from the PSIX Archive Database. Results from this database are for data before 12/15/2001.
Vessel Information: Vessel Particulars:
Vessel Name: ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR
VIN: D981483
Hull Number: GNDB0748A6A6
Vessel Flag: USA
Vessel Call Sign:
Build Year: UNKN Service: RECREATIONAL
Length: 31.920
Breadth: 11.50
Depth: 6.500
Alternate VINs:
IMO Number: D981483
Service Information: Tonnage Information:
Service: N/A
Out Of Service Date: N/A
Last Removed From Service By: N/A Deadweight:
Gross Tonnage[GRT]: 15
Net Tonnage[NRT]: 12
Gross Tonnage[GT ITC]:
Cargo Authority:
Vessel Documents and Certifications
Document Agency Date Issued Expiration Date Status
DOCUMENTATION CERTIFICATE USCG May 3,1999 May 31,2002 Not Available

Now you need someone with an 80's or 90's era Grand Banks 32 to chime in with their year and hull number, then you can compare to this vessel (Hull #748) and determine whether that 'A' should be an 8 or a 9.

Edit: I see Grand Banks only built the 32's from 1964 to 1979. So if it's fiberglass it's a '76, if it's wood it's a '66. That also explains the weird HIN.

Last edited:
It's glass, but definitely not a 76 GB. My understanding from several sources including Power Boat Guide is they were made until 1995/1996

Last edited:
Now I am thinking it might be 1986 based on hull number, from HMY:

Name:
32 Sedan
Length:
Hull Type:
Semi-Disp.
Gross Weight:
--
Fuel Capacity:
225/250 gals.
Model Years:
1965—1995
Draft:
3'9"
Beam:
11'6"
Water Capacity:
110 gals.
Waste Capacity:
30 gals.
Length w/ Pulpit:
--
Known for her beauty and practicality, the Grand Banks 32 is one of the best-selling small trawlers ever produced. A total of 861 were built during her production years, and used models are always in demand. (Note that she was built of wood until 1973.) With her classic trawler profile, solid construction, and single-stateroom teak interior, the 32 Sedan is a head-turner wherever she goes. The salon/pilothouse includes and convertible dinette and settee aft with a small galley forward to port. Helm visibility is very good, and large side windows provide panoramic views of the water. Below, there are V-berths in the private stateroom and a hand-held shower in the head. The flybridge seats six adults. A prominent feature of the Grand Banks 32 is her wide side decks—getting around is uncommonly easy and secure. Also notable is the exterior brightwork—this is not a low-maintenance boat. A full-length skeg protects the underwater gear, and hard aft chines stabilize the ride. Powered with a single Lehman diesel, the 32 Sedan will cruise at 6–7 knots (at nearly three gallons per hour!) with a range of nearly 500 nautical miles.

Last edited:
1992 Grand Banks 32
Hull # 858 (allegedly 3rd from the last 32 built)
GNDB0858L192
Regards,
Scott

Well, that doesn't match-up, guess PBG is off....

Makes sense that it's an '86 then if they built 110 between '86 and '92. But that's an awful lot...
Maybe some other 32 owners can chime in with their year and hull # to nail it down.

Last edited:
GB Hull Number

Going further back, my GB32 is a 1968 woodie, no hull numbers came out of Hong Kong in those days but the number on the builders plaque is GB 3276. I assume that means it was the 76th GB32 made.

It used to be mine.

Until about a year ago, BRILLIANT a 1986 Grand Banks 32 was our much loved boat. And yes, the numbers correspond to ours. Unfortunately, we didn’t keep the paperwork from the sale. But if you call the broker that handled the sale, I am sure he would contact the current owner to see if they are interested in selling. Our broker’s name is Josh Johnson, (281) 773-7703.

Small world!

Last edited:
Plaque

Hi! You’re right, GB32-76 should be on the plaque, and it’s the hull build number. Mine is GB32-57, also build at the original Hong Kong yard. At that time, there were no HIN yet. Mine is registered in Florida and the HIN assigned, (which is a different number); after some research, I found out the DOT has a way to adsign HIN to non HIN boats and it’s a number as if the boat was home built. This should be in your boat’s title. The boats built after HIN was established, have a combination of letters and numbers specifying builder, year and serial number.

Back
Top Bottom