OceanYachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H2O Capt

Vessel Name
Deja Blue
Vessel Make
1989 Ocean Yachts MY
Any other Ocean Yachts owners on here ? I know Oceans are primarily know for there convertibles but we have recently purchased a 53 Pilot House/Fly Bridge. My understanding is that only maybe 29 of this type were built in NJ in the lat 80s. Very hard to find much info on her.

I think Egg Harbor Goup (not the original Egg Harbor Company) bough Ocean back around 2015 or so.

An Ocean model length (which one I don't know) for a few years had structural problems...they nicknamed it the "flexible flyer".

Welcome aboard

Cool boat. She is a rare bird.

I think Egg Harbor Goup (not the original Egg Harbor Company) bough Ocean back around 2015 or so.

Close. Viking bought the property and the molds for the 37 Billfish, Egg Harbor Group bought the rest of the assets. I was enquiring recently on build info for a 2009 and the folks at Egg Harbor were friendly but said they didn't have any info on previous Ocean boats.

An Ocean model length (which one I don't know) for a few years had structural problems...they nicknamed it the "flexible flyer".

* Thread drift Alert!*It was my understanding that the "Flexible Flyer" (the 40-something Super Sport...the 44?) was an ok build but thats when the higher output diesels were starting to come on the market and the boats were just too fast for their own good and self-destructed in heavy seas.
Ocean was never the highest quality production boat on the market but it was far from the worst! I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Close. Viking bought the property and the molds for the 37 Billfish, Egg Harbor Group bought the rest of the assets. I was enquiring recently on build info for a 2009 and the folks at Egg Harbor were friendly but said they didn't have any info on previous Ocean boats.

Didn't Viking also buy the molds from the Gulfstar 55 in the late 80's? Seems like a similar boat to the original poster's vessel.

Thanks all and glad to be here.
. Hopefully the pic comes thru.

Maybe now?

Attachments

• IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 15
Cool boat. Doesn't she have stairs instead of a ladder to the flybridge? A definite must for the aging mobility impaired.

Yes there is a spiral staircase from the salon/pilot house area. If you look closely in the pic there is a white hatch on stbd fly that closes down over stairs.

That's mine!

Attachments

• 20230316_192045.jpg
    20230316_192045.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 13
I did get her from Rock Port. 1477 miles to bring her home to Alabama. Any particular reason you didn’t buy her ?

It wasn't bigger/nicer enough than the 48 that we currently have to justify the extra cost and it needed some work... we already have a 60' slip so that part would have been easy and bigger is usually better though:)
If we had a bigger family or something we might have gone for it though, there was nothing really wrong with it that we could see! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom