Hull thickness for MS 430?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Looking for the hull thickness of the Mainship 430, to put a transducer in forward of the Galley. Anyone know?

Thx

My guess, and it is a guess, would be 1/2”+ or -.

My guess, and it is a guess, would be 1/2”+ or -.

Como,

Thanks, but I can't guess, cutting a shim to fit and if too small, I'll waste a ton of time and expense of hauling or leaving the boat an extra day or longer.

Why not go with a tilted array transducer? They mount flush to the hull but the element is tilted inside so it will shoot straight down. You just need to know the deadrise where you will be mounting the transducer. It is easy to measure with a digital angle gauge. They cost from $16 and up.

We just installed an Airmar tilted element Smart ‘ducer and, with over 1” hull thickness on our boat, the threaded stem was plenty long enough. Really like these units. They have three versions to accommodate deadrise angles from 0 to 24 degrees. You can order them with speed and temp readings and they’re available in plastic, bronze or stainless. Accurate down to 1.6 feet and they connect to an NMEA 2K network to accommodate a wide range of displays.

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/DT800.pdf

Larry
Are you using a fairing block? That's the way I did mine when adding a xducer.
I used an Airmar xducr and used the matching fairing block. You still need to know the angle to cut it but one cut provides both inside & outside hull pieces with matching angles to keep xducr vertical.
There are many ways to measure it but you have to measure the deadrise close to the spot where the xducr will be placed. All that can be measured ahead of time from the inside.
Dave is correct also in that you can get a tilted xducr to match the deadrise and it requires no shim / fairing block.
Both requires measuring the angle.... but there is a free app for that.
See.

Although M.S. is not exactly a heavily built hull I would guess the year of manufacture is more of a determining factor in hull thickness. A boat built in the 70's may have twice the hull thickness of a more modern boat.

But my guess is around a half inch.

pete

I have a 2007 Mainship Pilot 430, likely the same hull as yours. I had a thru hull transducer added a few years ago just forward on the main engines. I saved the core plug, it measures 1 1/8'" thick solid glass.

If you are determined to go with the fairing block then buy a cheap tabletop table saw and cut it onsite after you have hauled the boat. I used to keep one in a storage locker in the marina for working on the boat. The one I had was under $100 and when I sold the boat it went with the boat.

Thx much for the replies. I'm putting in a forward facing Garmin Panoptix transducet and thickness of the hull is something I don't want to "guess" about. E-Sea Going, thx much for your answer.

Also, I don't have a spare table saw to carry with me, so I'm cutting the fairing block before I haul.

Now, my main depth info quit (comes from an old Ray unit (last of the old stuff, so now looking at a glue in the hull transducer to get depth. Don't need fishing stuff. (but may change my mind if I get hungry).

Anyone have good experienc with the glue in the hull transducers?

Dewalt makes a small table saw that sells for less than $70. I used to keep one in storage by our boat when we lived in Tucson and the boat was in San Diego 420 miles away. Well worth it to have the convenience.

I used a glue in transducer in our Camano and it worked fine. The hull was fairly thick, but can't remember exactly how thick. I used an adjustable angle mount to get it horizontal and filled the mount with mineral oil. Brad, the owner of Camano at time, said they had been experimenting with them and told me where to install it in the lazarette.

Back
Top Bottom