Old 04-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Show me your windlass setup

Hi All, My windlass setup is driving me nuts! The chain locker hole (port?) is to the right and behind of the windlass so it takes two people to pull the anchor. One to run the windlass and one to push the rope down the hole. Does anyone have a better setup? I have 1980 34 CHB.
See the pictures here https://imgur.com/a/Fv23sXl

SalishSeaCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Pictures not much help, but I suspect your problem is that your system was designed for chain, which would pull off the gypsy and fall into the locker.

AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Pictures not much help, but I suspect your problem is that your system was designed for chain, which would pull off the gypsy and fall into the locker.
I have 30ft or so of chain then line after that. What angle of pictures would help better?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:59 AM   #4

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Grand Spirit
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Here is a link to the dual gypsy windlass for two anchors I installed on my GB42 Classic.
Each anchor has 75 metres of short link 10mm chain.
The entire system works a treat.
Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozxw4sb9x...Du8J7uNKa?dl=0
Denis Glennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Our setup on "Venture". Manson Boss main anchor on all chain Starboard side.Chain drops thru pipe to locker. Fortress secondary on port. 20' chain than all rope. Line and chain is hand fed into locker thru deck fitting (under hose). Up down switches on Starboard side. Also at upper and lower helm. Muir Cheetah windless-- All works well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20191208_122010.jpg  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalishSeaCHB View Post
Hi All, My windlass setup is driving me nuts! The chain locker hole (port?) is to the right and behind of the windlass so it takes two people to pull the anchor. One to run the windlass and one to push the rope down the hole. Does anyone have a better setup? I have 1980 34 CHB.
See the pictures here https://imgur.com/a/Fv23sXl
You have only one picture, doesn't show the problem at all.
My setup is similar to what your picture shows, with the chain droping immediatey into a 1.5"ABS pipe at the opening in the teak bowsprit board. That pipe takes it into th echain locker at a slight angle, so that the chain drips into the approximate centre of the locker space. Sometimes when I fail to knock down the pile of chain it will build to the bottom of the pipe and stop the rest of the chain. The rope portion drops easily through the pipe, but the shackle itself needs a push to get started into the pipe.
The chain locker hole you describe, on my boat is a 4" bronze deck fitting, that I can reach through to knock the pile of chain over using the windlass bar, though I more often simply go below and open the locker door from the
forepeak.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
You have only one picture, doesn't show the problem at all.
My setup is similar to what your picture shows, with the chain droping immediatey into a 1.5"ABS pipe at the opening in the teak bowsprit board. That pipe takes it into th echain locker at a slight angle, so that the chain drips into the approximate centre of the locker space. Sometimes when I fail to knock down the pile of chain it will build to the bottom of the pipe and stop the rest of the chain. The rope portion drops easily through the pipe, but the shackle itself needs a push to get started into the pipe.
The chain locker hole you describe, on my boat is a 4" bronze deck fitting, that I can reach through to knock the pile of chain over using the windlass bar, though I more often simply go below and open the locker door from the
forepeak.
Keith, thanks. I was worried rope would back up in the pipe and not work. That link should take you to 8-10 pictures, not sure why it is not working on your end, maybe try scrolling down?
thank you
Old 04-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Your anchor setup is just like my friend's CHB 45. You could just let the chain pile up underneath the windlass and then feed it in manually after you get the anchor up.

Another way is to fit a piece of corrogated bilge pump hose to guide the chain down into the hawse hole, or maybe a piece of PVC pipe. You may have to bend it a bit to get it to follow the chain path. A heat gun will let it bend a little.

Otherwise it looks like you would need to cut away the bow to let the pulpit sit on the deck so you no longer have that drop into the hawse hole.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
The windlass is not aligned with the deck pipe. Remove the windlass, fill the pulpit hole with a tapered piece, move and recut windlass. Or alternatively move the chain deck pipe hole. Probably easier to modify the pulpit. The pulpit wood does not appear to be teak. Might not be original to boat. I would be leery of a bent tube. If you have a jam you would then have to go down to chain locker door to solve it. Right now you have the ability to pile everything on deck to solve later once underway.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
The windlass is not aligned with the deck pipe. Remove the windlass, fill the pulpit hole with a tapered piece, move and recut windlass. Or alternatively move the chain deck pipe hole. Probably easier to modify the pulpit. The pulpit wood does not appear to be teak. Might not be original to boat. I would be leery of a bent tube. If you have a jam you would then have to go down to chain locker door to solve it. Right now you have the ability to pile everything on deck to solve later once underway.
I agree. How about a piece of pipe sliced lengthwise so it is open to the top and slant it back from the windlass. It does look like there is room to move the windlass aft a bit to help. Not the original windlass I bet.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalishSeaCHB View Post
Keith, thanks. I was worried rope would back up in the pipe and not work. That link should take you to 8-10 pictures, not sure why it is not working on your end, maybe try scrolling down?
thank you
OK, the "next" faked me out and sent me weird places. Yet I don't see any pipe for the rope to back up in. If you install a pipe, one that goes into the locker apart from the existing deck fitting, then you will mimic my system. If you want pictures, I can get some tomorrow, as my boat is close by.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Our rope locker is very deep so we don’t have any problems with the chain piling up. We have 300’ of chain that feeds right down from the gypsy into the rope locker.
Attached Thumbnails
A471B322-3227-4740-92B3-2B1E840E5226.jpg  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My windlass sits as shown in the picture below. Bolted through the pulpit and the deck with a large backing plate underneath, holding the windlass, pulpit, and samson post. Total thickness where it bolts through is about 7.5", so there's a good bit of chain drop before it hits the bottom of the deck (through the 3" hawse hole).

My chain locker is fairly tall, so no issues with feeding. After 300 feet of line goes in and then 90 feet of chain on top of it, there's still about 2 feet from the top of the pile to the underside of the deck (which means over 2.5 feet to the bottom of the windlass).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200419_103929.jpg  
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Windlass01.jpg  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Below is mine.
My 275 ft chain drops into the locker easily.
Of course my windlass is mounted directly over the locker.

I also found the pictures you offered did not show your installation very well.

From what I can see you may not need a pipe, but rather an open trough that the chain and line will follow to the anchor locker opening. Gentle curves so the rode can easily follow.

A good fabricator should be able to come up with something. It could be done is SS or something like BLACK or HEAVILY WHITE UHMW or even Starboard. WIth wood or the plastics it could be cut by you if you are handy and screwed together.
You might even try it out in wood.

I emphasize the the black or heavy white as UHMY often is natural colour, off white, which will not stand up to sunlight well. The heavy pigment protects it.

But try loading better photos using Jpeg s and maybe we can come up with better suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9102.jpg   IMG_9104.jpg  
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
OK. I guess initially I did something wrong. I re-examined the photos and can see an open trough may work quite well. Need to be angled slightly to stbd. and slightly aft.
Leave the trough end slightly above the open hawse hole so the cover can be installed after all the rode is in the locker to prevent most water entry.

UHMW or Starboard can be worked with standard woodworking tools.
It can also be heated for bending with a heat gun and some experimentation.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #17

City: Terrace, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Agreed with the above quote.

The rope/chain must be allowed to fall straight down through a smooth, straight pipe of sufficient diameter for a hassle free windlass set-up.

Relocate either the windlass or the hole, or both, so that they are properly aligned.
PNW Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
SSHB, your setup is very close to what I fabricated on my 34 Californian LRC. I used to have a Powerwinch mounted on the foredeck aft of the pulpit. I removed it and modified/reinforced my pulpit with SS plate and a chain pipe to channel the chain/line rode to and from the anchor locker. My chain pipe is positioned within the teak pedestal box for a vertical drop and was fashioned out of SS sheet and welded to spec.

I bet you can form a length of 2 1/2"-3" pipe (PVC?) to direct the chain into your locker without the need for an extra set of hands on deck.

Here are some pics of my before and after installation. I included a self-launching anchor roller, a security cable for underway, a cleat and a washdown pump recessed in a cannister into the foredeck (not shown).
Attached Thumbnails
FW Powerwinch.JPG   Photo0128_001.jpg   Photo0129_001.jpg   Photo0130_001.jpg   Anchor.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
OK, the "next" faked me out and sent me weird places. Yet I don't see any pipe for the rope to back up in. If you install a pipe, one that goes into the locker apart from the existing deck fitting, then you will mimic my system. If you want pictures, I can get some tomorrow, as my boat is close by.
Keith, do you actually feed the chain and rope down through a pipe or a 1/2 pipe like a slide. i was going to suggest a 1/2 pipe slide to guide it to the deck fitting so it falls in naturally.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Power by arm-strong... with a little winch assistance when desired/needed.

That's a brand new [still in the box] "Power Winch". Exact duplicate replacement to the 1977 original on our Tolly. Found and installed it fall of 2018. The old one finally gave up the ghost when a line became wedged in its gears. Upon taking it apart... I was glad I did... much rust/corrosion under the cover's metal frame and on the base plate!
Attached Thumbnails
Windless.jpg  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote