47' Sea Ranger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not familiar with this brand but in general with a boat of this age the condition of the particular boat is more important than the name of the brand. A big name boat that hasn’t been maintained can be in worse case of an average boat that has been well maintained. I look at the condition of the decks, core, for soft spots. Stringers are a big thing to fix. And fuel tanks, steel tanks in particular. Those are the big 3 IMO. Look for leaks around the windows and doors. Look at the wiring condition in general, neat or a mess. Poke around and open every door and hatch. Take a flashlight and a small phenolic hammer to tap the decks if they are glass, not a lot of help with teak decks.

A 47 foot boat with only one deficiency noted? Wow! Survey by phone call or obsessive owner?

Yes, not sure what rises to the level of "deficiency" but if they only found one they didn't look very hard.

We just had a survey done with vessel termed above average and insurance value placed above the new sale price. That said, about 15 deficiencies noted with none found for tanks, hull, running gear or engines.

The experienced surveyor did say that original build quality is easily noted decades after the fact. On the Sea Ranger look for interior wood staining around the windows, teak deck integrity, ER cleanliness, anchor locker corrosion, through hull valve leakage, bilge water, under bunk locker mold and headliner staining. Problems in these areas can tell a lot well before a surveyor gets onboard.

No genset!? A Honda portable I would consider a back up.is there a genset on board that doesn't work? Minimally a 8.5kw would be my preference or a ton of solar...

This is a screen shot of deficiencies. Survey was an insurance version so mechanical equipment was tested. One thing I just noticed was a lack of generator. I don't know if I could live without one...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_074019_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_074019_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 28
No sizable inverter mentioned and with no genset suspect a true 12 volt vessel as was common 30+ years ago. A redo to a 110 volt vessel could be a DIY project but $$$$.

Also noted that instruments are bare bones at best. Anchor rode questionable too. Maybe a live aboard that made an annual trip to desolation sound thus not much needed. On the plus side, Blackline does really good paint work, albeit some years ago.

Good luck in your inspection.

Last edited:
I assume that the survey was done for the current owner. So I would not rely on it at all. You don’t know what the conditions were for that survey. The owner may have asked the surveyor not to write up any defective items. First do a detailed look over on the boat yourself and see what it looks like. Then if you like it get your own independent survey. Good luck.

We decided against this boat. Sad because I think it's a good looking craft. But no water maker, no generator, no ac system, some maintenance left to do and adding all those items up I might as well look at 200k boats. On to the next one

We decided against this boat. Sad because I think it's a good looking craft. But no water maker, no generator, no ac system, some maintenance left to do and adding all those items up I might as well look at 200k boats. On to the next one

For a nice vessel in the 45-50’ range $200 k is very much on the light side too if a quality newer trawler. Check with Grand Yachts in Sidney for BC alternatives.

Maybe a 25-30 year old Bayliner might be considered in the $175-225 range. Boat prices for the few available top notch vessels out there are strong .

Try to find one that isn’t listed, walk the docks and find one you like, ask if they’re interested in selling. It works!

Back
Top Bottom