Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   North Pacific Yachts (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s78/)
-   -   North Pacific Yachts (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s78/north-pacific-yachts-36512.html)

dirtdoc1 01-15-2018 12:10 AM

North Pacific Yachts
 
6 Attachment(s)
I think North Pacific Yachts deserves a place in the list.

The boat that is battling heavy seas is a NP43. The other pics are of my NP45. North Pacific has a NP63 on the drawing board. It looks like they are going after brands like Outer Reef, Selene, etc. It's a gorgeous trawler.

markpierce 01-15-2018 01:26 AM

Nice railings!

dirtdoc1 01-15-2018 03:52 AM

Nice Seahorse! That's a serious go anywhere boat.

Cheers!

dhays 01-16-2018 12:23 AM

Love that NP45. Fantastic boat IMO.

dirtdoc1 01-16-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 626998)
Love that NP45. Fantastic boat IMO.

Back atcha dhays!

I think the NP page would get a lot of use with over 100 NP's out there.

BandB 01-16-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 626998)
Love that NP45. Fantastic boat IMO.

You love all NP, but for good reason, you love yours. I knew you'd be quick to this thread. However, you did long ago convince me that they're a too often overlooked builder. Very nice boats.

dirtdoc1 01-16-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandB (Post 627002)
You love all NP, but for good reason, you love yours. I knew you'd be quick to this thread. However, you did long ago convince me that they're a too often overlooked builder. Very nice boats.

I'm impressed with Trevor and his commitment to building a great boat for a reasonable price (relative). Thanks for your support!

Rebel112r 01-16-2018 09:54 AM

I agree Doc, another happy owner here. Your boat must be about ready to go!

ktdtx 01-16-2018 11:17 AM

I will also agree that you get a lot of boat for the money with a NP.

Ken Diestler
Galveston

Nomad Willy 01-16-2018 11:42 AM

Yup them are some snotty seas dirtdoc,
Yup everybody thinks their baby ought to be “on the list” but if everybodies baby was the list would be almost endless and constantly changing. This has come up before .. several times and I don’t recall if it’s ever happened. I don’t care if Willard is there so you you can have that spot if you wish .. as if it were mine to give. I can contact other Willard owners as I have done in the past. But I rarely look at the Willard section. They should have known this problem would come up when they made “the list”. However being on the list may be far more beneficial and a plus for newbies. Talking to a dozen people is probably far less threatening than hundreds or thousands. So perhaps there’s more merrit for the list than I thought.

Nomad Willy 01-16-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpierce (Post 626686)
Nice railings!

HaHa Mark,
That’s like saying “nice shoe laces” to a well dressed man.
Or like me saying “nice anchor”.

Scratchnsaw 01-16-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad Willy (Post 627098)
Yup them are some snotty seas dirtdoc,
Yup everybody thinks their baby ought to be “on the list” but if everybodies baby was the list would be almost endless and constantly changing. This has come up before .. several times and I don’t recall if it’s ever happened. I don’t care if Willard is there so you you can have that spot if you wish .. as if it were mine to give. I can contact other Willard owners as I have done in the past. But I rarely look at the Willard section. They should have known this problem would come up when they made “the list”. However being on the list may be far more beneficial and a plus for newbies. Talking to a dozen people is probably far less threatening than hundreds or thousands. So perhaps there’s more merrit for the list than I thought.

When I began reading the forum but rarely posting, it was always nice to see the particular models of boats in the avatar and detailed under the photos. I have always said that it would be nice to have one dedicated section for describing particular boats, with an attached picture for people looking for a hull to buy.

Since then reading the many threads about the best hull for a person, it would be a nice addition if nothing else for people to list a variety of hulls all on one thread, not to discuss as much as like a mini forum boat show .

BandB 01-16-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad Willy (Post 627101)
HaHa Mark,
That’s like saying “nice shoe laces” to a well dressed man.
Or like me saying “nice anchor”.

No, coming from Mark a huge compliment as railings are something he considers very important.

Nomad Willy 01-16-2018 02:30 PM

Scratch,
I’ve always thought people didn’t pay enough attention to hulls and roo much to deatails like galley location. But you probably don’t mean hulls .... just calling boats hulls.
And a kind of a avatar picture or header pic for newbies is a very good idea. Perhaps there should be a “Here are the Boats” section. It could even be a copy of an excellent add w lots of pics and specs. Most all the time that I go on YachtWorld it’s just to look at boats. Yes great idea.

Yup BanbB you’re right. Mark likes his rails and everybody elses too. A good thing to like I’ll admit. Too bad I don’t have more extensive rails to warm Marks heart. Now that I’m not the monkey I used to be it would actually be something to consider. Until that happends I’m going to discipline myself to always wear my inflatable life jacket and rig grab lines over the side .. or better, a ladder not long enough to get near the prop.

But we all like what we like. Speaking of that I just noticed the CC inclusion on the “Trawler Forums” list of boat makes. You should like that at least as well as Mark likes rails. There’s actually a non-trawler on the trawler list. How long has that been there?

BandB 01-16-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad Willy (Post 627162)

But we all like what we like. Speaking of that I just noticed the CC inclusion on the “Trawler Forums” list of boat makes. You should like that at least as well as Mark likes rails. There’s actually a non-trawler on the trawler list. How long has that been there?

Lot's of non trawlers there, depending on one's definition of trawlers. I hadn't noticed the list until it came up today as I never look at it.

Scratchnsaw 01-16-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

I’ve always thought people didn’t pay enough attention to hulls and roo much to deatails like galley location
Well if galley location is the single most important thing, it is my view that for dock queens that's probably the most important part of any boat-hull besides a bar.;)

BandB 01-16-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw (Post 627196)
Well if galley location is the single most important thing, it is my view that for dock queens that's probably the most important part of any boat-hull besides a bar.;)

On a cruising boat, galley up vs down is a must for us. Galley down is a deal killer. We have one boat with galley down but it has no bridge and up is open so only place to put it and not a boat we use it a lot on. Everyone has must haves or must not haves that have nothing to do with the hull or performance of the boat.

Bob Cofer 01-16-2018 05:45 PM

Dirtdoc,

Is she in Bellingham?

Bob

Scratchnsaw 01-16-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandB (Post 627219)
On a cruising boat, galley up vs down is a must for us. Galley down is a deal killer. We have one boat with galley down but it has no bridge and up is open so only place to put it and not a boat we use it a lot on. Everyone has must haves or must not haves that have nothing to do with the hull or performance of the boat.

I understand completely. But the overall length of a boat can play a role in the placement of the galley. While there are some exceptions, the shorter the boat, and with the galley up you loose a lot of sitting area. I have experienced the break point in and around 32 feet. A raised pilot house, which is becoming more available in the newer models can improve some of the losses in the combination deck house and helm area in those ranges.

With it down, you can loose sleeping quarters. or a smaller stateroom and even a full stand up head. But my comment , maybe not the best with the short reply was more along the lines of the galley being at the top of the list without giving other considerations to some of the compromises that's in each and every boat.

dirtdoc1 01-16-2018 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cofer (Post 627223)
Dirtdoc,

Is she in Bellingham?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes she is in Bellingham. I'm in a hotel in Medford right now. I'm driving up to put her in the Seattle boat this week. Then she will go back to Bellingham to finish commissioning then up to Canada for a few months. I'll cruise her in the PNW for a while then it's down to Ensenada for a few months then home to Redwood City. I can't wait until I get back to my home harbor. West Point Harbor. It's a great place. The more time that I spend in other states the more I miss the traffic choked San Francisco Bay Area - born and raised there. I love the bay and the delta, the coast, the redwoods, etc..

Nothing against Washington it's a beautiful place! I'm spoiled by the CA weather.

Speaking of galleys: I wish my fridge was bigger. The 49 is really the sweet spot.

Bob Cofer 01-16-2018 11:32 PM

I’ve been enjoying watching her progress. She’s an absolute beauty. I walk by nearly every day on my way out to Ebbtide.

dirtdoc1 01-17-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cofer (Post 627361)
I’ve been enjoying watching her progress. She’s an absolute beauty. I walk by nearly every day on my way out to Ebbtide.

I'm jealous, I've only seen her one time and that was before any work was done to her. I did get a chance to take her out. Ann-Elise was a twin screw Carver. She was light and not much hull below the water line made docking very exciting in the wind. The NP was a breeze at the dock. I didn't feel the wind at all. I love the way she tracks with the deep V bow and keel. The single screw is not an issue for me at all. The weight made her stay put in the wind. I think that I'm going to feel very comfortable in a trawler.

dirtdoc1 01-17-2018 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been having a hard time finding a microwave to fit the cubby above the stove. I found one that is meant to be built in and it fit perfectly. I heard that the NP49 comes with a built in microwave but they don't do that with the NP45 for some reason. Well, here's my solution:

Rebel112r 01-17-2018 11:22 PM

That ss tile sure looks good. Good looking microwave also.. We used ours so seldom, we took it out. Now there is a wine rack and glass storage..

dirtdoc1 01-18-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel112r (Post 627671)
That ss tile sure looks good. Good looking microwave also.. We used ours so seldom, we took it out. Now there is a wine rack and glass storage..

That's interesting. I must use mine several times a day with making tea, reheating leftovers, coffee, etc.. I can't imagine life without it.

A wine rack would look good there. Hmm?

markpierce 01-18-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BandB (Post 627126)
No, coming from Mark a huge compliment as railings are something he considers very important.

That's for sure. That's for dang sure!

Bob Cofer 01-18-2018 01:48 PM

The photos don't do justice to the microwave install. Super clean and the proportions are just right. Excellent choice. Looks like she is getting shined up like a new penny for the boat show!

dirtdoc1 01-19-2018 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cofer (Post 627875)
The photos don't do justice to the microwave install. Super clean and the proportions are just right. Excellent choice. Looks like she is getting shined up like a new penny for the boat show!

Hi Bob,

I have to give credit to Dave Rasmussen. He has done all of the work on Ann-Elyse. From installing all of the electronics, including an IMEA 2000 computer networked system with cameras, requiring A/D conversion to mounting the BBQ, Life raft, spot light, etc.. He doesn't just do good work, he treats every project like it's his boat that he's working on. He's one of these guys that's really smart and does things in such a way as to keep himself interested. His thought process is such that he tries to do each project so that it will turn out special in some way. I bought a couple of recliner/message chairs for the solon. He machined special coasters for each foot so they won't let the chairs slide around in seas and to prevent scratching the floor. He put a lot of thought in to the design. You should see these things. They will last forever.

I understand why he likes doing what he does. You have to be knowledgeable in plumbing, electrical, finish carpentry, woodworking and refinishing, boat systems, computer networking, diesel engines, fiberglass and a host of other disciplines. There are many people who work in commissioning boats but Dave's a specialist in all aspects of commissioning. I will miss his work when I move the boat out of state.

I've been a small business owner and employer for 30 years and I like to give credit when it is due. Unfortunately, as my employees will attest, I don't do it very often.

Great job Dave! :thumb:

Datenight 01-20-2018 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Doc,

Love the microwave. What brand and model is it? I am helping comission NP 4505 in Savannah, GA. Am sure the owners would be interested in the unit you chose.

Here are some shots of of the boat before and during off loading Thursday.

Rob

dirtdoc1 01-21-2018 02:04 AM

It's called a Summit, Commercial on the door. I'll have to look for the book to get more info.

Congrats to the new owners!

Datenight 01-21-2018 08:27 PM

Thanks,

I'll pass it along.

Rob

MurrayM 08-24-2019 02:49 PM

Hey...how did the North Pacific 38 Sedan sneak past me for so long?

I've been grumbling for years here on TF about there being a lack of well built boats with a low *bling* factor for those who don't need/want opulence, and there's a company right here in BC with that (and having no dealer network or brokerage costs) as a founding principle :thumb: :thumb:

North Pacific Yachts - Knots and Boats

dhays 08-24-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayM (Post 794848)
Hey...how did the North Pacific 38 Sedan sneak past me for so long?

I've been grumbling for years here on TF about there being a lack of well built boats with a low *bling* factor for those who don't need/want opulence, and there's a company right here in BC with that (and having no dealer network or brokerage costs) as a founding principle :thumb: :thumb:

North Pacific Yachts - Knots and Boats



I don’t know Murray. You just must not have been paying attention. ;-)

That was a good article. I would only add that my experience with Trevor has also been exceptional. He was the broker for the 2010 NP43 that I bought used in 2016. He was fantastic to work with as a broker.

Despite the fact that I didn’t buy a new boat from him, he has always been available for any questions I have had. He responds to email very quickly and as near as I can tell treats me with the same level of respect and courtesy as he does those that buy new boats from him.

BandB 08-24-2019 06:25 PM

Murray clearly hasn't been keeping up with dhays. I think North Pacific is often overlooked even in the PNW. I never hear anyone in our area even mention them.

Sailor of Fortune 08-24-2019 06:47 PM

The only thing you hear about North Pacifics is happy customers and Trevors attention to owners and details. I know nothing about them, never boarded one but am impressed. Guys in Gainsville, Fl could use some lessons...

BandB 08-24-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune (Post 794918)
The only thing you hear about North Pacifics is happy customers and Trevors attention to owners and details. I know nothing about them, never boarded one but am impressed. Guys in Gainsville, Fl could use some lessons...

And integrity and honesty too.

jimdavi 08-24-2019 07:14 PM

Ditto comments about NP Yachts and dealer integrity. We have been shopping for trawlers for the last 5 years and kept coming back to the NP 45. Although not well known, everything is first class, pumps, finishes, 24 V thrusters with independent chargers, and other equipment etc. Love the ride, handling etc. My wife feels very safe at the helm. Ours is getting fitted with final equipment and we have a delivery captain driving it down from the Seattle area to SFO Oct 1st, depending on weather windows. You can get into a trawler spending less money, but will end up at the same price point by the time you add everything that already comes with the NP yacht. We eventually decided we wanted turn-key.

MurrayM 08-24-2019 07:30 PM

...and integral baffled fibreglass fuel tanks with access hatches on top...aluminum framing under hatches so will never sag/bind...solid fibreglass hull...Nida Core above...lots of elbow room around engine...removable panels with access to systems and wiring...cap rail is the only exterior teak...

BruceK 08-24-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayM (Post 794848)
Hey...how did the North Pacific 38 Sedan sneak past me for so long?

I've been grumbling for years here on TF about there being a lack of well built boats with a low *bling* factor for those who don't need/want opulence, and there's a company right here in BC with that (and having no dealer network or brokerage costs) as a founding principle :thumb: :thumb:

North Pacific Yachts - Knots and Boats

The NP 38 is effectively the Clipper 40 sold here. I communicated with Trevor, the principal of NP when trying to identify the builder of a "Pacific Trawler 40" for sale here, a clear predecessor/relative of the Clipper 40. He recognized the hull as out of the same factory NP and Clipper both use.
The Clipper 40 has a good rap here,so should the NP38 there. I`m investigating a C40 at present.

dirtdoc1 08-26-2019 12:42 PM

Full Disclosure After Two Years, 300 hours and 1600nm:

1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.
2) the main water pump went out because it wasn’t installed with the filter that comes with it, which I replaced
3) the blinds that came with the boat are nice but are constantly breaking at the pull string. Trevor has replaced 3 so far at no cost to me
4) the generator impeller died after almost 700 hours (I was told that’s about the life expectancy, which seems reasonable). I replaced it
5) the oven broiler doesn’t work. Dave (The mechanic that Trevor uses) talked to
Force10 and they said that it probably came from the factory that way. I haven’t talked to Trevor about it yet.
6) the boat does not like following seas and can feel top heavy in quartering/following seas. I don’t know whether it is any better or worse than any other trawler in those type of sea conditions but I have never felt in danger. Other than that specific sea condition the boat always feels very solid and well behaved.
That’s about it. The only thing that I would consider approaching major it the water leak. The boat performs well, is a solid build and all the major systems work when I need them. I have not been in a better built boat in regards to solid build and fit and finish.

Trevor has been great to work with and has even given me a ride across the boarder (a few times) to get my truck.

BandB 08-26-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 (Post 795513)
Full Disclosure After Two Years, 300 hours and 1600nm:

1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.
2) the main water pump went out because it wasn’t installed with the filter that comes with it, which I replaced
3) the blinds that came with the boat are nice but are constantly breaking at the pull string. Trevor has replaced 3 so far at no cost to me
4) the generator impeller died after almost 700 hours (I was told that’s about the life expectancy, which seems reasonable). I replaced it
5) the oven broiler doesn’t work. Dave (The mechanic that Trevor uses) talked to
Force10 and they said that it probably came from the factory that way. I haven’t talked to Trevor about it yet.
6) the boat does not like following seas and can feel top heavy in quartering/following seas. I don’t know whether it is any better or worse than any other trawler in those type of sea conditions but I have never felt in danger. Other than that specific sea condition the boat always feels very solid and well behaved.
That’s about it. The only thing that I would consider approaching major it the water leak. The boat performs well, is a solid build and all the major systems work when I need them. I have not been in a better built boat in regards to solid build and fit and finish.

Trevor has been great to work with and has even given me a ride across the boarder (a few times) to get my truck.

Great information. With your comment on following seas, I'm assuming it does not have stabilizers. Am I correct?

dhays 08-26-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 (Post 795513)
Full Disclosure After Two Years, 300 hours and 1600nm:



1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.


That is odd. I would suspect shower sump, freshwater washdown lines, water lines for the heads etc... It can be a pain to track down leaks like that. There are several techniques for tracing where the water is coming from. If you dry the bilge then try some of those you can get a sense of what direction it is coming from ie aft, forward, port, starboard and move on from there.

I spent two years trying to trace down a fresh water leak on my Catalina 400 before I finally found it.

Rebel112r 08-26-2019 02:44 PM

My 42 had a leak, it migrated to that same area, turned out to be gen set salt water line, leaking where it entered gen set. Frayed hose, lucky I found it. With following seas, changing speeds and checking autopilot settings may help. Steering by hand I have found makes the ride better, but gets old quickly. This applies for my boat when the seas get to 4 feet or so.

Rebel112r 08-26-2019 03:02 PM

Doc, 700 hrs on gen set, wow! I have less than 400 On my 2007 gen. I must be doing something wrong, 3000 on main! And I see you are in the harbor, looks like a sistership to yours over on the gated dock.

dirtdoc1 08-26-2019 07:41 PM

Brand - I have Bilge Keels not active stabilizers. Although after my following seas experience I will have active stabilizers by November.

dhays - I drained out the water and followed the trail of the incoming leak but didn't get very far. I agree that the source must be either the sump or water lines. I'll find the source one of these days!

Rebel, are you in Blaine? You always seem to know where I'm at. Vessel Tracker.com? Jimdavi just bought that cream colored 45. It's 4506. It has the larger fridge and some sweet built in solar panels on both roofs. Some of the newer 45's have the water tanks in the forward bilge making more room in the engine room. Trevor keeps improving!

In a day or two I'll be leaving for Montague. I spend much more time on the hook than I do in marinas. That's why the high hours on the genset but you already knew that. I'll be coming back to Bellingham to get the bottom painted and the Active Stabilizers installed. Then it's back to my home base at The Deckside Marina up the Fraser River for the winter. Although I'd like to move to Portland for the winter. I need to find a captain to help me on that trip since it will be my first time in open ocean and dealing with the entrance to the Columbia bar.

Cheers!

dhays 08-26-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 (Post 795705)
dhays - I drained out the water and followed the trail of the incoming leak but didn't get very far. I agree that the source must be either the sump or water lines. I'll find the source one of these days!


I had a problem with the shower sump leaking. I had not cleaned the sump in a while and it clogged the switch so it wouldn't float until the sump was almost full. By then, water was leaking out of the sump into the bilge. When the float finally kicked the shower sump pump on it would drain the sump. Every time I checked on the sump it looked fine until I was poking around trying to find the water source one time when my wife was taking a shower, Suddenly the leak became obvious. After cleaning the sump and switch and using Raritian C.P, in the shower drain after the days showers were done, I haven't had he problem since.

Codger2 08-26-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 (Post 795513)
Full Disclosure After Two Years, 300 hours and 1600nm:

1) water is getting in to the front bilge and they can’t find the source so I always have a few gallons of “fresh” water sloshing around down there.
2) the main water pump went out because it wasn’t installed with the filter that comes with it, which I replaced
3) the blinds that came with the boat are nice but are constantly breaking at the pull string. Trevor has replaced 3 so far at no cost to me
4) the generator impeller died after almost 700 hours (I was told that’s about the life expectancy, which seems reasonable). I replaced it
5) the oven broiler doesn’t work. Dave (The mechanic that Trevor uses) talked to
Force10 and they said that it probably came from the factory that way. I haven’t talked to Trevor about it yet.
6) the boat does not like following seas and can feel top heavy in quartering/following seas. I don’t know whether it is any better or worse than any other trawler in those type of sea conditions but I have never felt in danger. Other than that specific sea condition the boat always feels very solid and well behaved.
That’s about it. The only thing that I would consider approaching major it the water leak. The boat performs well, is a solid build and all the major systems work when I need them. I have not been in a better built boat in regards to solid build and fit and finish.

Trevor has been great to work with and has even given me a ride across the boarder (a few times) to get my truck.

I love this post! Thanks for your candor!:thumb:

BandB 08-26-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 795714)
I had a problem with the shower sump leaking. I had not cleaned the sump in a while and it clogged the switch so it wouldn't float until the sump was almost full. By then, water was leaking out of the sump into the bilge. When the float finally kicked the shower sump pump on it would drain the sump. Every time I checked on the sump it looked fine until I was poking around trying to find the water source one time when my wife was taking a shower, Suddenly the leak became obvious. After cleaning the sump and switch and using Raritian C.P, in the shower drain after the days showers were done, I haven't had he problem since.

Wifey B: So have Dave's wife come take a shower and you'll find the leak. :D

jimdavi 08-26-2019 08:09 PM

4506 “couples Retreat” is in Blaine getting systems added. Hoping to have Capt jack bring it down to SFO Oct 1st.

bogranjac1 08-27-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 (Post 627705)
That's interesting. I must use mine several times a day with making tea, reheating leftovers, coffee, etc.. I can't imagine life without it.

A wine rack would look good there. Hmm?

Making tea ???:eek: surely your joking ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012