Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Welcome Mat (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/)
-   -   Another Newbie, wanting to learn about trawlers (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/another-newbie-wanting-learn-about-trawlers-10720.html)

993guy 06-29-2013 09:29 PM

Another Newbie, wanting to learn about trawlers

Name is Bill, currently residing in Tenn. Born and spent the first 20+ yrs in Central Florida skiing, fishing and diving before spending 6 yrs. in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I've had the itch for several yrs to get back into boating and after a life changing event I may very well be doing it in the next year or so.

Very interested in trawlers, don't have the need for speed (at least not on the water) but do want to get back into fishing and diving. Thinking very seriously about live-aboard on a 40 - 45 boat but have much to learn before I'll be ready to make any decision (seriously considering Trawler Fest & University this Sept. in Balt.)

Look forward to conversing with the folks on the forum, hope I learn a few things.

beachbum29 06-30-2013 12:11 PM

Welcome

lonestar32 06-30-2013 04:15 PM

TrawlerFest and U. should serve you well. Best rules of thumb: 1) Give a lot of thought to how you will use the boat, how many will be aboard, how long, how far, etc. 2) Get a boat that fits the way you use it 90% of time, improvise for the 10%. Can't tell you how many second staterooms are never used but make the first stateroom too small! 3) Don't even think about buying a boat without a professional survey and sea trial as part of the process.

Victor_Chat 06-30-2013 08:36 PM

Welcome aboard

sea hag 06-30-2013 09:21 PM

Since in TN, come to AGLA at Joe Wheeler in Oct. great people, great info and Looper Crawl of boas there for comparison.

993guy 07-01-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks for the welcome folks. I still have lots of family in FL and go down there regularly. Quite a few in the Tampa/St Pete area so I'll have a chance to visit a few marinas when I'm down there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea hag (Post 165853)
Since in TN, come to AGLA at Joe Wheeler in Oct. great people, great info and Looper Crawl of boas there for comparison.

Thanks so much for this info, I've been looking for resources closer to (present) home, this is great.

993guy 07-01-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar32 (Post 165798)
TrawlerFest and U. should serve you well. Best rules of thumb: 1) Give a lot of thought to how you will use the boat, how many will be aboard, how long, how far, etc. 2) Get a boat that fits the way you use it 90% of time, improvise for the 10%. Can't tell you how many second staterooms are never used but make the first stateroom too small! 3) Don't even think about buying a boat without a professional survey and sea trial as part of the process.

I'm realistic enough to know I wouldn't be able to downsize too far, as much as I might like to. As for the survey, I've been involved with performance cars for quite a few years and we always recommend a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) for anyone wanting to buy one, there's no way I would buy a boat w/out a survey.

Thanks again for the tips.

Victor_Chat 07-02-2013 08:58 PM

All good information posted above. We did a lot of reading, online, magazines (Passagemaker is good), etc. There's so much information online these days, so that makes it easier, though you have to filter through a lot of it.

lonestar32 07-03-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993guy (Post 165924)
I'm realistic enough to know I wouldn't be able to downsize too far, as much as I might like to. As for the survey, I've been involved with performance cars for quite a few years and we always recommend a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) for anyone wanting to buy one, there's no way I would buy a boat w/out a survey.

Thanks again for the tips.

You bet. In mentioning "downsizing," you seem to be comparing a boat to a house or apartment - very problematic! :-) - not the same beast at all, as you must pay for, maintain, dock and navigate the boat. Just a friendly caution from one who's cruised a 40 footer! Yes, a boat is always too small when you are living on it and too big when you are paying for it!
Good luck.

993guy 07-05-2013 08:57 AM

Was perusing through other threads and stumbled on one mentioning the Florida Sailing and Cruising School

Florida Sailing Cruising and Trawler School Learn to sail vacations, boat handling lessons on sailboats, trawlers and powerboats.

anyone else recommend the school or have another recommendation? Would prefer to stay Gulf Coast or East Coast.

beachbum29 07-05-2013 09:01 AM

Chapman in Stuart has a good reputation.

993guy 07-05-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum29 (Post 166599)
Chapman in Stuart has a good reputation.

Thanks.

For others it's Chapman School of Seamanship - Chapman