Vandalism, or just people being rude?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the fume detectors went off on our boat while it was docked at a marina in St Augustine and I was home in VA (It's happened a couple of times in the past when the battery charger goes into the bulk charging mode right after turning it on and causes a bit of hydrogen to set the alarm off). The live-aboard in the slip next to me didn't want the boat to blow up or sink but after a couple of hours of not knowing what the alarm was, they deduced no explosions or sinkings were imminent but grew tired of the alarm. They went onboard and reset it & they had their piece of mind and also their piece and quiet. Since I always try to be courteous with anything I do (grass cutting/yard work in the early morning/evening/cocktail hour),I've got no problems with anyone doing what it takes to exercise their right to quiet if my property is the cause and I'm not there to fix it. Same thing with my land neighbors mound-type septic system. They aren't full time neighbors and after a heavy rain, the high-level alarm constantly sounds. I've go no problem pushing their silence button to regain my solitude. If they had a problem with me traipsing through their yard (they don't), I'd recommend running the alarm to inside of their house so only they can hear it when they're home and not the neighborhood.

I didn’t mean to get everyone upset but I guess I should have told the entire story. Hopefully the moderators will let my explanation stand. Sorry.

Nothing to apologize for. Besides, a raging keyboard warrior working themselves up into a lather is hilariously entertaining to witness.

Wow. Easy to share with another yachtsman/yachtswoman that you would love to have them secure their halyards because the slapping makes sleeping a little more challenging. But you NEVER have the “right” to board someone else’s yacht. And frankly have grown up aboard ocean racing yachts from 24’ to 97’, yes sir, there will be slapping halyards. Get used to them. It used to be music to the ears of true yachtsmen. So sorry for you. “Nouveau Bateau”????????

...yes sir, there will be slapping halyards. Get used to them. It used to be music to the ears of true yachtsmen. So sorry for you. “Nouveau Bateau”????????

The "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

I knew a guy who would run the offending halyards up to the to of the mast to stop the slapping.

It's just sloppy seamanship to let halyards bang against your mast. It can wear on the halyards and mast both. The way to stop it is not to tie them off with bungie cords. They should be tied off fore and aft, far away from any contact with any rigging.

When I had a sailboat I was careful to tie off my halyards but there were at least half a dozen times in the last 30 years where something came loose, stretched, or I forgot. If there's no wind it's easy to miss a loose halyard as everything is quiet.

I don't think that makes me uncaring.

I very much appreciate someone tightening a halyard or adjusting a dock line or fender - there was a time when the marina would watch over boats but that's mostly gone.

In the same spirit I will fix things on my neighbor's boat - or even lend them one of my spare docklines if needed. I've done this for 30 years and never had a compaint. It often wins me a bottle of Scotch.

I know there are some who sputter about getting sued but this doesn't happen in the real world. I have never heard of anyone getting sued for helping protect a neighbor's property.

Last edited:
Wow! When we feel like our rights are being disrespected we get touchy. It should be a universal given that everyone gets treated decently and respectfully even if we have different religions, skin colors etc etc. Unfortunately we are lucky to have that expectation.

What is pretty cool though is that it actually happens a lot.

For me the original 'trigger' was teaching them a lesson that they didn't ask for and the punitive part of knotting up their halyard. With the later explanation it made more sense but still...unless the halyard had already been looped around the spreaders a few times and the owner ignored the help.

I've tied off lots of halyards. In two cases I had to change shoes to make sure I kept the decks clean. I've used short lengths of line so the owner would absolutely know someone added them in to stop the slapping.

Being respectful towards people (even if you don't feel like they deserve it) is the big key. If you are calling someone an idiot while you are helping them that isn't being respectful and just causes hard feelings. I've been guilty of that sort of behavior and I have to admit that, in my opinion at least, it 'helped'.

It seems clear that genuinely helping by tying off a halyard or securing a screen door is okay. Using dry wall screws on the door or wearing golf shoes on someones boat while you secure the halyard is 'not' being helpful.

But here is my little story of being a jerk when someone else was a jerk (they started it!). New couple of guys moved an older powerboat a few slips down from me. They had a dog. They sanded without a vacuum (note my background info that supports my side of the story :) They played loud music. Their dog pooped on the dock and I asked them to clean it up which they did. Happened again and again I asked them to clean it up. This time I pointed out that if they were going to let their dog wander the dock they should wander the dock to make sure they didn't miss any poop. A rainy and windy night there soon after I jumped into the cockpit of my boat and took off my wet shoes - fortunately before I went inside. I ended up with a hand full of dog poop. With my remaining clean hand I grabbed my flashlight, spotted the rest of the poop and I scooped it up with my already gross hand. Then I stomped with one shoe on down the dock to their boat and smooshed that dog poop all over the lock and door latch. Then I used their hose to clean off my hand and the dirty shoe in their cockpit. Two days later they were on a different dock and they kept their dog tied up.

Personally I think the dog poop was worse than a lot of knots in a halyard but not as bad as using drywall screws to stop a banging screen door. I think it is a bummer that it took me being a jerk to get them to be responsible dog owners and I resent being put in that position. I didn't even like having to approach them the first time to ask them to clean up behind their dog.

Now I don't even know what I was thinking when I started writing this...

You don't keep nitrile gloves on board?

Sorry. I’m out. I should never have gotten involved. Bad on me. Adios. My experiences have no value here. I should have known.

Sorry. I’m out. I should never have gotten involved. Bad on me. Adios. My experiences have no value here. I should have known.

It's not that your experiences have no value, they are just a few in the big pot of experience a lot of others have here.

Plus, if one doesn't like clanging halyards, they don't have to get over it..... as there are solutions to get them to stop slapping.

I was a fool to get involved here. It is always the same.Everyone knows everything, and no one wants to learn or listen. I’m cool. Back to running next 150, 000 miles on board. Whatever. My fault. I learned a long time ago to shut up and let the experts tell everything.

OUT.

I was a fool to get involved here. It is always the same.Everyone knows everything, and no one wants to learn or listen. I’m cool. Back to running next 150, 000 miles on board. Whatever. My fault. I learned a long time ago to shut up and let the experts tell everything.

OUT.

To me it seems you have ended at least a couple of your thread discussions with the same (just reread all your posts) flavor....only your experience counts and you sign off in disgust.

Not a winning attitude around here.

Express whatever you want but that doesn't mean others with loads of experience can't disagree without you. Claiming this as a bad site or everyone else is a know-it-all seems a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
As to the thread title:

Fixing someone's banging halyard because it is making you crazy is NEITHER vandalism or rude!

OUT.

You've been busy the past 4-1/2 years. Added the equivalent of 3 more circumnavigation to your sea time!!!

Peter

Screenshot_20230505_164130_Photos~2.jpg

I’m out and your texts are plain weird. Good on all of you. Wow. All the best. You guys must be amazing. Wow

I bet you aren't out. Pretty sure you are in till you feel you have won.

Just my opinion of course

Last edited:
I know you have a lot of experience, how about radio procedure and the term "out"? :D

Greetings,
C'mon guys, chill.

200.gif

No internet social media, verbal donnybrook is going to change anyone's minds. Don't ask me how I know.

Greetings,
C'mon guys, chill.

200.gif

No internet social media, verbal donnybrook is going to change anyone's minds. Don't ask me how I know.

It is still fun when the other guy throws the gauntlet down.

So far no really mean spirited posts. :devil:

Plus....Gotta love Northern Spy's posts.... :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
The manager was a good friend of mine so I didn’t have any problem with his telling me to take care of it. And the guy finally got the message and started taking care of it. So it worked out well in the end.

I am sure others attempting to sleep silently thanked you. I have boarded a couple and tied back their halyards with duct tape. Always seems to be day sailors who never sleep onboard.

It is not just bothersome. It is impossible to sleep and lack of sleep can be dangerous to anyone with health issues.

Last edited:
This thread has become a banging halyard [emoji8]

Luv to all and peace be with you…

Wow. Easy to share with another yachtsman/yachtswoman that you would love to have them secure their halyards because the slapping makes sleeping a little more challenging. But you NEVER have the “right” to board someone else’s yacht. And frankly have grown up aboard ocean racing yachts from 24’ to 97’, yes sir, there will be slapping halyards. Get used to them. It used to be music to the ears of true yachtsmen. So sorry for you. “Nouveau Bateau”????????

Then with that logic you will not mind if I run my generator all night.

So I was in Crisfield for 3 very breezey days. The sailboat next to me was beating a tune on the mast. Apparently it wasn't enough to keep me awake. Was fun reading this thread and considering appropriate action. Leaving Thursday morning seemed the best solution.

Ted

While annoying, I would not go onto somebody else's boat to fiddle with the rigging.
For us, it seems that when this noise occurs, it's occurring on just about every sailboat in the marina at the same time. Shall we call it something like "a chorus" of halyards"??? Daytime solution is to crank up the stereo when cozy inside on such windy days. Nighttime solution is to use earplugs.

Back
Top Bottom