Value of a Captain's Door?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VanBrudenship

I am looking for 30-35' ft FAST Trawler/Cruiser boats and will be singlehanding most of the time; spending most of the time on the water from October to May in the SE. There are few boats out there that have this option. I see so many benefits, not only for docking. Am I overvaluing this as an option? What do you all think, especially those that have it.

BTW, my current "must have" list is: true 12+ knot cruise, Captain's door, Flybridge & lower helm, cockpit (fishing and diving), diesel twins (not Volvos), ability to sleep four, auto-pilot. People will say you have to compromise but I would rather wait than get something I am not going to thrilled with. I have a boat that I currently enjoying.

Sabreline (Sabre) and Califorian seem to be the most common that check the boxes but not many others?

I have a Jeanneau Velesco 43, twin Cummins, (2014) about 23 knots wide open, door at lower helm, fly-bridge. I think Benetaeu might have a similar layout. I stayed away from Volvo IPS myself. It has been fine with typical annoyances, but the major systems are common, Dometic, Whale, Jabsco etc. Parts easy to find and my yard can work on any of it that I can't or don't want to.

What is the configuration of the boat you currently have and enjoy? There are frequently prospective trawler owners who come to this forum with a must have list, certain to buy the perfect boat but they just don't have any practical experience to assure them of their priorities. Since you already have a boat, I would assume you have some experience to base your desired features on.

That said, I would look at the region you are planning to boat in, find other owners who use their boats similarly and observe what style of boat is most common among them. There is usually a good reason that certain styles of boat are more prevalent in one area than another. It sounds like a sportfish would tick most of your boxes with the exception of lower helm and flybridge. Lower helms are more common on some of the older production sportfish boats but I can't think of any with a lower helm door. Some Downeast style boats have sliding doors at the helm but these boats rarely have flybridges. These openings are generally to allow reaching through to grab a dock line, mooring ball pennant or handle an anchor while remaining on the cabin sole. You could step up onto the side deck, but it is a large step up as the side deck is level with the gunnel and not recessed below like most cruising trawlers.

Last edited:
Regarding a door at the helm, it's a great feature for single handing, especially locking and docking. Like having side decks or not, you learn to adapt with what you have. As boats get bigger, going towards the stern in the cabin, to get to the bow, adds time in rushed situations.

If you choose a boat without a helm door, make sure you can adequately reach the wheel, throttle, shift, and bow thruster control ( if equipped) through the side window.

Ted

I am looking for 30-35' ft FAST Trawler/Cruiser boats and will be singlehanding most of the time; spending most of the time on the water from October to May in the SE. There are few boats out there that have this option. I see so many benefits, not only for docking. Am I overvaluing this as an option? What do you all think, especially those that have it.

BTW, my current "must have" list is: true 12+ knot cruise, Captain's door, Flybridge & lower helm, cockpit (fishing and diving), diesel twins (not Volvos), ability to sleep four, auto-pilot. People will say you have to compromise but I would rather wait than get something I am not going to thrilled with. I have a boat that I currently enjoying.

Sabreline (Sabre) and Califorian seem to be the most common that check the boxes but not many others?

Seems to me the Mainship 350/390 might have all that... although I'm not sure about cruise and planing speeds.

??

-Chris

I've never heard it called a "captain's door". There's a new one. Certainly helps when docking short-handed to be able to reach the deck quickly, but it's not absolutely required.

As long as you are not concerned about cost of fuel used there are many boats 30-35 able to run at 12 knots (at about 75% of max).
I do not think many of them have captains doors. But in that size boat while handy, I cannot imagine a need to have.

Regarding a door at the helm, it's a great feature for single handing, especially locking and docking. Like having side decks or not, you learn to adapt with what you have. As boats get bigger, going towards the stern in the cabin, to get to the bow, adds time in rushed situations.

If you choose a boat without a helm door, make sure you can adequately reach the wheel, throttle, shift, and bow thruster control ( if equipped) through the side window.

Ted
Reaching thru the window, didn't even think of that nor have I seen anyone do that. Diligence required but... Great advice.

Reaching thru the window, didn't even think of that nor have I seen anyone do that. Diligence required but... Great advice.
On my single engine charter boat it was pretty easy to put a bow line on the piling. Then swing the wheel to port and go forward and reverse to push the stern to starboard against a bulkhead.

Ted

Seems to me the Mainship 350/390 might have all that... although I'm not sure about cruise and planing speeds.

??

-Chris
Even David Pascoe liked this model, a rarity. One major problem with this boat is the small rudder and single screw which results in severe prop walk making reverse a real challenge. One other problem is it's LOA is a few inches shy of 40 ft.

Current thrusters allow you to pin against a dock then handle lines. Various remotes allow you to control thrusters and engines. While home used a marina in RI. There had a pier neighbor running a 45’ sportfish by himself. Truly an amazing boat handler. Would dock stern first then go to neutral. Come down off his lower tower controls to the very basic station in the aft fighting cockpit. From there make his adjustments. Then would lasso a dock cleat and secure to his stern corner. Would leave one engine in forward low idle. Then secure the rest of his lines and shut down. Do the whole thing without leaving his boat. There was a finger every other boat. He never touched his neighbor. Truly a delight to watch. Obviously this is doable with even a good sized sportfish but I would think also a down east or cruiser with twins or if a single if the handedness of the prop was suitable to the docking side.
Agree with you doors from the pilot house are a joy. Often can open both and the aft cockpit/saloon door. Thereby avoid the need for AC. Rapidly ventilates the whole boat and you can even do it most times if it’s raining. Don’t like asymmetric layouts.

Your pier neighbor sounds like quite the captain. I'm looking for easy and problem free. I'll wait for a boat with the captain's door, I could imagine falling over reaching thru the window and hitting the throttles and ending up on a viral video smashing boats in the marina. I plan on being on the boat fall-winter-spring which is when winds most prevalent and strong. Better safe than sorry.

A mid 2000’s Mainship 34 would meet most of your requirements, lower helm with captain’s door, fly bridge, single or twin yanmars, decent cruise speed.

I am looking for 30-35' ft FAST Trawler/Cruiser boats and..... Am I overvaluing this as an option?

In my opinion, yes, you're overvaluing a side door. It will unnecessarily limit your choices in the 30-35 foot range boat.

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Regardless, best success in finding your dream boat. I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with whatever you decide.

Peter

When I was first looking at moving from a sailboat to a trawler, one of my requirements was a full walk-around deck. Second requirement was the lack of a flybridge. I ended up getting a boat without walk-around decks and a flybridge.

My point is to try and be open as you look. You may be surprised. With your speed requirement, your options will be somewhat limited.

I'm with Ted... if single handing is a high priority a helm door will make it lots easier. You may need to prioritize your musts and rank your wants to decide where best to compromise to suit your style of cruising.
My MS is a single but the prop tunnel cancels much of the prop walk. I do have B & S thrusters and I installed the wireless remote which has come in handy while locking, and docking and would be an aid to single handing... something that could be added if you found the otherwise ideal boat.

I'm with Ted... if single handing is a high priority a helm door will make it lots easier. You may need to prioritize your musts and rank your wants to decide where best to compromise to suit your style of cruising.
My MS is a single but the prop tunnel cancels much of the prop walk. I do have B & S thrusters and I installed the wireless remote which has come in handy while locking, and docking and would be an aid to single handing... something that could be added if you found the otherwise ideal boat.
Can remotes be added to existing thrusters or do you have to get a whole new controller?

When I was first looking at moving from a sailboat to a trawler, one of my requirements was a full walk-around deck. Second requirement was the lack of a flybridge. I ended up getting a boat without walk-around decks and a flybridge.

My point is to try and be open as you look. You may be surprised. With your speed requirement, your options will be @

In my opinion, yes, you're overvaluing a side door. It will unnecessarily limit your choices in the 30-35 foot range boat.

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Regardless, best success in finding your dream boat. I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with whatever you decide.

Peter
I've NOT made up my mind with certainty. Engines are also part of the equation (let's not go there!). I know I am severely limiting my search parameters but I've done a lot of thinking, reading, talking with people, and am in no rush.

Flybridge - extremely helpful navigating shallow water and areas with shoaling and it's just fun riding up there.
Twin Diesels - expect to be remote areas and want a backup, and considering potential engine failure in canals, inlets, or other tight places add in bad weather to that too.
10-12+ knot cruise - will be flying out to boat and don't have time to putz around and dawdle too much underway - same with autopilot. Still prioritize the adventure not the destination.
Captain's door - I expect to use the lower helm more than most and the door provides ventilation, access, and a margin of safety dealing with various task and such, and of course docking and getting underway.
Less than 40' One of my good friends manages a huge marina and has a captains license for some tonnage amount and delivers boats. His point is: There are fair more slips under 40', they are easier to get especially transient slips 40+. He may be wrong but I've heard this from many people. One day I may have a 40+ footer but not now.

Some boats have a short distance from the lower helm to the side decks, looked at one boat with a lower helm, cockpit station, and flybridge (Cuttyhunk) but on the wrong coast. Some boats like Albin 32+2 or the 34 have a raised helm but I don't like the lines (sorry). Love the Roughwater 37, no door. Camano only Volvos. Lots of options but much to consider. I'd rather have less "oh shat" moments these days. Nothing wrong with being picky...

Greatly appreciate all the input. Thank you folks!

Last edited:
Lots of these made by smaller boat manufacturers like Jarvis Newman, Duffy, Cuttyhunk, Webbers Cove, JC, Nauset, Ellis, Wilbur, Fortier, so many boats out there and then add in the Taiwanese ones. Just a matter of time when the right one comes up on the right right coast.

Can remotes be added to existing thrusters or do you have to get a whole new controller?
On my SidePower it was a plug. & play addition. I did need a wiring harness to allow placement a little away from other electronics but rather easy. If it's a Sidezpower let me know as there was a trick that helped.

I have a flush-step lower helm door. (Are you not the captain when running from the upper helm where there is NO door?? ;) )

To me, it is invaluable. I got on and off docks from there and I pick-up mooring balls single-handed from there as well. I dock with one foot in and one foot out and can see the entire length of the boat. I moved the bow thruster control to the Stbd side of the helm, to make it easier to reach. Plus, the midship cleat is right there at your door.

When docking, my wife is at the stern (stbd quarter). She jumps off and ties the stern line, then runs forward. As she passes me, I hand her the bow line which is run from the bow cleat to me by the door. On the way back I hand her the spring line which is tied to my midship. seamless. With the stern tied, I can blip the bow thruster toward the dock until she has to bow tied.

I added a remote to the Sidepower thruster I installed on our last boat, fairly easy. The SideShift thrusters I installed in our current boat came witha remote as standard equipment. Love the remote. I can stand on the dock and move the boat closer if the wind has moved it off the dock, not as quick as I used to be…

Back
Top Bottom