Tool set for small diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may not apply but one reason I suggested wait untill you have bought your new to you boat is the difference in tools needed boat by boat.

I used to work in plastic injection moulding plants.
We had U.S. built machines, German & Austrian built machines, Japanese built machines and one Chinese.

-Of course the US used inch fasteners but sometimes with either 6 or 12 pt heads.
-THe German/Austrian machines used metric but the odd sizes, 11,13,15,and so on millimeters

-The Japanese also used metric BUT they went with even millimeter sizing.

Of course all of them used Allen head fasteners but with the same even/odd sizing.

THe boat itself will require some of its own types of tools. Pipe wrench
Screwdrivers of course, nut drivers, adjustable wrenches,

So look at what you need for your new to you boat or you may find you don't have quite the kit needed for your boat.

If you have a tool kit at home see what you can raid from it and then as needed fill in for the boat and take the raided tools home.

And yes get decent quality tools.

I filled in a lot of may gaps by frequenting the pawn shops. THey of course had a huge range of mfgrs. offerings. Junk Chinese, becoming decent Taiwanese, Proto, Snap on, Craftsman, etc..

There are other good mfgrs who are now gone so be aware.

JMO

….

And most important.. NEVER buy a tool which is advertised to take the place of 10 tools in your toolbox! …

pete

Agree, except for the 6 in one Klein screwdriver [emoji847]

IMG_9946.jpg

Last edited:
Harbor freight tools are invaluable and fit into some really unique places. I've had to cut and weld various wrenches, bend them at funny angles, grind sockets to ultra thin profiles, all manner of crazy things to various tools.

I've also dropped bunches of various tools overboard on accident when, working on bow roller, fixing a dinghy motor in the water, tapping holes on the side of my boat for the flopper stoppers.

I'm all for fancy tools, but let's be realistic here. I find statements like "NEVER BUY CHEAP TOOLS" as pretty comical. I think the real answer to tools aboard involves a good mix of cheap and fancy.

Greetings,
Mr. bk. I'm also a big fan of "cheap tools" for the very reasons you provided. Had to change the rear transmission oil seal and rather than use a cold chisel and hammer as the previous "mechanic" had done, opted to buy a cheap 2 3/4" socket and breaker bar. I think I paid about $35 all in. A Snap-On socket or similar would probably have cost $100+. A tool I was only going to use once. PLUS it was guaranteed.

As you note, there IS most definitely a place for the "best" but that is not always the case.

Harbor freight tools are invaluable and fit into some really unique places. I've had to cut and weld various wrenches, bend them at funny angles, grind sockets to ultra thin profiles, all manner of crazy things to various tools.

I've also dropped bunches of various tools overboard on accident when, working on bow roller, fixing a dinghy motor in the water, tapping holes on the side of my boat for the flopper stoppers.

I'm all for fancy tools, but let's be realistic here. I find statements like "NEVER BUY CHEAP TOOLS" as pretty comical. I think the real answer to tools aboard involves a good mix of cheap and fancy.

:thumb: Each has it's place.

I’m getting ready to take the plunge and purchase either a sailboat or trawler. I have no previous experience with marine diesel engines. I want to be able to properly maintain and troubleshoot any problems that may come up as I wish to go to those remote beautiful spots with out the fear of being stranded. Can anyone suggest a list of tools or a tool kit set that provides what would be required to take care of most situations?
Thanks for your help !

I am the same way "no previous experience with marine diesel engines." Except for the past 2 years owning this boat.

I had a mechanic before launching the first time come down and go over things. As the saying goes, it was priceless. He recommended adding things and showing me how to do normal maintenance. Not to get into it, but it was very good money spent!

You will need all the basic tools and than in time add or remove the tools that are needed.

I would highly recommend the book by Nigel Calder: Marine Diesel Engines.

Back
Top Bottom