Surveyor’s Tale & Boatyard Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garbler

Guru
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
Was hired to survey a customized Pettigrow 56’ ‘Downeast ‘ style motor yacht. A very handsome boat of this pedigree that came up on the market suddenly due to owners health. The owner had the boat built in Maine but after two seasons of running the Intercoastal back and forth from nice homes in Bradenton, Florida and Falmouth Foreside Maine he had come to the end. My client was an ascending yacht club member in Marblehead, MA who had a string of nice yachts but needed more footage anticipating the commodore position.

We arrived in Tampa and across the big bridge to Bradenton where the vessel was awaiting. It would be a two day survey with onboard deck and interior inspection first day then sea trials early the next and then haul out and underbody inspection. The party included the buyer, his wife, an elegant woman of old New England money, and his broker from Alden’s in Boston.

Everything was going smoothly with a few problems on deck then some soft spots found around the forward cabin port lights. The vessel was apparently well maintained from what I’d se3n so far. Then we ran into small problem with the galley FW pump. It ran but would not pump. The seller’s broker went to the yard and reported this problem and they sent this ‘ technician ‘ to come down to the boat and see about the problem. He was wearing trunks and flip flops but his most distinguishing feature was his ear rings, nose ring and blurry tattoos. He tried the pump then got down and crawled under the counter where he shocked me, the buyers wife, everybody as he had no underwear on and laying on his back his whole package hung out for all to see. I can’t really describe the reaction of those present as I had to turn around to control laughing but soon figured I better contain myself as everybody stormed off the boat. I’d never ever seen anything as classless as this then next day we met the sea trial skipper. What a piece of work this guy was. Wearing shorts with no shirt, all kinds of chains and ornaments hanging around his neck then when he smiled he adorned us with a big sparkling rhinestone mounted in or on his front tooth. Anyway the rules of conduct don’t always apply everywhere.

Rick

You mean all boat yards aren’t like that…

Yeah, but did he fix the pump?

As I recall the pump was toast but it’s been around twenty-five years since that episode. I do recall after sea trials the MAN engines were a bit smoky and we never really got full RPM’s. Not knowing much about MAN’s I recorded all gauge readings and the turbo boost readings were apparently low. My buyer and his broker requested all service records as this yard was reported by the owner as responsible for everything mechanical. Well the Turbo’s were way past their service life so a price reduction ensued. MAN turbos aren’t cheap

Rick

Rules of conduct? Rules of attire, maybe. Other than what you considered an inappropriate appearance, did the sea trial skipper conduct himself in any inappropriate way? Doesn't sound like it.

We tend to be pretty casual about attire, here in Florida. I'll grant you that letting your junk hang out for everyone to see is definitely not appropriate anywhere, but other than that, wearing shorts, flip-flops, no shirt (when outdoors) is all pretty standard and acceptable.

Greetings,
Matthew 7:1 KJV.

iu

Clothes make the man/woman. Although a certain amount of latitude can be expected in certain areas and certain industries. (Florida, Hollywood,computer engineers) Maybe I am old school, old fashioned, wait, I am definately old school, old fashioned.

Encountering a situation like this would probably have resulted in me leaving or lowballing an offer.

pete

Really no worse than much of the "plumber's crack" I have seen in a lifetime.

The best was a blonde "Wonder Woman" figure, female Bell Tel telephone tech whose tool belt helped showed more of a little of the pink thong she was wearing than I think she knew was. Meant a lot more back in my better years...of course when I said Bell Tel tech I was already dating the story. :D

Last edited:
Back in the 80's I worked during college at a watersports facility in Mission Bay that taught sailing among other things. We had one of the instructors named Clint who was a bit of a bohemian type and didn't believe in wearing underwear. Mind you, this was the era of Dolphin shorts to put this in perspective.... One day Clint was taking a nice group out for a lesson on one of the smaller boats and he was being pushed off the dock buy our resident comedian dockhand. Said dockhand let Clint and everyone else onboard know that Clint's brains were hanging out. We all fell down laughing.

Last edited:
A dock neighbor here in FL almost never wears a shirt. He has a nice physique so not objectionable. However, he’s inviting skin cancer/melanoma. I feel guilty not saying something and also think it’s not my business. I can’t believe he doesn’t know the risk. What do you folks think.

Greetings,
Mr. hm. I think some people are less susceptible to melanomas (genes). Leave him be. My BIL goes shirtless a LOT in the FL sun and I've never mentioned it to him.

Me? Long sleeves, brimmed hat with back flap and long pants. Will be looking for a neck gaiter and gloves next trip down. Not so much worried about cancer as severe sunburn. I'm a pale delicate creature...don't ya know.

iu

We had an old California guy on the dock that wore a very worn loose speedo everyday on the dock, at least till two gals collapsed in laughter as he walked by. He never did it again.

What a piece of work this guy was. Wearing shorts with no shirt, all kinds of chains and ornaments hanging around his neck then when he smiled he adorned us with a big sparkling rhinestone mounted in or on his front tooth. Anyway the rules of conduct don’t always apply everywhere.

Rick

Welcome to the new America.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom