salvage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marklv

I have a Kha Shing 40' Trawler which I have spent considerable money on in the last 2 years. The Volvo tama 250C engines are good and have low hours, the stbd water pump has been replaced, the bottom is newly painted and is in great shape. The shafts were trued and the stuffing boxes have been serviced and are in good shape. The engines need all new hoses but are otherwise OK. There are several leaks that need some attention. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it...I'm not ready to spend another 10-20K to try to sell it for 20K. Does anyone have any ideas? If I decide to 'part it out' is that feasible? Is there a market for those engines? Help!

List it for 25,000, get talked down to 20,000 and everyone is happy. It sounds like it is in better shape than most budget trawlers out there asking more $$$.

I think that's the best starting point. Selling it whole would be the cleanest exit, and it sounds like financially you could ultimately go very low on the price. I just wouldn't start out too low or you signal that the boat is junk. I think Charlie's numbers are a good starting point.

In parallel you could advertise the motors for sale and see what you get. But I expect they will be harder to sell than the whole boat. Plus they will need to be removed, transported, etc., and you will then have a hull that you will have to pay to scrap.

You might also start to investigate the coast to scrap it. I don't know if there are companies that will do that, or if you need to hire an excavator to crush it up and a bunch of dumpsters to haul it away.

I think this is the unfortunately reality of boats as they age out. They will never be worth more than the money that needs to go into them, so they effectively have zero value. I think as you work through this you need to seriously consider just scrapping it right away to cap your losses, possibly holding out the engines for separate sale. You would separate them out anyway because you can get paid for scrap metal, vs having to pay to get rid of fiberglass and wood. And removing the engines will be easy as part of breaking down the boat. Just rip off the top sides, hook a chain to it, and pull it out.

This is all good advice. There are many "Do it yourselfers" out there that may find what you see as a big money expense, an excuse to do some work they are expert at and have a nice boat for a very good price. I sold a boat exactly that way. Much better than trying to salvage it. Good luck

I am not a fan of 'parting out' a boat. There is a significant amount of labor, even if DIY that you won't recoup. Even if you make some decent money on the engines, you will have a lot of parts that you will be storing and selling on E-Bay and Craig's list for years.

Ok, so you have the big stuff sold and the small stuff removed, cleaned and inventoried. You still have to dispose of the hulk. That 22,000 pounds of debris will be costly to haul and dump.

Sell it whole. There are thousands of "All that needs is a little wax and some elbow grease" guys out there to pass the dream onto with much less time and effort on your part.

Last edited:
Make a for sale post with pictures and information.
Post it here on the boats for sale.
Then post it on facebook trawler specific page and get ready for the email avalanche.

You may get people offering interesting trades also.

Curious as to the location of the boat.

Good Luck!!

As mentioned way easier than parting out and you still have the hull and leftovers to dispose of.

If parting out, I agree with the advice that the last part you are stuck with (the hull/deck/house) which you may have to dispose of yourself could be more expensive than you thought.

It may not be...... but better find out up front.....

I have an uncle who years ago bought a 26 foot wooden boat (no engine), had it hauled to his house, blocked it up in the backyard and made it into a playhouse for the grand kids.
Or maybe turn it into an air BandB in the back "forty".
Assuming you have space and don't violate county/city codes.

But seriously, selling it complete as is, being honest about the condition, would be your best bet.

GOOD LUCK!!!

If parting out, I agree with the advice that the last part you are stuck with (the hull/deck/house) which you may have to dispose of yourself could be more expensive than you thought.

It may not be...... but better find out up front.....

I have a friend who cut up a Bayliner with a sawzall and put into his weekly trash pickup. Took a few months but he didn't have to pay anything extra.
BUT it was only a 21 foot boat.

Boat scrappers get their income from the parts they can sell. The hull gets crushed. If you sell the parts, then there's no value for a scrapper. You will own the derelict hull forever.

Get the engines running and you might have a saleable boat. Hoses are not expensive. Then take the first offer that comes along. If you take a loss you take a loss. The market will set the price.

I'd say just clean it up and sell it. People are always looking for a value that will fit their budget. No everyone can afford the perfect problem free boat. People have to make concessions to align to their financial situations so maybe your boat with a few leaks will be a good fit for someone. It may be a way for them to get into a 40 foot boat vs. a smaller leak free boat. Some of your competition will be boats that are dirty and cluttered with crap from the 1980s. If you have the ability to clean, shine and declutter that may be enough to get a sale to go through. As for pricing I'd list a bit below a similar boat that looks worse than yours.

If the engines work the boat can be sold.

There is good money in the car recycling business. Car recyclers are everywhere. They pay so much for the wrecks that the back yard car repair guys can rarely compete with them. (Youtube guys make money off the video's)

The same is not true for boats. There are no Boat recyclers. Why? Because there is no money in it.

There however is always someone who thinks they can buy a fixer upper and save money. While this is rarely true, it doesn't stop the dreamers from buying junk boats.

Yes, sell it cheap and fast.

I've sold many old cars on Craig's list for under a grand. They go real fast.

First question - "Does it run"...yup

"I'll be right over"

I have a Kha Shing 40' Trawler which I have spent considerable money on in the last 2 years. The Volvo tama 250C engines are good and have low hours, the stbd water pump has been replaced, the bottom is newly painted and is in great shape. The shafts were trued and the stuffing boxes have been serviced and are in good shape. The engines need all new hoses but are otherwise OK. There are several leaks that need some attention. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it...I'm not ready to spend another 10-20K to try to sell it for 20K. Does anyone have any ideas? If I decide to 'part it out' is that feasible? Is there a market for those engines? Help!
There is a market for these boats. List it don’t part it.

I just wouldn't start out too low or you signal that the boat is junk.

Amen. Many years ago, a friend had an old pickup he wanted to unload. It was bit dented-up but a strong runner. He was moving and wanted it out of his yard. So he advertised it in the weekend newspaper (remember those days?) for $150 - dirt cheap. Not so much as a call. The following weekend he listed it for $700. Sold by 9AM Saturday morning and his phone rang off the hook all weekend.

Peter

There is a guy on youtube telling the world that he bought his trawler for $25,000 and you can too. He targets the loop group and used to make a new video about once a quarter or so. If your boat can make it to the ICW perhaps a new would like to loop person would be interested. Everytime I go to a meetup there are several people looking for an inexpensive trawler, many are do-it-yourselfers who would like a project.

MIke

who sent me a PM?

Thanks to everyone for their input! She's going back in the water in a week or so...when the engines fire up she'll be seriously for sale. Some said "sent you a PM" but I don't know where to find a PM. My email is markvlargeverdicts@gmail.com
Again thanks to you all!
Mark Valentine

Thanks to everyone for their input! She's going back in the water in a week or so...when the engines fire up she'll be seriously for sale. Some said "sent you a PM" but I don't know where to find a PM. My email is markvlargeverdicts@gmail.com
Again thanks to you all!
Mark Valentine

Upper right hand corner, just under your log in name is “Private Messages”.

private message?

Hey Chuck,
I'm not showing any unread PMs. The best way to get me as by email (markvlargeverdicts@gmail.com) or text/phone @ 919 623 2563. I'd ask that you text me first so I'll know to take your call.
Thanks!
Mark Valentine

Hey Chuck,
I'm not showing any unread PMs. The best way to get me as by email (markvlargeverdicts@gmail.com) or text/phone @ 919 623 2563. I'd ask that you text me first so I'll know to take your call.
Thanks!
Mark Valentine

I didn’t send one…just letting you know where to look.

Back
Top Bottom