Replacing sight tube with fuel gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sequana

We have a 40 year old Grand Banks 32 with no fuel or water gauges. Does anyone have experience replacing fuel sight tubs with gauges?

Take a look at the Tank Tender system.

I had it on my last boat and was very happy with it.

Ted

If you go with guages which does help while underway in avoiding extra trips into the ER please also put in sight guages. As said KISS and totally reliable readout. Even having guages shouldn’t alleviate the need for taking a look see in the ER (and lazerette if necessary). Those visits are still necessary so you don’t really get much beyond some convenience with guages.
Like others have tank tenders. Seem to work well. On a prior boat had Phillipi ultrasound for all tanks. No tubes nor floats to hang up. think systems like that are the best. Even so spec’d dipsticks on the fuel tanks. For fuel and water think you want a simple foolproof backup even if you have guages.

Last edited:
My sight gauges were not very accessible so I added remote tubes and put senders in them. Working great.

Quote - I think you are replacing the most accurate system with an inferior system. unquote

Absolutely no point in doing this for a boat which goes for months on a tank. Totally pointless! Spend your money on something useful!

I have never found any electric gauges to as accurate as your site tubes.

Why remove the site glass? You could add a Tee and have both. For me its not worth it, but for some it may.

Good thing I didnt ask for anyones permission.
Reasons for my particular modification:
1) sight tubes not readily accessible, especially underway.
2) can now plumb in sender signal to Cerbo GX tank monitor for display on touch 50 or plotter.
3) with signal plumbed into cerbo and the Lte 4g modem added, can monitor tanks from home. Monitoring will consist of several items eventually, including fuel level, bilge level, Ruvvi temp/GPS locator and shore power/ electrical activity.

May not be what others want to do, but its what I wanted to do.

Back
Top Bottom