Oil change w/ XChangeR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Xchanger

Xchanger plumbed to engine and genny. No problem pulling oil out.

How many of you who have some thing similar use it to put fresh oil back into the engine and genny??.

PO said he did not use it to put fresh oil back in.:blush:

I never use mine to put oil in; dirty and mixed oils remain in the tubing.

Out, never in...

Out is good but new oil in is risky. Aside from mixing new with old is the potential for the pump impeller parts being pumped into your engine(s)/marine gears.

Xchanger plumbed to engine and genny. No problem pulling oil out.

How many of you who have some thing similar use it to put fresh oil back into the engine and genny??.

PO said he did not use it to put fresh oil back in.:blush:

I have a X/ChangeR on my Mainship. When I went to drain the oil from the engine, it had what looked like clean oil in the tube coming out of the pump so I both drained and then refilled using the X/ChangeR. Same with the generator. I had to disconnect the engine line and use a piece of vinyl tubing to drain the transmission, but I refilled by adding oil manually. BTW I found the transmission had a filter AFTER draining and refilling so I'll be doing this again and refilling with fresh transmission fluid. (New boat to me, still learning.)

Out is good but new oil in is risky. Aside from mixing new with old is the potential for the pump impeller parts being pumped into your engine(s)/marine gears.

It will be minimal-to-nil, and besides you have the residue left in the oil pan. So it is not risky at all, and you have a brand new oil filter.

I never use mine to put oil in; dirty and mixed oils remain in the tubing.

What is the effect of a couple of ounces of dirty oil on a sump that holds several gallons? My oil change is around 7 gallons, I can’t see a tiny bit of old oil doing the slightest bit of harm.

Woodland Hills is spot on, except it's not even a couple of ounces unless your pump is extremely weak. It's a total non-factor, even more so if you do your changes religiously.

Yeah that big ol' Yanmar certainly fills the space available in an impressive fashion. I can access batteries and a/c pump and other stuff at front of the engine through a small access door under the steps down into the cabin, and I can step down in behind the engine to access coolers, generator, fuel valves, etc. I use two old throwable seat cushions on top of the engine to I can lie down on it if necessary to mess about with stuff like the raw water pump (lower left and forward). I can (and must) remove and install it one-handed; luckily I am left handed. I am way older than 50 and it takes a day to recover from such silly activities.

Rich, when I had my Pilot and had to access the side of my engine, I would go through that access door under the companionway and wgill through.....work on whatever I was working on....then keep moving forward and up and out behind the engine into the cockpit. I never would go backwards....

I would also leave a "float plan" with my significant other and tell her that if she does not hear from me in XX amount of minutes, to send someone out to come look for me as I might be stuck!!!! No kidding!!

As to the OP question, I use it both ways. My fill caps go right against the ceiling. Yes there is an access panel in the salon above them, but why risk a mess when it is so easy to fill them at the pump. One brand is not called "REVERSO" for nothing!!!

I'm a "pump out" and manually pour in and works quite well.

Agree that the miniscule old oil left over is a non issue.

Back
Top Bottom