NL 12.5 genny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Help this is driving me crazy. Does anyone know where this wire goes? Everything seems to be working fine. But this loose wire is driving me crazy. Thanks

I took pictures. Still trying to figure how to them posted

Go to the home page. Go to the section about how to use the forum. There is a sticky post in the top couple of posts on how to post a photo.

0A9238EC-0C9D-4E83-9D77-20F456A08E9A.jpg

59520322-DC9B-4E78-B66C-17B21077FB50.jpg

Both pics should be rotated 90 deg.

It’s the two gray wires connected to the oring terminal.

Just below the wires there is a, I guess an oil pressure safety switch. In the top are threads for something. Maybe it connects there. Don’t want to try it without advice. Thanks

Start by downloading the owners manual and the parts books from the NL web site. These are both important to have on hand.

The OM shows the wiring. The gray wire is the fault shutdown circuit. There are three safety switches daisy chained together with the gray wire, and if any of those switches detects a fault it grounds the gray wire and shuts down the generator. The three switches are 1) low oil pressure, 2) high coolant temp, and 3) high exhaust temp. Don't confuse these safety switches with the oil pressure and coolant temp senders which are used for the gauges.

Given the location, that is probably the connection for the oil pressure switch. Someone disconnected it because the switch is defective, or they were diagnosing an issue and forgot to reconnect it. First locate the switch, which can be in different locations depending on the configuration of the generator. The parts book shows the locations. You can test the oil pressure switch with a meter. The electrical connection point should have continuity to ground when the generator is off, and when it's running it should be open. You could also test by starting the generator and while it's running, touch the gray wire ring terminal to the terminal on the oil pressure switch. If the engine shuts down then the switch is defective and should be replaced.

Either way, it's an important safety switch and is worth the time to get it working properly.

Any numbers or letters on it? Off the cuff I’d assume it’s a ground wire. Fist checking with a meter to. Any bolts taken off recently?

Took your advice. Downloaded manual. It’s a high temp switch wire. Something I might need connected. Lol. Manual didn’t show location but I found it. The P.O. installed a new Gen just before I bought it. Must have been a factory uh oh. All good now. Thanks guys.
PS. I need to update my info. Sold my 41 Litton. Now have a 1980 43’ DeFever.

Took your advice. Downloaded manual. It’s a high temp switch wire. Something I might need connected. Lol. Manual didn’t show location but I found it. The P.O. installed a new Gen just before I bought it. Must have been a factory uh oh. All good now. Thanks guys.
PS. I need to update my info. Sold my 41 Litton. Now have a 1980 43’ DeFever.

Someone disconnected it for a reason, so don't be surprised if you get an automatic shut down after running a while. I assuming it's the coolant high temp switch, not the exhaust high temp switch? Both need to be hooked up. If either is shutting down the engine, then either a real problem (check with an IR thermometer to get a second opinion on actual temps), or a bad switch which should be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom