new member long time boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg QS

Vessel Name
Quiet Storm
Vessel Make
Nordlund 61
Good morning all. Just joined the site since we moved on from our 42 sf to a 61 trawler. So far we are loving it . We are in Raritan bay on the NJ side and are having a blast exploring the long island sound .I have been on forum sites before. I am a great general knowledge boater with tone of helpful info if wanted. Don't be afraid to reach out to me. I thoroughly Enjoy helping all with boating issues, solutions, repairs, electronics and anything boat related. I am skilled in fiberglass, mechanics, general boat repair and carpentry.

Good morning,
I’m a new member and own a 2012 Ranger R-21EC Tug Boat with a Yanmar diesel. My first year on the water figuring the boats behaviour as it’s my first inboard. She is a slow but steady mover in forward and confusing in reverse. Anyone have ideas to help me figure this out? I suppose knowing where the rudder position is would make a difference as I thought I marked that on the wheel spoke. Anyone have an answer?
WarrenT

Welcome guys.

Good morning,
I’m a new member and own a 2012 Ranger R-21EC Tug Boat with a Yanmar diesel. My first year on the water figuring the boats behaviour as it’s my first inboard. She is a slow but steady mover in forward and confusing in reverse. Anyone have ideas to help me figure this out? I suppose knowing where the rudder position is would make a difference as I thought I marked that on the wheel spoke. Anyone have an answer?
WarrenT

I don't count on steering in reverse. My boat doesn't do that. My boat will always pull to starboard in reverse, more or less depending on rudder position.

Look up and study "prop walk".

A fairly in depth topic but boats vary wildly in handling characteristics in reverse due to this attribute of many single engine inboards.

Last edited:
My understanding is that inboards don’t have ‘prop walk’!

My understanding is that inboards don’t have ‘prop walk’!

Ha ha ha.

To the OP. I expect you have hydraulic steering. If so then marking the steering wheel does nothing because the wheel position changes, your indexing (zero) is constantly changing. Turn hard over and the rudder stops but you can still turn the wheel, changing your index. If you have a second steering station, using that wheel changes the indexing because one wheel doesn’t move the other one. Marking the wheel position only works on a mechanical steering system like cable steering, chain steering or chain and rod.

Prop walk is a feature of a boat. It is a useful tool but frustrating as h**l until you learn how to use it.

If you have a large rudder, get the boat moving in reverse then put it in neutral and steer with the rudder. Another way is to get the boat moving in reverse, as it turns where you don’t want it, give it a momentary forward gear with the rudder turned to correct it. The boat continues backing as the forward thrust should only be enough to correct the steering, not change direction.

Greetings,
Mr. WT. SOME boats don't have usable prop walk but most do. Spring for some lessons and then practice, practice, practice.

Back
Top Bottom