Just another day…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
…on the North coast, WCVI.

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

So is it a love/ hate relationship? Explain it to a life long east coaster. I can't imagine living in an area with more grey skies than blue and more wet days than dry.

My wife lived in SeaTac for a while and loved it! Not me....is it a boaters paradise? Or just nurture over nature??

We have a wind advisory up for that time frame but not for that strong of wind, thankfully!
Daughter lives in Nanaimo and their forecast is similar to ours with gusts to 50 mph/80 kmph

The sun came out in the eye of the storm today. quite pleasant actually on the wet coast

68, gusting 87 kts at Solander at midnight last night.

Jim

Wifey B: Sure glad to live in Fort Lauderdale, where we don't have storms and things like that. :rofl:

So is it a love/ hate relationship? Explain it to a life long east coaster. I can't imagine living in an area with more grey skies than blue and more wet days than dry.

My wife lived in SeaTac for a while and loved it! Not me....is it a boaters paradise? Or just nurture over nature??

it's awful here. don't come. tell everyone you see not to come here. it rains every day of the year. not just rain, heavy rain. every. single. day. ;)

it's awful here. don't come. tell everyone you see not to come here. it rains every day of the year. not just rain, heavy rain. every. single. day. ;)
We like green (a lot.) North side of boats (& skippers) here are green.

And the seagulls here have to wear rain gear almost all the time. Stories of drought are all fake news.

Outside of Alaska (and maybe the Great Lakes) the Salish is the best cruising ground in North America. Only so many days in a row one can slather the sunscreen on and motor up and down appreciating Florida beach real estate development or hit Catalina - again :hide:

Last edited:
Outside of Alaska (and maybe the Great Lakes) the Salish is the best cruising ground in North America. Only so many days in a row one can slather the sunscreen on and motor up and down appreciating Florida beach real estate development or hit Catalina - again :hide:

Wifey B: While you're hiding, don't forget the hundreds and hundreds of islands just off our coast or the access to the entire East Coast and Gulf Coast. :D

I loved our PNW and Alaska cruising. Had I been born there, I wouldn't mind the climate. However. just as those of you there would be blinded by our sunshine, I'd be darkened in spirit by your climate. If forced, I would find ways to enjoy. When younger perhaps I would have adapted easier.

I also recognize the ferocity of the winds mentioned in this thread. Yet, my first thought here is that's not even hurricane force. However, one of the saddest aspects of hurricanes of recent years has been those hitting in areas not at all equipped to handle them. I hope all are able to successfully avoid any damage or risk. :)

Wifey B:
I also recognize the ferocity of the winds mentioned in this thread. Yet, my first thought here is that's not even hurricane force. However, one of the saddest aspects of hurricanes of recent years has been those hitting in areas not at all equipped to handle them. I hope all are able to successfully avoid any damage or risk. :)

In actual fact, the wind reports that began this thread are for places few of us have been, and those of us who have been there didn't go at this time of the year.
Where we usually cruise is protected. Today's forecast of high winds in these protected waters were much less than those winds of Storm force (or higher). We travelled across Stuart Channel on the ferry today, in ~30 knots in the morning and ~8 coming back this afternoon. Houstoun Passage saw 8 to 10 this morning and is presently under 5.
The Environment Canada reports are for large areas, and in order to protect those who need to rely on those reports, always report the highest winds in the entire reporting sector, even though much of the sector will not see winds of such significance.

When it's easy or the weather is usually nice, I don't think you savor how wonderful a place is or a given trip has the possibility of being.

Isle Royale in Lake Superior is like that. There's an elevated degree in difficulty to get there, and it only gets tougher after that. But when you get those perfect days....

Ted

Btw the first 25 years of my boating life were on the Cumberland, Tennessee and Ohio river systems and along Georgia’s Gold Coast. I can still do the heat, but I prefer the Northwest. Oh, and Lake Superior too, I spent three summers on Isle Royale.

Nevada? Purgatory ;)

Back
Top Bottom