Is this a failed bottom paint job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
We had one coat of blue Interlux Micron CSC Extra applied for $1200 while our Mariner 37 was in storage last winter. The summer was typical in western Lake Erie as was our excursion pattern. Weekends, but the boat sits in warm, shallow fresh water all week for the whole summer. Sad, I know.

Anyway, I could see the usual growth at the waterline and a haul out on Friday, the build up looked the same as years past. It all came off easily with the power washer. The water on the ground beneath the boat as the power washer was very blue. The attached picture makes it look like a reflection of the blue sky, but it was definitely the blue from the blue bottom paint.

Is that normal, or is that an indication of some problem with the paint or its application?

Attachments

• IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 147
We had one coat of blue Interlux Micron CSC Extra applied for $1200 while our Mariner 37 was in storage last winter. The summer was typical in western Lake Erie as was our excursion pattern. Weekends, but the boat sits in warm, shallow fresh water all week for the whole summer. Sad, I know.

Anyway, I could see the usual growth at the waterline and a haul out on Friday, the build up looked the same as years past. It all came off easily with the power washer. The water on the ground beneath the boat as the power washer was very blue. The attached picture makes it look like a reflection of the blue sky, but it was definitely the blue from the blue bottom paint.

Is that normal, or is that an indication of some problem with the paint or its application?

Your paint is ablative, and you blew some of it off, or all.

You don't "blow" ablative paint off, you wear it off.

Seems like all paint when applied thick enough fails in chunks.

Yes, if you use an ablative paint, the power washer will knock some off. Same concept as traveling fast enough for the paint to shed the surface clean. Was that a before and after picture? If the left picture was after, there looks to be a prep issue before painting.

Strongly encourage people to read the paint can (available online) to understand what's normal and how long the boat can be out of the water before the paint looses its effectiveness.

Ted

Last edited:
No, nothing wrong with the paint, but I suspect boatyard went overboard buying a very very high pressure washer. Higher pressure means faster throughput so more income with less labor costs

The same boatyard did the surface prep, bottom paint, and power washing at haul out. It's a huge operation (at least for western Lake Erie) with an excellent reputation. I'll see what they say.

Ablative is intended to wear away exposing fresh a/f, and hopefully not build up to need stripping. Provided there were no bare areas and more went on, can`t see a problem. If we brush the waterline I see color in the water.

Looks normal. Here's an example.2071995650.jpg

After a Great Lakes yard crew blew off much of a new ablative bottom job (17 years ago) I insisted on running the power washer myself for subsequent haulouts. Stand a goodly distance away and hit it lightly with continuous sweeping motion. Further, I would always launch the dink and clean the entire scum line with soft brushes a day or two prior to haulout. Great Lakes yards tend to assign summer help to bottom wash jobs. Even experienced staff often don't get the flick regarding ablative paint. The amount of blue in your photo looks excessive (to my 16 years experienced eyes). If the damage is obvious, I'd have a talk with marina management.

Last edited:
We painted our ourselves and then pressure washed ourselves at haulout time. About 6 months in fresh water, we did get a bit of blue in the runoff but not near what it looks like others have shown.

Honestly. The only bottom paint, Newport, Jamestown and all the way south…..no one there uses anything but SEA HAWk. NO ONE. None of them ever send a boat south without it, and it is absolutely better and far less expensive than your other options, and no one, including the top sailing ocean racers in the world, ever use Micron. Just one guys opinion and insight. I know I will, as usual, be blasted by the intelligentsia on this site.

Honestly. The only bottom paint, Newport, Jamestown and all the way south…..no one there uses anything but SEA HAWk. NO ONE. None of them ever send a boat south without it, and it is absolutely better and far less expensive than your other options, and no one, including the top sailing ocean racers in the world, ever use Micron. Just one guys opinion

Except you don't offer this as an opinion. You state it as a fact. Good to know that you can speak for everybody that keeps a boat in the water in the southeast :lol:

Well thank you. I do not offer anything as an opinion, I offer it as fact. Good luck. Don’t contact me again.

I'm in SE Florida and use Micron CSC. Very happy two years later after last bottom paint job.

I guess all those non-Sea Hawk paint cans in the dumpsters at marinas were smuggled into Florida....by whom is the question? :rofl:

3 year old info from Practical Sailor Mag...so doubt a huge change.....

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/paints/favorite-bottom-paints-by-region

Southeast
In the warmer waters of the Southeast, the more potent modified epoxy (hard) paints were predominant. The single most popular paint in this region was Pettits Trinidad, although Interluxs Micron paints (Micron 66, Micron CSC, and Micron Extra) combined for a higher number of followers. Pettits Ultima SR 60, a high-strength ablative, and Hydrocoat SR, a water-based paint that attracts do-it-yourselfers with its easy cleanup and no odor, were also top contenders. Other popular Interlux paints included value-priced Bottomkote NT. Sea Hawks Cukote also turned up good numbers on the survey.

Last edited:
I use Micron CSC too. Our boat is in the St Lawrence River where there is always a little fresh water current. We paint one coat every two years as a top up. Marina uses a gentle rinse to get off the algae which only extends 18 inches down. Boat cleans up nice.

You don't "blow" ablative paint off, you wear it off.

Seems like all paint when applied thick enough fails in chunks.
I'm guessing that the power washer might simulate the boat going through the water at about 1000 MPH.

Seahawk what? I’ve used seahawk Monterey with fair to poor results in SWFL. After 5 months had 3/8 to 1/2” barnacle growth at haul out. Last year Pettit Horizon was even worse. Short 3 months season and had 1/4” to 3/8” barnacles over 50 percent of the bottom. Trying ACT this season.

Seahawk what? I’ve used seahawk Monterey with fair to poor results in SWFL. After 5 months had 3/8 to 1/2” barnacle growth at haul out. Last year Pettit Horizon was even worse. Short 3 months season and had 1/4” to 3/8” barnacles over 50 percent of the bottom. Trying ACT this season.

Are you having monthly bottom cleaning done? I have mine cleaned on a 5 week cycle and have no problems at all. Been in the water almost 2 years after last bottom job using Micron CSC.

No. We have been moving weekly, about 200 hours runtime per season.

Back
Top Bottom