Is Autopilot Necessary In PNW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my first two boats didnt have it and all of the other boats ive operated didnt have it. my Mainship does, and now I wouldnt own a boat without it. A good friend would go from the Chesapeake to the Keys every year. two years ago the trip was so stressful because he didnt have an AP, he sold the boat.

Like many other captains here, I strongly suggest adding an autopilot. You never have to use it. You will likely be amazed how often you'll chose to use it.
Best of luck and happy cruising whatever you decide.
Capt, Kirk

Just added a Garmin to my trawler here in the PNW. Best thing I’ve done. Had strong winds yesterday and it held to a degree. A lot less fatiguing!

At age 70, I have made an offer on my first trawler after many years of sail. 1976 GB 36, well-maintained. Most importantly, my wife saw the boat yesterday and approved of the galley. Hull and complete engine surveys happening next week.
The boat does not have a functioning AP at the moment. Considering that our use will likely be day cruising and San Juan island trips rather than coastal or extended cruising, I'd appreciate thoughts from those of you with experience on whether the AP is essential or important for safety. I had an AP on my last sailboat, a Pearson 33, which was invaluable when I singlehanded and needed to hold course while raising and lowering sail. On the GB I always expect to have another person to helm while I move from lower to flybridge or use the head, and my practice is never to leave the helm when underway.
If not really necessary, then an expense and another system to maintain that won't be used much. But if those with experience think the AP is an important adddition I'll start research on what would integrate with the cable steering and Raymarine C140 plotter. Thanks for the assistance!
Yes, if you can, install an auto pilot. We have a remote with ours that makes it very easy to change course. Will your wife be helming? If not, that leaves you in a tough spot without an auto pilot. Enjoy!

At age 70, I have made an offer on my first trawler after many years of sail. 1976 GB 36, well-maintained. Most importantly, my wife saw the boat yesterday and approved of the galley. Hull and complete engine surveys happening next week.
The boat does not have a functioning AP at the moment. Considering that our use will likely be day cruising and San Juan island trips rather than coastal or extended cruising, I'd appreciate thoughts from those of you with experience on whether the AP is essential or important for safety. I had an AP on my last sailboat, a Pearson 33, which was invaluable when I singlehanded and needed to hold course while raising and lowering sail. On the GB I always expect to have another person to helm while I move from lower to flybridge or use the head, and my practice is never to leave the helm when underway.
If not really necessary, then an expense and another system to maintain that won't be used much. But if those with experience think the AP is an important adddition I'll start research on what would integrate with the cable steering and Raymarine C140 plotter. Thanks for the assistance!

I recently purchased a GB36 with a defunct AP. My other boat that I had for 30 years had a pilot and I wouldn’t be without one. If you’re steering to a compass course or a GPS line you’re watching that a good part of the time. I installed a Garmin pilot with a linear drive to the quadrant. It steers like a dream. If you’re just traveling inland waterways steering by hand is OK, but for any kind of open water a pilot is essential ….. to me.

Aren't APs considered a safety issue? What about keeping a boat on course in inclement weather, while someone requires medical attention?
The flip side of that is AP's can be a safety issue, making it very easy to get complacent on your lookout skills. As so clearly demonstrated here with the appropriately named Nap Tyme:

The flip side of that is AP's can be a safety issue, making it very easy to get complacent on your lookout skills. As so clearly demonstrated here with the appropriately named Nap Tyme:
Don’t blame that on the AP. 100% operator fault.

Let’s put this back in context. Pleasure boat had right of way over ferry. Pleasure boat’s captain left the helm to sit on the toilet. Both captains were found to be at fault. One for leaving the helm unattended and failing to avoid a collision. The other for failing to yield right away and avoiding a collision.

Trying to use this example to suggest AP can contribute is like saying you can fix stupid.

In my experience, an auto-pilot is a necessity. Even if you're only going to drive an hour or two, the relief of having the wheel handled by Otto is not to be underestimated. My 1982 GB 36 has a Robertson (nee Simrad) auto-pilot handling steering and navigating chores through a Raymarine C-127 MFD. GB's of this era have cable steering. Allowing it to navigate to your predefined waypoint is quite a blessing. I barely touch the wheel except in the beginning and at the destination.

Not a necessity, but I would make sure to put one on any boat that I owned if it didn't have one already.

Trying to use this example to suggest AP can contribute is like saying you can fix stupid.
My point still stands. AP can lead to complacency. People do stupid stuff all the time while on autopilot. You might not be able to fix, but you can’t deny it either.

My point still stands. AP can lead to complacency. People do stupid stuff all the time while on autopilot. You might not be able to fix, but you can’t deny it either.
I am not saying that your statement is wrong. I am saying that the example posted has nothing to do with complacency.

Has anyone mentioned that helming at trawler speed is just really boring and that having an AP allows you to other things to help break the boredom.

Something I gather that is quite specific to the PNW is logs in the water. On my last trip if I had been running on AP (and not paying close attention) I would have run over 3 good size logs. This on a four hour run - two out two back. I really don't see the advantage in these waters, you have to be paying close attention at all times to what is in the water in front of you. I am not doing anything else but scanning in front of me AP or not. I have even run over a log when paying close attention - the log in question was almost a deadhead hidden in chop - impossible to see until it was too late. Going slow enough that the boat just pushed the log down and we went over it, no damage done but that was luck ... AP just makes it too easy for my attention to wander.

you have to be paying close attention at all times to what is in the water in front of you.
Exactly, situational awareness. But who said with autopilot on you can stop paying attention. Thus the benefit is from not having to steer while looking about.

I remember seeing a survey of yachts crossing the Atlantic. Those where the vessel was hand steered from the cockpit saw x number of other vessels on the crossing. Those on autopilot with the watch keeper in the cockpit saw about 1/3rd less. Those on autopilot with the watch keeper in the pilot house saw about 1/3rd less again.

I remember seeing a survey of yachts crossing the Atlantic. Those where the vessel was hand steered from the cockpit saw x number of other vessels on the crossing. Those on autopilot with the watch keeper in the cockpit saw about 1/3rd less. Those on autopilot with the watch keeper in the pilot house saw about 1/3rd less again.
I can think of two reasons why boats with no AP saw more traffic.

First, hand steering over long distances is very exhausting and plays havoc with the mind. They saw ships that weren't there - apparitions (anyone remember the Donald Crowhurst story?).

Second possible explanation. Most people don't hand steer very well - I know I don't. These boats actually traveled twice as far so in reality, they saw comparatively less traffic.

Peter

Last edited:
When you hand steer you are far more engaged with the voyage. With AP on the ocean you look around every now and then for safety, then read for a while or whatever.
But back to the PNW I think AP is more or less essential because of the fog. Once course is set you can spend more time watching for logs and radar/AIS for other vessels

Been on the water since I was a tyke. Turned professional in 1970. First autopilot 1983. A Wood Freeman, all it did was hold a heading. Now with AP tied to plotter I set a waypoint and it will maintain course over ground. Wouldn't be without one. I feel it adds to safety. Set the course, pay attention to plotter, sounder, traffic, VHF, AIS. Instead of staring at the compass card or a point ahead to hold course. If you haven't got the discipline to pay attention you shouldn't be at the helm, AP or not.

Had no idea my question about AP in the NW would generate so much interest. And like most things boats, lots of different opinions. After hand steering from Anacortes to Seattle (about a 7 hour run) with 1 crew with me to take a turn at the helm, I found it fun to be holding course myself rather than turning it over to the AP. Of course, the boat is new to me and everything is exciting. I'm replacing the old Raymarine C140 with a new Raymarine MFD, and they are looking at the original Benmar AP to let me know the cost to upgrade with a new Raymarine controller. Depending on the cost, I may wait until another season and continue to steer by hand for a while. The takeaway is that vigilance and situational awareness is critical no matter who or whatis doing the steering. Appreciate all of the comments.

Using AP in the fog is the one situation where it is really useful. I was heading north approaching Point No Point and could see a really thick fog bank. Radar showed the usual scattered fishing boats and a couple of larger targets heading south to clear the Point (I was out of the traffic lane). I put the VHF on listen, slowed down, and was squinting into the fog. I'd look down at the compass and see that I was more than 15 degrees off course. Make a correction, peer into the fog some more, and I'd be 20 degrees off the other way. Of course, the targets on the radar now made little sense. And I'm sure that I made no sense to the approaching vessels. I slowed down more and turned on the AP. There are worse things to hit than logs.

Even with my AP in stand-by mode, it has a rudder indicator function that is useful. It would have helped me that day in the fog and comes in handy when entering tight spots.

Using AP in the fog is the one situation where it is really useful. I was heading north approaching Point No Point and could see a really thick fog bank. Radar showed the usual scattered fishing boats and a couple of larger targets heading south to clear the Point (I was out of the traffic lane). I put the VHF on listen, slowed down, and was squinting into the fog. I'd look down at the compass and see that I was more than 15 degrees off course. Make a correction, peer into the fog some more, and I'd be 20 degrees off the other way. Of course, the targets on the radar now made little sense. And I'm sure that I made no sense to the approaching vessels. I slowed down more and turned on the AP. There are worse things to hit than logs.

Even with my AP in stand-by mode, it has a rudder indicator function that is useful. It would have helped me that day in the fog and comes in handy when entering tight spots.

I mentioned that in my short post #19. The longer version is that we first left the dock in Hampton, could see a bit until we got into the Elizabeth River, couldn't see squat, no sense of direction, no idea where our steering corrections were going... and we only got control of the boat by switching to AP.

Fog eventually lifted...

But the second part of all that, later in the same day, fog came in again, and it took us about 4-5 hours to do our remaining one-hour distance. Wide water, but skinny channel, fixed ATONs to heed but also avoid, 3 and then 4 boats in a "train" heading to Coinjock (agreed on VHF to 6 kts or less, to avoid each other). No visual feedback, no clue where we were going without using the AP to steer.

Radar, good charts/plotter, and good GPS were all crucial, of course... and AIS was also useful in the second episode since all 4 boats were transmitting... but even knowing where we were "on the chart" didn't give much of an instant clue about how to hand steer.

We arrived in Coinjock, still couldn't see to dock... they had to talk us in: move the bow 2' to port... 1' to starboard... 1' more to port... OK we've got you...

Stiff beverage to follow...

-Chris

I would not consider a trawler without an autopilot. My first trawler was a 34' CHB with an old Benmar autopilot. It would not hold a straight course so I searched for an upgrade and found ComNav, they made / make an upgrade for the old Benmar style mechanical autopilots, mine was a chain / cable steering style with a rotary gearbox drive, the ComNav was / is an easy retrofit using the Benmar drive. I chose the 1420 due to my budget at the time, but it would steer a perfectly straight heading or would navigate from a NEMA 0183 connection to your GPS.
My screen name "Gettaway" was the name of my CHB 34 and was a featured installation on the ComNav website.
Featured Installations | ComNav Marine Ltd.

Robert Beebe, in Voyaging Under Power, gave three reasons for an autopilot. It never gets seasick, it never complains, and it never talks back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom