Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If , one day :)

we found a customer for our boat and we still looking for smaller

the size of the Byglia or little longer like the Kanter who was for sale ( I want buy it but my wife said : sold the actual before !! ok boss :) )
I ask for more detail on this motorized hull but don't get answer during month and finally when the broker answer it was for said : under offer :blush:
May be if he answer to my question I made a "mutinerie" against my admiral...may be ?

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Capture254.JPG
    Capture254.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2023-02-09-00-33-25 - Copie (2) - Copie.jpg
    2023-02-09-00-33-25 - Copie (2) - Copie.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2023-02-09-00-32-57 - Copie.jpg
    2023-02-09-00-32-57 - Copie.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 55
Regarding post 13225 about tunnel drives.

i had a Penn Yan with tunnel drive, I loved the boat and the tunnel drive. It was mezmorizing watching the water come out of the stern at 25 or 30 mph. It was an undescribable amount of water. Must have been a lot of wasted energy moving that much water through a tunnel.

pete

Think Kort and how much energy is lost off the outside edges of a non confined prop. Been reading about jet drives which I thought were inefficient. Was surprised to find out in the designed operating speed they’re no worse than a standard prop system operating on a similar boat at that speed range.

Tunnels aren't necessarily inefficient if done well, although some tunnel drive setups put the top of the tunnel too close to the surface, which causes some losses (I've seen mention of tunnel extensions to a foot or so behind the transom on some Bayliners producing a noticeable performance gain). Tunnels also tend to hurt maneuverability (typically less prop walk and depending on how everything is proportioned, you may have less rudder effectiveness at high angles).

Seen at Port Sidney
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 346
Tunnels aren't necessarily inefficient if done well, although some tunnel drive setups put the top of the tunnel too close to the surface, which causes some losses (I've seen mention of tunnel extensions to a foot or so behind the transom on some Bayliners producing a noticeable performance gain). Tunnels also tend to hurt maneuverability (typically less prop walk and depending on how everything is proportioned, you may have less rudder effectiveness at high angles).

There used to be a company operating out of Solomons Island MD, (technically Lusby, but in the same harbor) called Ocean Tech in the 1990's that was injecting air into drive tunnels and running surface piercing propellers. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it greatly but they built some fast boats. I believe they did use a Penn Yan for one of the prototypes but the new builds where pretty big and fast. I just found a company on the web of the same name with stern mounted units, probably the same company or some evolution of it.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the original ship, once built as sea tug Clyde for Smit Internationale.
The sister ship Elbe still sails in original condition in the Netherlands, as a museum ship.

xVXe3o0.jpg

https://youtu.be/rtP7e3x0K2E

The ships built after this series are in my opinion the most beautiful sea tugs ever.
Slightly larger and a brilliant interplay of lines.
At that time they were the strongest sea tugs in the world, the Black Sea and the White Sea.

sK1HCva.jpg

Funny story my last name is Smit and one of my great great ancestors (in Holland) was the brother of the Smit of Smit ships. I am not rich because my anscestor wanted nothing to do with that newfangled steel construction, he was going to stick with tried and true wood. [emoji23][emoji51]

Funny story my last name is Smit and one of my great great ancestors (in Holland) was the brother of the Smit of Smit ships. I am not rich because my anscestor wanted nothing to do with that newfangled steel construction, he was going to stick with tried and true wood. [emoji23][emoji51]

Unfortunately, Smit Internationale is defunct after an illustrious past!
The company, founded in 1842, was taken over by Boskalis in 2010, which was recently in the news with the pulling of the container ship in the Suez Canal.

Tunnel drives never were popular. I wonder why

Dan I’ve thought of tunnels and have concluded they “suck” the boat down.

As in there is an opposite and equal reaction to any other action.
In the tunnel drive .. boat moves over/through the water and since water follows a curved surface the water (heavy) rises quickly in the fwd end of the tunnel. The water is first thrust upward and slows and as a result the tunnel shape. Also the surface area of the tunnel is greater than the hull bottom so even more extra drag.

Just too much extra drag and turbulence IMO.

Regarding post 13225 about tunnel drives.

i had a Penn Yan with tunnel drive, I loved the boat and the tunnel drive. It was mezmorizing watching the water come out of the stern at 25 or 30 mph. It was an undescribable amount of water. Must have been a lot of wasted energy moving that much water through a tunnel.

pete

I also had Penn Yan (24ft). Kept it in the FL keys for lobster diving. Worked great for that. Large cockpit, plenty of room, really shallow draft. However, it was not efficient nor fast. Perfect for my operation.

I also had Penn Yan (24ft)...Perfect for my operation.

It was also great at soaking down people on the dock with the rooster tail. Not that I'd know first-hand or anything :whistling:

here is an interesting project: pics in ad

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-unique-one-of-its-kind-40/7627844035.html

1993 40’ Willard Marine naval personnel launch boat. This launch boat was stored in a naval boat shed in San Diego California for over 25 years, and was never pressed into service, thus no name was assigned to this boat only its original hull number. The windows were boarded up and the interior has finally seen sunlight after all this time. Technically, it’s a new boat, and it can be considered a barn find.

Boat name: None
Hull # 12MPE9209
16,000lbs. dry weight
42” Draft Fully Loaded
40’OAL
11’-9” Beam
GRP Hull & Superstructure Full Displacement W/Keel
26” Bronze Prop
Twin 75 Gallon Fuel Tanks Gravity Fed
Forward & Aft Bilge Pumps 24 Volt
Manually Hand Operated Edson Bilge Pump
Cummins 6BTA 5.9 220HP M2 Engine
Engine hours: 10
Twin Disc MG 506A RH Rotation 2.50 to 1 Transmission
Commercial 24 volt electrical system
Hydraulic Steering
Second auxiliary rudder
Flock system to drain engine & transmission fluids

Built to NAVSEA specifications, this boat is number 9 of 9 of these unique launch boats produced by Willard Marine with this full displacement hull design. There were hundreds of other 40' personnel boats made by Willard but with semi displacement hull designs. Documented average speed during test trials at Willard Marine before turning it over to the Navy was 18.76 knots with the stock single engine 220 HP 6BTA 5.9 Cummins with a Twin Disc 2.5 to 1 transmission. The engine is all analog with no troublesome electronic sensors.

Attachments

• willard.jpg
    willard.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 46
The Willard looks like an interesting boat. Since the seller didn't feel the need to post a price, I guess it's free!:D

This is very interesting! I’ve always fantasized about finding a ‘new’ old something squirreled away in a barn somewhere, because I tend to like older boats and cars more than newer designs. This one wouldn’t be my dream find, but it’s certainly very interesting! It’s definitely the only ‘new’ 1993 Willard Navy launch in the world, the last new old-school analog diesel engine.

What would you do with it? People have converted these gigs to pleasure boats before. It would need a complete interior, plus build a center pilot house of some kind.

Probably no way it could be cost-effective to pay a yard to do it, but for someone handy enough to do the work themselves (not me) it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Depending on price. I wonder what he would sell it for?

Willard Launch

He claims he'll sell it for between $100k and $300k . . .

So, for some where between $100,000.00 and $300,000.00 you can own a BRAND NEW thirty year old boat. I wonder what type of "brand new boat warranty" he is including with the sale?:whistling:Yeah, that is orders of magnitude more than what I thought it was worth . . . Real cool boat, but . . . .

What would you do with it? People have converted these gigs to pleasure boats before. It would need a complete interior, plus build a center pilot house of some kind.

I recently saw a sister ship in FL that had a pilothouse built in the middle. Don't know how much the interior was modified, but it looked pretty good on the outside. The boat was painted naval grey. Should have taken a pic.

I have a 50' version of the hull, originally built as an open boat. There are a few conversions around, on 33', 40' and 50'.

I'm not sure I buy the seller's claim that this one is different from all the other 40' PBs built. It looks like the others I've seen.

Last edited:

So, for some where between $100,000.00 and $300,000.00 you can own a BRAND NEW thirty year old boat. I wonder what type of "brand new boat warranty" he is including with the sale?:whistling:Yeah, that is orders of magnitude more than what I thought it was worth . . . Real cool boat, but . . . .

His best bet may be to find a charitable group and donate it at a hefty valuation. Quite a few of the surplus boats were donated by the USN over the years to various groups, and the rest tendered out, usually for not much $$.

Somewhere between $100k and $300k?!?!?

Seriously?!?!?!

:rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::rofl::lol::ermm::ermm::ermm:

If that's really what the seller is looking for, then he's not seriously trying to sell the boat. He's in the 'I know what I've got' category and looking for a sucker.

I'm with you. I think knock a zero off that price range and it's probably in the right ballpark.

I guess he must believe in P.T. Barnum's saying "There's a sucker born every minute."

Back
Top Bottom