Hydraulic Steering Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We've had our boat almost 10 years and put more than 4,000 miles under the keel. We steer 90% of the time in the pilothouse. In all that time, the upper steering has always been "looser" and had less resistance than the lower helm. Until a week ago... Now the lower station feels like the upper. Too loose.

So I checked the fluid on the flybridge and I'm pretty darn sure it's not supposed to be orange!!!

My thoughts are perhaps water has gotten into the fluid? Also, the lower station has always had a bit of a hitch in it. While steering it will sometimes lose resistance for less than a second. I always assumed that was air in the system.

Now, after discovering orangey fluid at the top of the system, I'm guessing I will need to change out ALL the fluid? Or do I just need to bleed the system and top off until the orange is gone?

It's a late '70s Wagner steering system.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Fluid.jpg
    Hydraulic Fluid.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 15
I would flush the system. The orange doesn’t look good to me. Then refill and check for leaks.

Ick. I'd try to flush it out, I think. That could be late 70s fluid that's now evolving...

Ick. I'd try to flush it out, I think. That could be late 70s fluid that's now evolving...

LOL! More like devolving... :D

Does it glow in the dark and make growling noises?

You probably have a cross-over valve near the rudder. When this open, allows the oil to circulate. When you flush with fresh oil, open this and circulate the oil in addition to closing it to ensure oil is passed through the cylinder. Also use the A/P pump liberally. Then change oil and go from there. I've never seen this in steering so can't really comment besides agree with others that it does look like moisture.

Good luck - please update.

Peter

A Wagner system of that vintage probably used hydraulic oil. The ones I'm familiar with of that age used AW32 or similar. That oil when new and clean will be clear. A light amber. Not much darker than water. As it ages it acquires a brown tint. What I see in your pic seems to be oil emulsified with water. If it has a creamy appearance, sort of like the foam on the top of a latte, then it is very likely contaminated with water. Time for a complete flush and monitor. Also find the source of the water,

It looks like you have some mixture of water, power steering fluid and rust!
flush the system then fill with new fluid!
A question to the group: will flushing the system with diesel fuel as a cleaning agent be possible in this case?

My system is likely similar , Wagner 250 pump, and of similar age, mine '77.
Yours may be the 275 pump?

I will admit mine was flushed many years ago when I needed to pull and reseal the cylinder. I took care of several leaks while the system was empty. No more leaks.

Is the photo of the top steering pump with the fill and vent exposed to the elements?

The only major place I could see water entering is if yours is vented by simply drilling a hole in the control panel so the vent faces up, capped with a pipe cap and the vent hole is drilled into the side of the vent cap. That's what your photo looks like.

I just realized that the nipple coming through the wood shown may not have been sealed to the pump case so water might enter there, slowly over the years, in rainstorms.

If that cap is not covered or does not have a slightly downturned tube soldered into the vent hole then in many rainstorms water may be driven into the cap. Especially so if the vent hole in the side faces even a hair up.

Mine is done like that but the whole of the upper steering station is canvas covered so no rain can be driven in.
I should change it with a short tube on a down angle or a slight downwards bend.

Mine uses Dexron auto trans fluid by Wagners suggestion.

Definitely flush it as the water will rust the steel components ruining the pump, both pumps if you have a lower station. Maybe damaging an autopilot pump also.

Darn, another project even though small.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom