Hello, I Might Get a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Rabbit

Hi! I have zero boat experience but I love marinas and have been looking at sites with trawlers for sale. I found you by Googling about how old is too old of a trawler and I appreciated the answers given I am hoping that when I go to buy, I can ask questions here. I am on a very limited budget. Thank you!

Have fun!

Mine will be 45 years old in a few days - :)

Hi and welcome to the site.
This is a great place to get some answers.

There is one caveat.

You will find that there are 2 types of trawler owners on here. Those that have unlimited funds and will only tell you to buy the best, spend tons of money, if you have to ask you cant afford it, etc etc. The other types are those that want to boat on a budget, don't have the biggest boat in the marina, enjoy the challenge of restoring an old boat, don't mind putting in the work, etc. Know which crowd you fall into and from which crowd you are getting advice.

Well, Max1’s two types noted above are the two extreme ends of the spectrum. Most trawler owners are somewhere in the middle.

Also, I believe the older you are and particularly if you aren’t very mechanically/electrically skilled you will gravitate to the first type. Then if you can’t afford that type of boat you probably shouldn’t buy one. I followed that principle through eight boats and at the age of 75 dropped out of trawlering when maintaining one got to be a chore.

David

Hi! I have zero boat experience but I love marinas and have been looking at sites with trawlers for sale. I found you by Googling about how old is too old of a trawler and I appreciated the answers given I am hoping that when I go to buy, I can ask questions here. I am on a very limited budget. Thank you!

Like for yourself, the question is not how old it is but how well it was maintained.
Then being on limited budget is one thing but will you be able to do any maintenance by yourself or do you have 10 thumbs and need to pay someone to do everything? Would your limited budget be enough to pay for minimal required maintenance, insurance, dock fees etc?

Many things to consider...

L

I'm 50 and while not mechanically inclined, don't intend to leave the marina. It's basically this or the streets�� My half of the equity in our house is not enough for a mobile home. I love the marina though and will do what it takes.

Hello water rabbit.
So given what you've stated, you are contemplating living on a boat rather than in a motorhome or in a house?

Okay, so what you're looking for is a live-aboard boat. More importantly, you will also need to find a marina that is amenable to live-aboards. Your challenge there for is to find
  • a boat of good value,
  • that can be insured, and
  • that can be docked at a marina that is live-aboard friendly.

You my friend have a lot of research to do. I suppose the most important thing to figure out is what Marina would have you as a live-aboard boater. Don't know what it's like in california, but from what I've read here, Florida is getting tougher and tougher to find a Marina that allows live-aboards.

From there you can find out what the slip cost is going to be given the cost per foot. Then you will have to shop for a boat that suits the marina, and your budget. And don't forget insurance, the boat has to be insurable . This involves something called a survey that is required before the insurance can underwrite your boat. Good luck. And keep us posted.

By the way, I have a boat that I purchased for a ridiculously low cost, that needed plenty of work. All done by myself. The net result, is about that my wife and I live on the boat all summer. We've been doing it for 2 years now, and it's heaven for us.

Last edited:
Well, on a limited budget. Are you mechanically inclined you need to ask your self? Are you ready to fix things when there broken? Ready to bottom paint? Have you looked to summer and winter storage rates?

Not trying to discourage you!! Just trying to educate you. A trawler is like a house but more...... Well work, and for us its a labor of love! Never mind the seamanship and on that note. I would take a U.S.C.G. boating class too.

What ever you buy, keep some money behind you as you would in owning a home. Look at as many boats as you can to see if you like the setup. GOOD LUCK!

Hi Max, I have researched the place. It has a wait list for smaller live aboards but not as long for larger. As I will probably get a smaller one, I will have to wait. Unfortunately you can't get on the list until you have the boat, and I can't get the boat until I get the money from my half of the house from the divorce. Oh well.

I'm not going anywhere in my boat and know how much I need to save for painting every two years, which is what the marina requires. I will be able to afford it for a few years at least. I definitely won't be fixing anything myself.

I'm not going anywhere in my boat and know how much I need to save for painting every two years, which is what the marina requires. I will be able to afford it for a few years at least. I definitely won't be fixing anything myself.

Sooner or later you will have to leave the marina or just move to another slip. Sometimes a hurricane moves though and off to the mooring you go.

The problem with Slip Queens is that they become boats with far more problems than boats that leave the docks from time to time.

Motors like to be used. Fuel needs to be used too, otherwise it goes bad just sitting in the tanks.

I see this all the time. Batteries are dead or weak. Engines don't start. Cables are stiff.

Good luck with one!

Well, this forum isn't the place for me. It turns out I was doing all right on my own. #OldLadyStrong

Hi Max, I have researched the place. It has a wait list for smaller live aboards but not as long for larger. As I will probably get a smaller one, I will have to wait. Unfortunately you can't get on the list until you have the boat, and I can't get the boat until I get the money from my half of the house from the divorce. Oh well.

Do you plan to operate your boat or just live aboard in the marina? Big difference in expenses.

If you'll operate it, are you mechanically inclined? Can you service engines, replace water heaters, repair boat plumbing issues, keep the various mechanicals and electrical systems operating without needing to hire a pro for each repair? If so, maybe trawlers are for you.

I bought my 1977 Californian 34 LRC in 2007 without knowing much about trawlers. I learned as I went but had the basic skills and tools to do almost all of the work myself or with fellow trawlermen. If I had to pay someone to fix, maintain or improve the boat each time it was needed, I would never have been able to continue boating. It's been a great ride and I strongly recommend it!! Today she's 46 years old and I have worked on just about every system except for my powered TV antenna!

Best of luck in the hunt. Post your favorite boat candidates and we'll help you along the way the best we can.

Welcome aboard!!

EDIT: Just read your post #17...nevermind...

Last edited:
Well, this forum isn't the place for me. It turns out I was doing all right on my own. #OldLadyStrong

#OldStrongLady might benefit from some #RealWorldExperiences. Folks here are trying to help you, not demean you.

Not sure what was your expectations from this forum?
For what I read people gave you answers to your question. If this was not your expectation maybe you can clarify what you are looking for.

L

Needs to buy a house boat already docked.

Suggest the Delta.

Don't be discouraged. I could tell you that all would be great! But what help would that be. As long as you the the money to hire people to fix things and run your boat when needed. Go for it:dance:

Just be prepared. Quick true story....... This guy I know had a Slip Queen and it just went back and forth to the slip and boat yard. After 4 years, water and junk built up in the tanks. It cost him about $10 a gal to be pumped out and disposed of.

But the real of fun boating is going places with friends. Seeing new things, meeting people new and old. But this takes some learning.

Last edited:
I have a 1983 37 aft cabin trawler for sale if interested?

Been thinking of selling my Grand Banks 36 Classic.

Intended to throw it up on a few sites in the spring of 24.

Fsarcone@gmail.com if you’re considering a Grand Banks Trawler.
http://boattest.com/article/grand-banks-our-story

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6057.jpg
    IMG_6057.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3956.jpg
    IMG_3956.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4658.jpg
    IMG_4658.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 14
Water Rabbit,
You don't tell us where you're located.
I have a lovely 1981 PT-38 Europa trawler in Seattle that (at 73yo) we'll be selling soon. We've owned and cared for her for almost 24 years. We're cruisers, not live aboard, but she's a perfect live aboard!
Marty@oppcam.com

I'm 50 and while not mechanically inclined, don't intend to leave the marina. It's basically this or the streets�� My half of the equity in our house is not enough for a mobile home. I love the marina though and will do what it takes.

Where are you located?

Ok, I’ll go out on a limb and make a few recommendations.
Since it sounds like you will be only the maid and not the mechanic you might consider a single engine ( a little bit more difficult to learn to drive in tight quarters, but you will need lessons from a Captain either way).

Decide what your budget is going to be including insurance, sales tax, slip fees and champagne. Only look at boats you can comfortably afford. Even if you mainly live on the boat you’ll have normal maintenance (oil changes, batteries, thru hull fittings, bottom paint, pumps, seals…). Wood is beautiful, but fiberglass needs less maintenance.

A boat is a lot of work, and you will undoubtedly learn about all of your boat’s systems in the process of owning one. If you embrace the challenge it can be a great experience, and good post divorce therapy.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom